Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle

  • Patricia Mize
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      I would not be able to live there, but would certainly come for vacation with the kids :)

      From: eowynesque2b@ aol.com <eowynesque2b@ aol.com>
      To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:28 PM

      do you mean activities that the guests can participate in....like a medieval
      dude ranch+

      think about:

      a hand or stand rug loom
      candle making
      bread baking
      spinning yard
      embroidery
      horseback riding
      archery practice
      canoeing around the mote
      even blacksmithing
      chopping firewood

      There is a place in SW Missouri called Silver Dollar City that started out
      as a place that showcased Pioneer skills, it is more of an amusement park
      now....but I fondly remember watching them blow glass, shoe horses, make
      horseshoes, carve wooden items....etc. ...

      Andrea in Calontir

      In a message dated 7/1/2008 6:00:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      pjfivekids@yahoo. com writes:

      sorry no i haven't been to Helen,Georgia. I actually haven't chosen a place
      yet,but do have 2 or 3 states in mind. waiting to hear back from each about
      zoning laws.

      --- On Tue, 7/1/08, wendy brown <_cas46per@yahoo. cas_

      From: wendy brown <_cas46per@yahoo. cas_ (mailto:cas46per@ yahoo. com) >
      To: _scanewcomers@ scanewcomerssca_ (mailto:scanewcomer s@ yahoogroups. com)
      Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 5:54 PM

      Hi Paula,
      Have you ever been to Helen, Georgia?
      It's a little Bavarian town that people have shops and putt putt golf and
      stuff. All they need is a castle.
      So you see the idea works very well. They have Octoberfest in the fall and
      have over 30,000 visitors there.
      There is a webcam on the main street and lots of pictures.
      Where were you planning on putting up the castle and village? We live in
      Cleveland, Ga and it's about 15 minutes for us to Helen.
      Cabbage Patch ( Babyland General )is building a new mansion next year for
      the babies to be purchased at. We live less than a mile from Babyland.
      Sounds like a great idea. I'd certainly work and live there. How cool. Will
      there be a lake with a pirate ship and people who dress like pirates too?
      The weather is fab and we only have cold weather right near Christmas and
      then it warms up again. It looks like Pennsylvania where we're from but the
      weather is sooooo much better.
      Hope you choose to build it here.
      Wendy

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        NO kids allowed at the castle?
        YIS,

        Giertrud Gyldenstiene
        RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

      • paula graham
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          i'm a mom and if i left my two little boys out of the castle they would never talk to me again! so yes kids. that's why there is school tours

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            Would you allow people who want to homeschool their children? (and thus make
            medieval studies a part of the program!)
            YIS,

            Giertrud Gyldenstiene
            RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

          • Eibhleann Kelley
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
              Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this, (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
              Erin

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                  i'm going to try and put up a website about the castle. yes there will be a school for kids. with an on site teacher(not puboic school).

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                    So what caused you to start this? How would you go about it? I can only imagine how hard it would be to incorporate current building laws and code into a stone castle. This is so very interesting to me, so sorry for all the questions. lol.
                    Erin

                  • eowynesque2b@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                      I'm a real estate appraiser.

                      You can start by looking at rural counties with little or no building codes
                      and grandfather-in just in case they add building codes later

                      Andrea in Calontir

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                        one of my ex boyfriends got me started with the renassance. around the tudor times and ever since then. it has been a dream of mine more so lately then anything. the current building laws i'm looking into and thats why i'm waiting to hear back from the states i said eairlier. that way i know what i can and can't do.here in iowa is still looking very promising.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                          thanks for the idea!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                            building codes vary by county...so after you pick a state, then you'll have
                            to go to the exact county and look into their individual county codes.

                            In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:54:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            pjfivekids@... writes:

                            i'm waiting to hear back from the states

                          • Heidi Martinez
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                              This is a world I have only dreamed of living in!

                              You should check out MI, they seem to allow you to build anything because
                              the state is always looking for anything that will draw people here.

                              Please keep us posted!

                              Thank you,
                              Heidi

                              On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, paula graham <pjfivekids@...> wrote:

                              > ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back
                              >
                              > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>
                              > >

                              > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
                              > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                              > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
                              >
                              > Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this,
                              > (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little
                              > bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                              > Erin

                            • Trina
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                Ok now for a lurkers opinion...
                                I have always wanted to do this also and so here is just a cool idea
                                I had make it with a mote around it that could double as a swimming
                                pool. Also just some info to look into... Plainville Ks is a small
                                north central town that is giving away land and has a 5 year tax plan
                                to incourage building and growth.

                                Fort Hays State University is just 30 miles south in Hays and the
                                area's Shire is Westumbria (Great Bend/ Hays KS) Just some info you
                                might want to seriously check into and if seriously interested my
                                brother owns and opperates an electrical company in the area and
                                could give you all kinds of info on building codes, general
                                contractors and area builders.
                                YIS Caitriona ingen Faelan (Shire of Westumbria Calontir)

                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, paula graham <pjfivekids@...>
                                wrote:

                                > thanks for the idea!

                              • Veronica
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                  Ok, now that everyone else has chimed in I might add my own opinion.
                                  Of all the random places you might find a castle, there are two states
                                  (ok 3 but the last is extremely cost prohibitive) that would be really
                                  neat to build a castle in, and I might add have few building
                                  regulation in the unincorporated areas PLUS cheap land. Those are
                                  Alaska, and Montana. Both have large tourism bases, and I know the
                                  two main SCA groups in AK might be interested, ok one because we've
                                  talked about hypotheticals... Any way I think its an awesome idea no
                                  matter where it's built and would get a lot of visitation, and likely
                                  employees.

                                  Lady Veronica of Winters Gate

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                                    I was thinking Calontir really needs a castle !!!

                                    In Webster County in Missouri they voted again last year to NOT adopt any building codes anywhere in the county....we're really still a bunch of hippies out here...LOL

                                    Andrea in Calontir, Shire of Oakheart