Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle

  • eowynesque2b@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      do you mean activities that the guests can participate in....like a medieval
      dude ranch+

      think about:

      a hand or stand rug loom
      candle making
      bread baking
      spinning yard
      embroidery
      horseback riding
      archery practice
      canoeing around the mote
      even blacksmithing
      chopping firewood

      There is a place in SW Missouri called Silver Dollar City that started out
      as a place that showcased Pioneer skills, it is more of an amusement park
      now....but I fondly remember watching them blow glass, shoe horses, make
      horseshoes, carve wooden items....etc....

      Andrea in Calontir

      In a message dated 7/1/2008 6:00:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      pjfivekids@... writes:

      sorry no i haven't been to Helen,Georgia. I actually haven't chosen a place
      yet,but do have 2 or 3 states in mind. waiting to hear back from each about
      zoning laws.

      --- On Tue, 7/1/08, wendy brown <_cas46per@..._

      From: wendy brown <_cas46per@..._ (mailto:cas46per@...) >
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
      To: _scanewcomers@scanewcomerssca_ (mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 5:54 PM

      Hi Paula,
      Have you ever been to Helen, Georgia?
      It's a little Bavarian town that people have shops and putt putt golf and
      stuff. All they need is a castle.
      So you see the idea works very well. They have Octoberfest in the fall and
      have over 30,000 visitors there.
      There is a webcam on the main street and lots of pictures.
      Where were you planning on putting up the castle and village? We live in
      Cleveland, Ga and it's about 15 minutes for us to Helen.
      Cabbage Patch ( Babyland General )is building a new mansion next year for
      the babies to be purchased at. We live less than a mile from Babyland.
      Sounds like a great idea. I'd certainly work and live there. How cool. Will
      there be a lake with a pirate ship and people who dress like pirates too?
      The weather is fab and we only have cold weather right near Christmas and
      then it warms up again. It looks like Pennsylvania where we're from but the
      weather is sooooo much better.
      Hope you choose to build it here.
      Wendy

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        yeap sure do mean activities that all the guests (including kids of all ages)!!

        --- On Tue, 7/1/08, wendy brown <_cas46per@yahoo. cas_

        sorry my intro got cut short. some how i hit the send button. sorry.
        anyway. my idea is that there would be people living and working at
        the castle (yes the castle would have hidden passages and a great
        hall) and the small village near the castle. with the people who work
        at the shops in the village living above the shops. is there anything
        that you think you all would love to see there? do there? i thank you
        all for your comments so far. signed paula

        ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
        fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

      • Patricia Mize
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          I would not be able to live there, but would certainly come for vacation with the kids :)

          yeap sure do mean activities that all the guests (including kids of all ages)!!

          sorry my intro got cut short. some how i hit the send button. sorry.
          anyway. my idea is that there would be people living and working at
          the castle (yes the castle would have hidden passages and a great
          hall) and the small village near the castle. with the people who work
          at the shops in the village living above the shops. is there anything
          that you think you all would love to see there? do there? i thank you
          all for your comments so far. signed paula

          ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
          fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

        • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            NO kids allowed at the castle?
            YIS,

            Giertrud Gyldenstiene
            RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

          • paula graham
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
              i'm a mom and if i left my two little boys out of the castle they would never talk to me again! so yes kids. that's why there is school tours

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                Would you allow people who want to homeschool their children? (and thus make
                medieval studies a part of the program!)
                YIS,

                Giertrud Gyldenstiene
                RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

              • Eibhleann Kelley
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this, (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                  Erin

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                    ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                      i'm going to try and put up a website about the castle. yes there will be a school for kids. with an on site teacher(not puboic school).

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                        So what caused you to start this? How would you go about it? I can only imagine how hard it would be to incorporate current building laws and code into a stone castle. This is so very interesting to me, so sorry for all the questions. lol.
                        Erin

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                          I'm a real estate appraiser.

                          You can start by looking at rural counties with little or no building codes
                          and grandfather-in just in case they add building codes later

                          Andrea in Calontir

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                            one of my ex boyfriends got me started with the renassance. around the tudor times and ever since then. it has been a dream of mine more so lately then anything. the current building laws i'm looking into and thats why i'm waiting to hear back from the states i said eairlier. that way i know what i can and can't do.here in iowa is still looking very promising.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                              thanks for the idea!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                building codes vary by county...so after you pick a state, then you'll have
                                to go to the exact county and look into their individual county codes.

                                In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:54:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                pjfivekids@... writes:

                                i'm waiting to hear back from the states

                              • Heidi Martinez
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                  This is a world I have only dreamed of living in!

                                  You should check out MI, they seem to allow you to build anything because
                                  the state is always looking for anything that will draw people here.

                                  Please keep us posted!

                                  Thank you,
                                  Heidi

                                  On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, paula graham <pjfivekids@...> wrote:

                                  > ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back
                                  >
                                  > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>
                                  > >

                                  > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
                                  > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
                                  >
                                  > Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this,
                                  > (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little
                                  > bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                                  > Erin

                                • Trina
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                    Ok now for a lurkers opinion...
                                    I have always wanted to do this also and so here is just a cool idea
                                    I had make it with a mote around it that could double as a swimming
                                    pool. Also just some info to look into... Plainville Ks is a small
                                    north central town that is giving away land and has a 5 year tax plan
                                    to incourage building and growth.

                                    Fort Hays State University is just 30 miles south in Hays and the
                                    area's Shire is Westumbria (Great Bend/ Hays KS) Just some info you
                                    might want to seriously check into and if seriously interested my
                                    brother owns and opperates an electrical company in the area and
                                    could give you all kinds of info on building codes, general
                                    contractors and area builders.
                                    YIS Caitriona ingen Faelan (Shire of Westumbria Calontir)

                                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, paula graham <pjfivekids@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > thanks for the idea!

                                  • Veronica
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                      Ok, now that everyone else has chimed in I might add my own opinion.
                                      Of all the random places you might find a castle, there are two states
                                      (ok 3 but the last is extremely cost prohibitive) that would be really
                                      neat to build a castle in, and I might add have few building
                                      regulation in the unincorporated areas PLUS cheap land. Those are
                                      Alaska, and Montana. Both have large tourism bases, and I know the
                                      two main SCA groups in AK might be interested, ok one because we've
                                      talked about hypotheticals... Any way I think its an awesome idea no
                                      matter where it's built and would get a lot of visitation, and likely
                                      employees.

                                      Lady Veronica of Winters Gate

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                                        I was thinking Calontir really needs a castle !!!

                                        In Webster County in Missouri they voted again last year to NOT adopt any building codes anywhere in the county....we're really still a bunch of hippies out here...LOL

                                        Andrea in Calontir, Shire of Oakheart