castle

  • paula
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      sorry my intro got cut short. some how i hit the send button. sorry.
      anyway. my idea is that there would be people living and working at
      the castle (yes the castle would have hidden passages and a great
      hall) and the small village near the castle. with the people who work
      at the shops in the village living above the shops. is there anything
      that you think you all would love to see there? do there? i thank you
      all for your comments so far. signed paula
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi Paula,
        Have you ever been to Helen, Georgia?
        It's a little Bavarian town that people have shops and putt putt golf and stuff. All they need is a castle.
        So you see the idea works very well. They have Octoberfest in the fall and have over 30,000 visitors there.
        There is a webcam on the main street and lots of pictures.
        Where were you planning on putting up the castle and village? We live in Cleveland, Ga and it's about 15 minutes for us to Helen.
        Cabbage Patch ( Babyland General )is building a new mansion next year for the babies to be purchased at. We live less than a mile from Babyland.
        Sounds like a great idea. I'd certainly work and live there. How cool. Will there be a lake with a pirate ship and people who dress like pirates too?
        The weather is fab and we only have cold weather right near Christmas and then it warms up again. It looks like Pennsylvania where we're from but the weather is sooooo much better.
        Hope you choose to build it here.
        Wendy

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          sorry no i haven't been to Helen,Georgia. I actually haven't chosen a place yet,but do have 2 or 3 states in mind. waiting to hear back from each about zoning laws.

        • eowynesque2b@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            do you mean activities that the guests can participate in....like a medieval
            dude ranch+

            think about:

            a hand or stand rug loom
            candle making
            bread baking
            spinning yard
            embroidery
            horseback riding
            archery practice
            canoeing around the mote
            even blacksmithing
            chopping firewood

            There is a place in SW Missouri called Silver Dollar City that started out
            as a place that showcased Pioneer skills, it is more of an amusement park
            now....but I fondly remember watching them blow glass, shoe horses, make
            horseshoes, carve wooden items....etc....

            Andrea in Calontir

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
              yeap sure do mean activities that all the guests (including kids of all ages)!!

              --- On Tue, 7/1/08, wendy brown <_cas46per@yahoo. cas_

              sorry my intro got cut short. some how i hit the send button. sorry.
              anyway. my idea is that there would be people living and working at
              the castle (yes the castle would have hidden passages and a great
              hall) and the small village near the castle. with the people who work
              at the shops in the village living above the shops. is there anything
              that you think you all would love to see there? do there? i thank you
              all for your comments so far. signed paula

              ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
              fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

            • Patricia Mize
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                I would not be able to live there, but would certainly come for vacation with the kids :)

                yeap sure do mean activities that all the guests (including kids of all ages)!!

                sorry my intro got cut short. some how i hit the send button. sorry.
                anyway. my idea is that there would be people living and working at
                the castle (yes the castle would have hidden passages and a great
                hall) and the small village near the castle. with the people who work
                at the shops in the village living above the shops. is there anything
                that you think you all would love to see there? do there? i thank you
                all for your comments so far. signed paula

                ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
                fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

              • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                  NO kids allowed at the castle?
                  YIS,

                  Giertrud Gyldenstiene
                  RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

                • paula graham
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                    i'm a mom and if i left my two little boys out of the castle they would never talk to me again! so yes kids. that's why there is school tours

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                      Would you allow people who want to homeschool their children? (and thus make
                      medieval studies a part of the program!)
                      YIS,

                      Giertrud Gyldenstiene
                      RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

                    • Eibhleann Kelley
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                        Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this, (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                        Erin

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                          ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                            i'm going to try and put up a website about the castle. yes there will be a school for kids. with an on site teacher(not puboic school).

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                              So what caused you to start this? How would you go about it? I can only imagine how hard it would be to incorporate current building laws and code into a stone castle. This is so very interesting to me, so sorry for all the questions. lol.
                              Erin

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                I'm a real estate appraiser.

                                You can start by looking at rural counties with little or no building codes
                                and grandfather-in just in case they add building codes later

                                Andrea in Calontir

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                  one of my ex boyfriends got me started with the renassance. around the tudor times and ever since then. it has been a dream of mine more so lately then anything. the current building laws i'm looking into and thats why i'm waiting to hear back from the states i said eairlier. that way i know what i can and can't do.here in iowa is still looking very promising.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                    thanks for the idea!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                      building codes vary by county...so after you pick a state, then you'll have
                                      to go to the exact county and look into their individual county codes.

                                      In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:54:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                      pjfivekids@... writes:

                                      i'm waiting to hear back from the states

                                    • Heidi Martinez
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                                        This is a world I have only dreamed of living in!

                                        You should check out MI, they seem to allow you to build anything because
                                        the state is always looking for anything that will draw people here.

                                        Please keep us posted!

                                        Thank you,
                                        Heidi

                                        On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, paula graham <pjfivekids@...> wrote:

                                        > ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back
                                        >
                                        > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>
                                        > >

                                        > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
                                        > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
                                        >
                                        > Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this,
                                        > (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little
                                        > bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                                        > Erin

                                      • Trina
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                          Ok now for a lurkers opinion...
                                          I have always wanted to do this also and so here is just a cool idea
                                          I had make it with a mote around it that could double as a swimming
                                          pool. Also just some info to look into... Plainville Ks is a small
                                          north central town that is giving away land and has a 5 year tax plan
                                          to incourage building and growth.

                                          Fort Hays State University is just 30 miles south in Hays and the
                                          area's Shire is Westumbria (Great Bend/ Hays KS) Just some info you
                                          might want to seriously check into and if seriously interested my
                                          brother owns and opperates an electrical company in the area and
                                          could give you all kinds of info on building codes, general
                                          contractors and area builders.
                                          YIS Caitriona ingen Faelan (Shire of Westumbria Calontir)

                                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, paula graham <pjfivekids@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > thanks for the idea!

                                        • Veronica
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                                            Ok, now that everyone else has chimed in I might add my own opinion.
                                            Of all the random places you might find a castle, there are two states
                                            (ok 3 but the last is extremely cost prohibitive) that would be really
                                            neat to build a castle in, and I might add have few building
                                            regulation in the unincorporated areas PLUS cheap land. Those are
                                            Alaska, and Montana. Both have large tourism bases, and I know the
                                            two main SCA groups in AK might be interested, ok one because we've
                                            talked about hypotheticals... Any way I think its an awesome idea no
                                            matter where it's built and would get a lot of visitation, and likely
                                            employees.

                                            Lady Veronica of Winters Gate

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                                              I was thinking Calontir really needs a castle !!!

                                              In Webster County in Missouri they voted again last year to NOT adopt any building codes anywhere in the county....we're really still a bunch of hippies out here...LOL

                                              Andrea in Calontir, Shire of Oakheart