RE: [SCA Newcomers] Hello - Newbie here

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2008
      Hello Dashleea,

      And welcome to the SCA!

      There are some terrific resources available on the Society website, Have you
      looked at that, yet?

      http://www.sca.org/

      If you look in the "New To The SCA' link, there is information on how to
      find your local group by zip code, or interactive map, there is info about
      how to create a persona, and what the Society for Creative Anachronism is
      really all about.

      There's stuff on how to choose a name, and some databases to search for
      ideas.

      From what you have written here, you seem to be an excellent web-researcher.
      That's mostly what people in the SCA do - research, not only on line, but in
      books, museums and historical sites.
      We have governing documents which cover how the paperwork in the SCA is
      filled out, but we all do our own research.
      There is no one single body of research that we go by, and yes, some of the
      information is confusing and some of it is contradictory.
      There are also such variables as which time period, and which country or
      region you are interested in studying.
      While the core time periods and locations for re-enactment in the SCA are
      medieval and renaissance Europe and England, no one is restricted to that.
      The only real restriction I have found so far, other than human nature, is
      the cut off date of 1600.

      Good luck with your researches, investigate the SCA website - it has a lot
      to offer in terms of basic research already done - and let us know how
      things are going for you!

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom