Re: tokens

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
      Tokens are a physical representation of the esteem you have for
      someone for something they have done or that they do. It can be
      literally anythings. They can be given for _any_ reason you choose to
      give the token for. Sometimes they are a part of an event, other
      times they are given person to person for personal reasons.

      Tokens I have seen given out include, beaded string, period safety
      pins, period game piece, embroidery floss, period struck coins,
      ribbon, braided rope, a piece of fabric or ribbon, chocolate coins and
      period bookmarks.

      Reasons I have seen tokens given out include, making an event fun for
      someone, marking best piece at an A&S competition, excellence on the
      battle field, honor on the battlefield, service, helping set up tents,
      kindness, comportment, trying hard and Majesty's whim.

      I myself carry flat round glass tokens that I bought at the dollar
      store, the kind you put in a fish tank or decorative display. I give
      these out to anyone who makes an event fun for someone else. After all
      we do this for the fun it brings us.

      Tokens are one of the reasons the SCA is such a great society. People
      who not only go out of their way to let you know they think you did
      something good but will buy or make something for you to encapsulate
      that memory into a physical object that will draw the questions,
      "What's that?" and "What was that for?"

      One of the coolest tokens I have seen was simply a pin with a clear
      red bead on the top of it. It was given to a friend of mine by a
      Master of the Pelican. (A Master of the Pelican is a Peer for service
      much as a Knight is a Peer for heavy fighting.) When it was given to
      her she was told this story.

      The Pelican in period was thought to feed its children by pulling the
      feathers from its breast until the breast bled and thusly the Pelican
      would feed its children. The Pelican was thus chosen as a symbol of
      service as a way to serve the Kingdom by giving its life blood so that
      the Kingdom may thrive. This pin represents one of those drops. I
      give this to you in the esteem I have for the work and service I see
      you do not merely that I saw this day but that I have seen you render
      regularly and without thought of reward.

      We are a positivist society. We see good things and we reward them
      individually as well as with awards from the crown. Tokens are one
      way of doing that.

      Ian the Green

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tudorpot@..." <tudorpot@...> wrote:

      > I am attending an sca event next week and there is a request that we
      > prepare ' small tokens' from the posting- "Spectators are
      > encouraged to bring small tokens to bestow on their favorites."
      > Can someone share more about this with me. I'd like to get into the
      > spirit, but am not sure of the etiquette.
      >
      > Freda

    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
        On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 20:30 -0700, Angel wrote:
        > Thank you Justin.
        > I had the same question and it is wonderful to get a Carolingian
        > answer :)
        > Missing dance practice terribly,
        > Heather #3

        Thanks for the kind words, but I think you have me confused with another
        Justin. I live in the Middle Kingdom, in the modern-world state of
        Ohio. :-)

        Justinos Tekton <justin@...>