Re: [SCA Newcomers] tokens

  • Angel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
      Thank you Justin.
      I had the same question and it is wonderful to get a Carolingian answer :)
      Missing dance practice terribly,
      Heather #3

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
        Tokens are a physical representation of the esteem you have for
        someone for something they have done or that they do. It can be
        literally anythings. They can be given for _any_ reason you choose to
        give the token for. Sometimes they are a part of an event, other
        times they are given person to person for personal reasons.

        Tokens I have seen given out include, beaded string, period safety
        pins, period game piece, embroidery floss, period struck coins,
        ribbon, braided rope, a piece of fabric or ribbon, chocolate coins and
        period bookmarks.

        Reasons I have seen tokens given out include, making an event fun for
        someone, marking best piece at an A&S competition, excellence on the
        battle field, honor on the battlefield, service, helping set up tents,
        kindness, comportment, trying hard and Majesty's whim.

        I myself carry flat round glass tokens that I bought at the dollar
        store, the kind you put in a fish tank or decorative display. I give
        these out to anyone who makes an event fun for someone else. After all
        we do this for the fun it brings us.

        Tokens are one of the reasons the SCA is such a great society. People
        who not only go out of their way to let you know they think you did
        something good but will buy or make something for you to encapsulate
        that memory into a physical object that will draw the questions,
        "What's that?" and "What was that for?"

        One of the coolest tokens I have seen was simply a pin with a clear
        red bead on the top of it. It was given to a friend of mine by a
        Master of the Pelican. (A Master of the Pelican is a Peer for service
        much as a Knight is a Peer for heavy fighting.) When it was given to
        her she was told this story.

        The Pelican in period was thought to feed its children by pulling the
        feathers from its breast until the breast bled and thusly the Pelican
        would feed its children. The Pelican was thus chosen as a symbol of
        service as a way to serve the Kingdom by giving its life blood so that
        the Kingdom may thrive. This pin represents one of those drops. I
        give this to you in the esteem I have for the work and service I see
        you do not merely that I saw this day but that I have seen you render
        regularly and without thought of reward.

        We are a positivist society. We see good things and we reward them
        individually as well as with awards from the crown. Tokens are one
        way of doing that.

        Ian the Green

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tudorpot@..." <tudorpot@...> wrote:

        > I am attending an sca event next week and there is a request that we
        > prepare ' small tokens' from the posting- "Spectators are
        > encouraged to bring small tokens to bestow on their favorites."
        > Can someone share more about this with me. I'd like to get into the
        > spirit, but am not sure of the etiquette.
        >
        > Freda

      • Justinos Tekton
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 22, 2008
          On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 20:30 -0700, Angel wrote:
          > Thank you Justin.
          > I had the same question and it is wonderful to get a Carolingian
          > answer :)
          > Missing dance practice terribly,
          > Heather #3

          Thanks for the kind words, but I think you have me confused with another
          Justin. I live in the Middle Kingdom, in the modern-world state of
          Ohio. :-)

          Justinos Tekton <justin@...>