Re: [SCA Newcomers] camping event

  • kathyg@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
      Freda,

      Glad you enjoyed your first SCA event.

      Yes, camping with the SCA is a lot of fun. In the evening, you can just relax,
      enjoy feast, dance, bartic, ect. and then just drop into your bed and go to
      sleep.

      The two main general rules in hiking & camping is 1.) take care of your feet,
      and 2.) get a good night's sleep.

      To get a good night's sleep, you need to be warm, dry and comforable.

      To be comforable, you may want to use an air mattress or foam pads under your
      bedding. Use a cot or louge chair ( open fairly flat ) if it will fit in your
      tent.

      To be warm, you will need plenty of bed covers. You will need a LOT more
      blankets / comforts than you use at home. Layers are good so that you can
      adjust the cover layer according to your need during the night. As for
      clothing, it can run from tee shirt & gym shorts to sweat shrit & sweat pants.
      Also, put on a fresh dry pair of socks before going to bed. Here, SCA rule # 2
      applies, it is better to take it and not use it, than to need it and not have
      it, which means, it is better to take plenty of extra blankets and then not use
      then, than to wake up cold at 3 am and not have anything to put on the bed.

      To be dry, it is better to just plan on it raining some time during a multi-day
      event. Put an extra trap over your tent. More layers of "water shedding"
      material, the better. If one leaks, then there is another layer under it. Put
      your clothing and stuff in large plastic bags or tubs. Tents can leak! Water
      will either drip in from the top or run in across the ground and get things wet
      from the bottom. I have seen a small dome tent with a VERY large tarp put over
      it. The tarp was then staked down directly to the ground all round ( except of
      an enterance way! ). The stakes were not right at the bottom of the tent, but
      out, away from the tent so that the tarp is pulled out stright & flat. This
      helps not just with rain and shedding it, but wind also. The "smoother" and
      lower the tent is to the ground, the less there is for the wind to catch and
      blow againist.

      Do tent decor last, be sure all the above items are taken care of before
      worrying about how the tent looks. I not not know of any one trying to do any
      decor on a dome tent, but it is always possible to try something. You may try
      getting some muslin fabric material, or other lightweight, cheap fabric and
      make a decor cover to go over the tent. It may only cover the top and then
      hang off the top with some kind of fancy edging ( dagging ).

      As for gas stoves, that is a flamable item. Check with the park where the
      event is to be held, and see if flamable items are permittered. Also, check
      with the autocrat. It is more a matter of the landlord's regulations & weather
      conditions. I assume that you know **NOT** to use it IN side the tent. Take a
      fire exht. too. As for the SCA, yes, they are permitted in your camp to use as
      needed.

      Don't forget to take a chair and if possible, a table, at lest a TV tray size
      table. Also, a flashlight.

      Additional note, SCA rule # 1., if you want / need it, then you bring it.
      Which is, you are responcible for bring your own food, medicine, bedcover &
      other personal stuff. Don't worry, food & bedcovers can be shared / loaned as
      needed. Just be sure to take your share.

      Well, hope that answers your question. I could go on and write a book about
      camping with the SCA, but I will stop for now.

      So, now go and expect a GREAT time!

      From an old timer who has been cold, wet, and sleepless..........

      Alara

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
        In a message dated 6/11/2008 2:06:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        tudorpot@... writes:

        <<I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively planning
        ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
        attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
        From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
        quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
        prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
        decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
        use propane stoves or are they outlawed?>>

        While many people (ourselves included), do make something of a spectacle out
        of SCA camping, it's certainly not required, and usually happens after you
        have been active for some years. I started out in the SCA using a 4-foot
        high, 7-foot diameter dome tent with a tarp rigged over it for some shade, a
        Thermarest mattress, some sheepskins, a sleeping bag and pillow, and an open
        basket for my garb and a covered one for my feast gear. For long events like
        Pennsic I took a pup tent to use for storage. When I started going to events
        with my husband, we used a 10'x10' Army surplus tent, then moved on to modern
        cabin tents with the largest being 12' x 15' if I remember correctly, with the
        bed being a slat bed based on an old trundle bed frame. We didn't finally
        get a pavilion and start tricking it out until after I'd been in the SCA for
        over 10 years.
        Here in the East and at Pennsic, I've rarely seen a modern tent decorated to
        look more medieval; most people just seem to use them as is. I know in some
        kingdoms they only allow period tents in certain areas, such as along the
        edge of the list field, and mundane tents are placed more out of sight, but I
        don't know if that applies to Ealdormere. I don't know that it's possible to
        make a small dome look medieval anyway; it's not really a shape used for
        medieval constructions, you know? You could probably make it look like a
        haystack, but while people might have slept in haystacks, they didn't sleep inside
        them if you understand what I mean. I think modern tents, like eyeglasses
        and wheelchairs, are something we choose not to see.
        As far as propane stoves, they are certainly allowed here in the East, but
        rarely needed as most weekend events give you lunch on Saturday, a feast
        Saturday night, and often a hot breakfast on Sunday. I think the use of stoves
        and such may be more regulated by mundane fire restrictions/site rules than
        anything, so that would be something to speak to the local folks about.

        Lancaster, PA

        2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

      • Maria Buchanan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
          It would probably not be a good idea to try to make a
          fitted cover for a modern tent. It could interfere
          with the ventilation of the tent and it could become
          very hot and stuffy inside it.

          That said, you could place a modern tent inside a
          basic pavilion. Pavilions are actually easy to make
          if you know where to start out. I have an 8X8 EZUp
          sunshade. I made a cover for it by taking the top off
          it, making a pattern from the cover, and sewing the
          cover together. Then you take some ready made tab top
          curtains, or make some tab top curtains and you have
          walls. If you make the curtains out of a relatively
          light material, you can make walls that would breathe.

          As far as the camp stoves, I use propane all the time
          in camp and in the kitchen when I prepare feast at a
          camping event. I also belong to a group here in
          Ansteorra called the Ansteorran Longship Company. We
          make omelets on Sunday morning at certain events. We
          use propane camp stoves all the time. You don't want
          to use it inside the tent but in a well ventilated
          area you're fine. (If you like coffee, buy the
          Coleman drip coffeemaker also. It makes a really good
          pot of coffee. You just light the stove and put the
          coffeemaker on top of the burner. I love mine and
          everyone comes over to my camp for coffee in the
          morning.) Coleman also has several other cool things
          like a propane powered skillet, a propane powered
          crock pot, a battery powered blender, and a wonderful
          little oven that you put on top of the Coleman stove
          and monitor temp by the gauge on front of the oven.
          Next event I'm getting that and we can have fresh HOT
          muffins in the morning. You can actually bake in the
          thing.

          Have fun as your next event. Glad you enjoyed the
          first one.

          Maria

        • tudorpot@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
            Thanks for that, I'm not a camping newbie, been camping since before
            I could walk. good advice though.

            Freda

            On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:09 AM, kathyg@... wrote:

            > The two main general rules in hiking & camping is 1.) take care of
            > your feet,
            > and 2.) get a good night's sleep.
            >
            > To get a good night's sleep, you need to be warm, dry and comforable.
            >
            > To be comforable, you may want to use an air mattress or foam pads
            > under your
            > bedding. Use a cot or louge chair ( open fairly flat ) if it will
            > fit in your
            > tent.

          • Michael Peterson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
              Also, camp as faaaarrrrr away from the drumming as possible.

[...]

              From an old timer who has been cold, wet, and sleepless... .......

              Alara

              Quoting "tudorpot@gmail. com" <tudorpot@gmail. com>:

              > I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively planning
              > ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
              > attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
              > From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
              > quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
              > prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
              > decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
              > use propane stoves or are they outlawed?
              >
              > Freda

            • Justinos Tekton
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 06:12 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
                > It would probably not be a good idea to try to make a
                > fitted cover for a modern tent. It could interfere
                > with the ventilation of the tent and it could become
                > very hot and stuffy inside it.

                And if rainwater got between the layers, mildew problems could occur.

                There's a lot you can do to dress up the camp *around* the tent without
                changing the tent itself. A small trellis with good-quality artificial
                ivy on it is something that's been done in our household. Colorful
                streamers or flags add to the atmosphere, as do lanterns suspended on
                hooks (safe distance from the tent, of course -- you do NOT want to be
                in a tent fire).

                Justin
              • gavin.kinkade
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                  Freda,

                  SCA Camping is not unlike normal camping. Mundane camping items are
                  very common. Having said that, some people don't regard their campsites
                  as part of the Event, and use it just to sleep and store items. Others
                  try to portray a Period site, and some still have a combination of both.

                  I am of the latter group. I started in the SCA a year ago, all we had
                  was mundane camping equipment. As I traveled to events I would try to
                  replace a mundane item with a more period or "Period Looking"
                  equivalent item.

                  Our biggest most recent purchase is a Canvas 10x12 wall tent. That set
                  us back about 500 bucks and will be the priciest expense this year. I
                  still use my propane lamp, and stove, and occasionally drag out the
                  Kingsford charcoal grill for steaks :),

                  My screen enclosure (eating spot) is very mundane and I won't camp
                  without it! I hate bugs!!!! I doubt there is a period equivalent but
                  who knowsÂ…

                  I also sleep on a queen sized inflatable mattress and use sleeping bags
                  as blankets.

                  Our next replacement is either going to be the bed, or the chairs. I
                  plan on replacing items as I can, but I'm not too worried about it that
                  much to go crazy replacing everything I have that I camp with!!!

                  Having switched over to a new tent has caused me to rethink my packing
                  arrangements too. Period equipment is heavy, and takes up space. My
                  truck bed is filled already with all my camping gear. The new tent will
                  exceed my trucks capacity, so I have added a trailer to the mix. Now I
                  have to spend more on gas to pull the trailer, but I can fit more stuff
                  in the trailer. Which is needed because now I am getting into heavy
                  fighting, so add armor, and weapons to the already loaded down trailer!

                  There is a very good reason mundane equipment is light, and saves space!
                  So whether you only have mundane equipment, and don't plan on switching
                  out to period equipment, or you are so into the Dream that all your
                  gear, down to the straw bed you sleep on, is as period as can be, or
                  you somewhere in between. Do not fear, we are all here to have a good
                  time, enjoy friendships, learn new things, and try new things.
                  And "Live the Dream" as best we can or as much as we care to.

                  Peace
                  Gavin

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tudorpot@..." <tudorpot@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively
                  planning
                  > ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
                  > attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
                  > From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
                  > quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
                  > prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
                  > decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
                  > use propane stoves or are they outlawed?
                  >
                  > Freda

                • Justinos Tekton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                    On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 07:21 -0700, Michael Peterson wrote:
                    > Also, camp as faaaarrrrr away from the drumming as possible.

                    Well, that depends on whether or not you like drumming. A number of
                    people in my household enjoy camping near the drummers, and find it
                    relaxing to go to sleep to the sound. :-)

                    To each his or her own. :-)

                    Justinos Tekton <justin@...>
                  • Alex Flinsch
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                      On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Justinos Tekton wrote:

                      > streamers or flags add to the atmosphere, as do lanterns suspended on
                      > hooks (safe distance from the tent, of course -- you do NOT want to be
                      > in a tent fire).

                      What I like to hang on the hook outside the tent are a set of solar
                      powered lanterns that have little fake candles in them. From about a
                      foot away they look like real candles -- they flicker and everything,
                      and there is no danger of fire.

                      --
                      Alex / AB2RC
                      My rechargeable batteries are revolting.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                        On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 18:05 -0400, Alex Flinsch wrote:
                        > What I like to hang on the hook outside the tent are a set of solar
                        > powered lanterns that have little fake candles in them. From about a
                        > foot away they look like real candles -- they flicker and
                        > everything,
                        > and there is no danger of fire.

                        Yes, an excellent idea!