camping event

  • tudorpot@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2008
      I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively planning
      ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
      attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
      From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
      quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
      prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
      decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
      use propane stoves or are they outlawed?

      Freda
    • kathyg@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
        Freda,

        Glad you enjoyed your first SCA event.

        Yes, camping with the SCA is a lot of fun. In the evening, you can just relax,
        enjoy feast, dance, bartic, ect. and then just drop into your bed and go to
        sleep.

        The two main general rules in hiking & camping is 1.) take care of your feet,
        and 2.) get a good night's sleep.

        To get a good night's sleep, you need to be warm, dry and comforable.

        To be comforable, you may want to use an air mattress or foam pads under your
        bedding. Use a cot or louge chair ( open fairly flat ) if it will fit in your
        tent.

        To be warm, you will need plenty of bed covers. You will need a LOT more
        blankets / comforts than you use at home. Layers are good so that you can
        adjust the cover layer according to your need during the night. As for
        clothing, it can run from tee shirt & gym shorts to sweat shrit & sweat pants.
        Also, put on a fresh dry pair of socks before going to bed. Here, SCA rule # 2
        applies, it is better to take it and not use it, than to need it and not have
        it, which means, it is better to take plenty of extra blankets and then not use
        then, than to wake up cold at 3 am and not have anything to put on the bed.

        To be dry, it is better to just plan on it raining some time during a multi-day
        event. Put an extra trap over your tent. More layers of "water shedding"
        material, the better. If one leaks, then there is another layer under it. Put
        your clothing and stuff in large plastic bags or tubs. Tents can leak! Water
        will either drip in from the top or run in across the ground and get things wet
        from the bottom. I have seen a small dome tent with a VERY large tarp put over
        it. The tarp was then staked down directly to the ground all round ( except of
        an enterance way! ). The stakes were not right at the bottom of the tent, but
        out, away from the tent so that the tarp is pulled out stright & flat. This
        helps not just with rain and shedding it, but wind also. The "smoother" and
        lower the tent is to the ground, the less there is for the wind to catch and
        blow againist.

        Do tent decor last, be sure all the above items are taken care of before
        worrying about how the tent looks. I not not know of any one trying to do any
        decor on a dome tent, but it is always possible to try something. You may try
        getting some muslin fabric material, or other lightweight, cheap fabric and
        make a decor cover to go over the tent. It may only cover the top and then
        hang off the top with some kind of fancy edging ( dagging ).

        As for gas stoves, that is a flamable item. Check with the park where the
        event is to be held, and see if flamable items are permittered. Also, check
        with the autocrat. It is more a matter of the landlord's regulations & weather
        conditions. I assume that you know **NOT** to use it IN side the tent. Take a
        fire exht. too. As for the SCA, yes, they are permitted in your camp to use as
        needed.

        Don't forget to take a chair and if possible, a table, at lest a TV tray size
        table. Also, a flashlight.

        Additional note, SCA rule # 1., if you want / need it, then you bring it.
        Which is, you are responcible for bring your own food, medicine, bedcover &
        other personal stuff. Don't worry, food & bedcovers can be shared / loaned as
        needed. Just be sure to take your share.

        Well, hope that answers your question. I could go on and write a book about
        camping with the SCA, but I will stop for now.

        So, now go and expect a GREAT time!

        From an old timer who has been cold, wet, and sleepless..........

        Alara

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
          In a message dated 6/11/2008 2:06:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          tudorpot@... writes:

          <<I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively planning
          ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
          attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
          From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
          quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
          prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
          decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
          use propane stoves or are they outlawed?>>

          While many people (ourselves included), do make something of a spectacle out
          of SCA camping, it's certainly not required, and usually happens after you
          have been active for some years. I started out in the SCA using a 4-foot
          high, 7-foot diameter dome tent with a tarp rigged over it for some shade, a
          Thermarest mattress, some sheepskins, a sleeping bag and pillow, and an open
          basket for my garb and a covered one for my feast gear. For long events like
          Pennsic I took a pup tent to use for storage. When I started going to events
          with my husband, we used a 10'x10' Army surplus tent, then moved on to modern
          cabin tents with the largest being 12' x 15' if I remember correctly, with the
          bed being a slat bed based on an old trundle bed frame. We didn't finally
          get a pavilion and start tricking it out until after I'd been in the SCA for
          over 10 years.
          Here in the East and at Pennsic, I've rarely seen a modern tent decorated to
          look more medieval; most people just seem to use them as is. I know in some
          kingdoms they only allow period tents in certain areas, such as along the
          edge of the list field, and mundane tents are placed more out of sight, but I
          don't know if that applies to Ealdormere. I don't know that it's possible to
          make a small dome look medieval anyway; it's not really a shape used for
          medieval constructions, you know? You could probably make it look like a
          haystack, but while people might have slept in haystacks, they didn't sleep inside
          them if you understand what I mean. I think modern tents, like eyeglasses
          and wheelchairs, are something we choose not to see.
          As far as propane stoves, they are certainly allowed here in the East, but
          rarely needed as most weekend events give you lunch on Saturday, a feast
          Saturday night, and often a hot breakfast on Sunday. I think the use of stoves
          and such may be more regulated by mundane fire restrictions/site rules than
          anything, so that would be something to speak to the local folks about.

          Lancaster, PA

          2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

        • Maria Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
            It would probably not be a good idea to try to make a
            fitted cover for a modern tent. It could interfere
            with the ventilation of the tent and it could become
            very hot and stuffy inside it.

            That said, you could place a modern tent inside a
            basic pavilion. Pavilions are actually easy to make
            if you know where to start out. I have an 8X8 EZUp
            sunshade. I made a cover for it by taking the top off
            it, making a pattern from the cover, and sewing the
            cover together. Then you take some ready made tab top
            curtains, or make some tab top curtains and you have
            walls. If you make the curtains out of a relatively
            light material, you can make walls that would breathe.

            As far as the camp stoves, I use propane all the time
            in camp and in the kitchen when I prepare feast at a
            camping event. I also belong to a group here in
            Ansteorra called the Ansteorran Longship Company. We
            make omelets on Sunday morning at certain events. We
            use propane camp stoves all the time. You don't want
            to use it inside the tent but in a well ventilated
            area you're fine. (If you like coffee, buy the
            Coleman drip coffeemaker also. It makes a really good
            pot of coffee. You just light the stove and put the
            coffeemaker on top of the burner. I love mine and
            everyone comes over to my camp for coffee in the
            morning.) Coleman also has several other cool things
            like a propane powered skillet, a propane powered
            crock pot, a battery powered blender, and a wonderful
            little oven that you put on top of the Coleman stove
            and monitor temp by the gauge on front of the oven.
            Next event I'm getting that and we can have fresh HOT
            muffins in the morning. You can actually bake in the
            thing.

            Have fun as your next event. Glad you enjoyed the
            first one.

            Maria

          • tudorpot@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
              Thanks for that, I'm not a camping newbie, been camping since before
              I could walk. good advice though.

              Freda

              On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:09 AM, kathyg@... wrote:

              > The two main general rules in hiking & camping is 1.) take care of
              > your feet,
              > and 2.) get a good night's sleep.
              >
              > To get a good night's sleep, you need to be warm, dry and comforable.
              >
              > To be comforable, you may want to use an air mattress or foam pads
              > under your
              > bedding. Use a cot or louge chair ( open fairly flat ) if it will
              > fit in your
              > tent.

            • Michael Peterson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                Also, camp as faaaarrrrr away from the drumming as possible.

[...]

                From an old timer who has been cold, wet, and sleepless... .......

                Alara

                Quoting "tudorpot@gmail. com" <tudorpot@gmail. com>:

                > I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively planning
                > ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
                > attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
                > From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
                > quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
                > prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
                > decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
                > use propane stoves or are they outlawed?
                >
                > Freda

              • Justinos Tekton
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                  On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 06:12 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
                  > It would probably not be a good idea to try to make a
                  > fitted cover for a modern tent. It could interfere
                  > with the ventilation of the tent and it could become
                  > very hot and stuffy inside it.

                  And if rainwater got between the layers, mildew problems could occur.

                  There's a lot you can do to dress up the camp *around* the tent without
                  changing the tent itself. A small trellis with good-quality artificial
                  ivy on it is something that's been done in our household. Colorful
                  streamers or flags add to the atmosphere, as do lanterns suspended on
                  hooks (safe distance from the tent, of course -- you do NOT want to be
                  in a tent fire).

                  Justin
                • gavin.kinkade
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Freda,

                    SCA Camping is not unlike normal camping. Mundane camping items are
                    very common. Having said that, some people don't regard their campsites
                    as part of the Event, and use it just to sleep and store items. Others
                    try to portray a Period site, and some still have a combination of both.

                    I am of the latter group. I started in the SCA a year ago, all we had
                    was mundane camping equipment. As I traveled to events I would try to
                    replace a mundane item with a more period or "Period Looking"
                    equivalent item.

                    Our biggest most recent purchase is a Canvas 10x12 wall tent. That set
                    us back about 500 bucks and will be the priciest expense this year. I
                    still use my propane lamp, and stove, and occasionally drag out the
                    Kingsford charcoal grill for steaks :),

                    My screen enclosure (eating spot) is very mundane and I won't camp
                    without it! I hate bugs!!!! I doubt there is a period equivalent but
                    who knowsÂ…

                    I also sleep on a queen sized inflatable mattress and use sleeping bags
                    as blankets.

                    Our next replacement is either going to be the bed, or the chairs. I
                    plan on replacing items as I can, but I'm not too worried about it that
                    much to go crazy replacing everything I have that I camp with!!!

                    Having switched over to a new tent has caused me to rethink my packing
                    arrangements too. Period equipment is heavy, and takes up space. My
                    truck bed is filled already with all my camping gear. The new tent will
                    exceed my trucks capacity, so I have added a trailer to the mix. Now I
                    have to spend more on gas to pull the trailer, but I can fit more stuff
                    in the trailer. Which is needed because now I am getting into heavy
                    fighting, so add armor, and weapons to the already loaded down trailer!

                    There is a very good reason mundane equipment is light, and saves space!
                    So whether you only have mundane equipment, and don't plan on switching
                    out to period equipment, or you are so into the Dream that all your
                    gear, down to the straw bed you sleep on, is as period as can be, or
                    you somewhere in between. Do not fear, we are all here to have a good
                    time, enjoy friendships, learn new things, and try new things.
                    And "Live the Dream" as best we can or as much as we care to.

                    Peace
                    Gavin

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tudorpot@..." <tudorpot@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I had a great time at my first SCA event and am now actively
                    planning
                    > ( read scouring thrift shops for feast gear and fabric for garb) to
                    > attend a camping event- Trillium Wars here in Ealdormere.
                    > From what I gather reading some web pages- camping with the SCA is
                    > quite an event. I'm looking for guidance on what to expect, how to
                    > prepare. My tent is a modern one, but I'd like to put some sort of
                    > decor on it to make it less mundane. It's a small dome tent. Do you
                    > use propane stoves or are they outlawed?
                    >
                    > Freda

                  • Justinos Tekton
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008
                      On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 07:21 -0700, Michael Peterson wrote:
                      > Also, camp as faaaarrrrr away from the drumming as possible.

                      Well, that depends on whether or not you like drumming. A number of
                      people in my household enjoy camping near the drummers, and find it
                      relaxing to go to sleep to the sound. :-)

                      To each his or her own. :-)

                      Justinos Tekton <justin@...>
                    • Alex Flinsch
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                        On Jun 11, 2008, at 1:46 PM, Justinos Tekton wrote:

                        > streamers or flags add to the atmosphere, as do lanterns suspended on
                        > hooks (safe distance from the tent, of course -- you do NOT want to be
                        > in a tent fire).

                        What I like to hang on the hook outside the tent are a set of solar
                        powered lanterns that have little fake candles in them. From about a
                        foot away they look like real candles -- they flicker and everything,
                        and there is no danger of fire.

                        --
                        Alex / AB2RC
                        My rechargeable batteries are revolting.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008
                          On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 18:05 -0400, Alex Flinsch wrote:
                          > What I like to hang on the hook outside the tent are a set of solar
                          > powered lanterns that have little fake candles in them. From about a
                          > foot away they look like real candles -- they flicker and
                          > everything,
                          > and there is no danger of fire.

                          Yes, an excellent idea!