Re: [SCA Newcomers] Ontario newbie

  • tudorpot@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      thanks Tabitaha, that's given me more to check into.

      Freda

      On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Kyla wrote:

      > I don't know which files you scanned, but there is plenty of info
      > regarding

      I scanned the yahoo groups file for this group. thanks, I'll go check.

      > persona creation on the Society web page.
      > http://www.sca.org/
      > Look in the 'New To The SCA' link.
      > The 'Forward Into The Past' link is an article with a brief sketch
      > of some
      > things to look for, and some things to avoid.
      >
      > If you scroll down in the 'New To The SCA' link, under the heading
      > "Who To
      > Be In The SCA", there are links to articles on what an SCA name is,
      > how to
      > choose an SCA name, and at least one name database focused on the
      > society's
      > main time/region - Medieval/Renaissance Europe and England.
      >
      > Although you didn't ask about these things, which I hope means you
      > have
      > already found a group near you, there are also links to Society
      > maps, to
      I found my barony and an event for this coming weekend.

      > and who your local group is, a glossary of terms used by people in
      > the SCA
      must go and read more

      > , so you can look up what "known world" means, if you don't already
      > know, and explanations of many of the most popular SCA activities.

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        Freda wrote:
        > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about names. . .

        Start with the Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/>.
        Read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers", and then visit
        the naming guides for the culture(s) that interest you. If they have
        articles with names like "X Names 101" or "Intro to X Names", read
        them, too. (Somebody wrote them for a reason.) Then look at the
        articles that list names and look for something you like, keeping the
        guidelines you've learned in mind.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          Freda wrote:
          > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about. . .persona.

          Like almost everything else in the SCA, the type and degree of persona
          play you do is a matter of personal choice. Many people never do more
          than choose a personal name (a "first name", in modern American
          parlance) to use at events. A much smaller group do "high
          persona"--meaning they never break character while at an event, but
          speak and behave (as much as they are able) as though they actually are
          the individuals they portray. The majority fall somewhere in between.
          Around here (and things do vary from region to region within the
          Society), almost everybody has selected a culture (I'm Irish Gaelic,
          for example), a general time period (I'm from the late 9th to early
          10th century) and a locale (I'm from Munster). It makes things like
          putting together outfits and a name easier, because it narrows the
          focus.

          A lot of people pick a name they like or identify clothes they want to
          wear, figure out the where/when/who that relates to that, and build
          from there. Others start with a culture they're interested in--maybe
          that indigenous to an area they've visited and loved, or that of their
          ancestors, or that from which a particular craft they do or want to do
          comes. Still others begin with an SCA passion, and put together a
          persona who would've been passionate about the same thing. (Rapier
          duels, for instance, were done only at the very, very end of the SCA
          period, and were of widespread popularity in a limited number of
          settings. Some rapier enthusiasts select their personae from those
          settings at that time, specifically, so that rapier "makes sense" as
          part of their persona play.)

          You can do whatever works for you. There are a few hard, fast rules
          you should remember:

          1) You're not obligated to do any persona play. You can even use your
          mundane name, if you choose to, at events, though it's recommended that
          everybody have an SCA name because it helps distance events from the
          "everyday" for them and everybody else.

          2) You're not obligated to fit all (or any) of your SCA activities
          into your persona. A 10th-century Dane can fight rapier, and an
          Elizabethan gentleman can recite skaldic poetry. Choosing a persona
          should never mean limiting your involvement in any part of the Society.

          3) You're not limited to one persona. Some SCAdians change both
          clothes and name between the archery range and the dance floor, and
          again before they present their Arts & Sciences competition entry.
          People will probably know you by one name more than others, and if
          you're given awards they will bear one name, though, so it's a good
          idea to decide for yourself what your "primary name" will be, and make
          sure people are aware of it.

          4) There's no hurry. Take your time deciding on a name, and make sure
          you like both it and the persona that goes with it, before you start
          telling people that's who you are.

          If you WANT to choose a persona right away (whether your only one or
          just one to go with your primary name), and want a fully-developed
          persona where everything "makes sense" together, here's my
          recommendation:

          Step 1: Think about what's really important to you as a SCAdian.
          Fencing? Big, poofy dresses with pearls sewn on their bodices? Doing
          Opus Anglicanum? Learning more about Spain? Not having to be
          Christian? Using your own hand-made stoneware at feast? The idea is
          to identify those elements that you really want to make a big part of
          your S.C.A. experience, and pick a persona into which those elements
          fit logically. Often, when you read that list, where/when you should
          "be from" becomes VERY obvious. And even if it isn't, you should be
          able to use it to start narrowing down your options.

          Step 2: Visit the Medieval Names Archive
          <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Read the articles on choosing a
          medieval name. Then visit the guides to names for the culture(s)
          you're considering. Or, if you haven't narrowed it down that far yet,
          pick a few that seem likely (countries you've always wanted to visit,
          cultures whose music or art you admire, etc.) and read up on those.
          You may find the names from certain cultures grate on your ear, while
          others seem to resonate. Remember you're choosing a name to use every
          day, not just to put on scrolls. You want to like the sound of it, and
          be willing to answer to it. (What's the point of picking out an
          authentic moniker if you're going to end up telling everybody to call
          you "Candy" because it just doesn't sound like YOU?)

          Step 3: Visit the costume and clothing section of the Atlantian A&S
          Links site
          <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
          action=displaycat&catid=10>, and look at the recommended resources for
          the cultures and periods you're most strongly considering. If there's
          not much there (or if there is, but you want more), go to the Web
          Gallery of Art <http://www.wga.hu/index.html>, the Artchive
          <http://artchive.com/ftp_site.htm>, or the Wikimedia Commons list of
          illuminated manuscripts
          <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:
          Illuminated_manuscripts_by_century> and look at period images. (This
          will be more effective for later periods.) Some of the clothing may
          make you giggle, or wrinkle your nose in distaste. You may think, "No
          WAY I'd go out in public in THAT!", or, "Ooh! I want one!", or, "Now
          THAT looks comfortable!" when you see what's characteristic. Or you
          might realize that you don't have and don't plan to develop the skills
          necessary to make it, and must consider whether you could afford to buy
          everything you'll need. Remember you're choosing clothes to WEAR,
          maybe for a week or more at a time (if you go to the big wars). You
          want to like the look of them, and feel good putting them on.

          Step 4: Consider all of the things you learned about yourself in steps
          1 through 3. Is there a single place/time that stands out, now, as
          being "just right" for you? If not, investigate the front runners--the
          politics of the time, the other cultures with which they had regular
          contact, the technologies they used. Remember, the S.C.A. is all about
          learning. If you pick a persona from a place and time you find
          interesting, you'll enjoy fleshing it out more, and will ultimately
          learn more in the process.

          If you do all of that and still don't know what your persona should be,
          you're not ready to pick one. Chill out, enjoy getting your feet wet,
          and wait for inspiration. There's no rush.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>

        • Clare
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
            Coblaith, that was a great post. I know it was directed at Ontario
            Newbie, but I got a lot out of it.

            I'm going to be at Denvention this August. Surely there will be some
            SCA people there to talk to, if I don't get in touch with a local
            group before then.

            I'm kind of leaning toward Welsh/Irish fighter/archer, but there's
            plenty of time to decide. I still want to wear my Italian Renn gown,
            though. I put enough work into it, after all.

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach