RE: [SCA Newcomers] Ontario newbie

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hello Freda,

      Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the newcomer's list.

      I don't know which files you scanned, but there is plenty of info regarding
      persona creation on the Society web page.
      http://www.sca.org/
      Look in the 'New To The SCA' link.
      The 'Forward Into The Past' link is an article with a brief sketch of some
      things to look for, and some things to avoid.

      If you scroll down in the 'New To The SCA' link, under the heading "Who To
      Be In The SCA", there are links to articles on what an SCA name is, how to
      choose an SCA name, and at least one name database focused on the society's
      main time/region - Medieval/Renaissance Europe and England.

      Although you didn't ask about these things, which I hope means you have
      already found a group near you, there are also links to Society maps, to
      help you figure out where you are in the known world, (based on your zip
      code,) and who your local group is, a glossary of terms used by people in
      the SCA, so you can look up what "known world" means, if you don't already
      know, and explanations of many of the most popular SCA activities.

      I would like to thank you for including your kingdom in your initial email,
      as that can make finding kingdom specific answers much easier for the people
      trying to help you.

      I hope you can find what you are looking for, but if you can't, you should
      contact your local group's chatelaine or seneschal, once you have located
      you local group, and ask them for help.
      You are always welcome to ask more questions here, of course, but your local
      group will have specific information about how things are done where you
      are, while this list is an international one. Finding out how things are
      done in Ansteorra may be interesting to you, but not really to the point for
      you right now.

      Good luck with your search, and let us know how things go.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands,
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        thanks Tabitaha, that's given me more to check into.

        Freda

        On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Kyla wrote:

        > I don't know which files you scanned, but there is plenty of info
        > regarding

        I scanned the yahoo groups file for this group. thanks, I'll go check.

        > persona creation on the Society web page.
        > http://www.sca.org/
        > Look in the 'New To The SCA' link.
        > The 'Forward Into The Past' link is an article with a brief sketch
        > of some
        > things to look for, and some things to avoid.
        >
        > If you scroll down in the 'New To The SCA' link, under the heading
        > "Who To
        > Be In The SCA", there are links to articles on what an SCA name is,
        > how to
        > choose an SCA name, and at least one name database focused on the
        > society's
        > main time/region - Medieval/Renaissance Europe and England.
        >
        > Although you didn't ask about these things, which I hope means you
        > have
        > already found a group near you, there are also links to Society
        > maps, to
        I found my barony and an event for this coming weekend.

        > and who your local group is, a glossary of terms used by people in
        > the SCA
        must go and read more

        > , so you can look up what "known world" means, if you don't already
        > know, and explanations of many of the most popular SCA activities.

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          Freda wrote:
          > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about names. . .

          Start with the Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/>.
          Read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers", and then visit
          the naming guides for the culture(s) that interest you. If they have
          articles with names like "X Names 101" or "Intro to X Names", read
          them, too. (Somebody wrote them for a reason.) Then look at the
          articles that list names and look for something you like, keeping the
          guidelines you've learned in mind.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
            Freda wrote:
            > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about. . .persona.

            Like almost everything else in the SCA, the type and degree of persona
            play you do is a matter of personal choice. Many people never do more
            than choose a personal name (a "first name", in modern American
            parlance) to use at events. A much smaller group do "high
            persona"--meaning they never break character while at an event, but
            speak and behave (as much as they are able) as though they actually are
            the individuals they portray. The majority fall somewhere in between.
            Around here (and things do vary from region to region within the
            Society), almost everybody has selected a culture (I'm Irish Gaelic,
            for example), a general time period (I'm from the late 9th to early
            10th century) and a locale (I'm from Munster). It makes things like
            putting together outfits and a name easier, because it narrows the
            focus.

            A lot of people pick a name they like or identify clothes they want to
            wear, figure out the where/when/who that relates to that, and build
            from there. Others start with a culture they're interested in--maybe
            that indigenous to an area they've visited and loved, or that of their
            ancestors, or that from which a particular craft they do or want to do
            comes. Still others begin with an SCA passion, and put together a
            persona who would've been passionate about the same thing. (Rapier
            duels, for instance, were done only at the very, very end of the SCA
            period, and were of widespread popularity in a limited number of
            settings. Some rapier enthusiasts select their personae from those
            settings at that time, specifically, so that rapier "makes sense" as
            part of their persona play.)

            You can do whatever works for you. There are a few hard, fast rules
            you should remember:

            1) You're not obligated to do any persona play. You can even use your
            mundane name, if you choose to, at events, though it's recommended that
            everybody have an SCA name because it helps distance events from the
            "everyday" for them and everybody else.

            2) You're not obligated to fit all (or any) of your SCA activities
            into your persona. A 10th-century Dane can fight rapier, and an
            Elizabethan gentleman can recite skaldic poetry. Choosing a persona
            should never mean limiting your involvement in any part of the Society.

            3) You're not limited to one persona. Some SCAdians change both
            clothes and name between the archery range and the dance floor, and
            again before they present their Arts & Sciences competition entry.
            People will probably know you by one name more than others, and if
            you're given awards they will bear one name, though, so it's a good
            idea to decide for yourself what your "primary name" will be, and make
            sure people are aware of it.

            4) There's no hurry. Take your time deciding on a name, and make sure
            you like both it and the persona that goes with it, before you start
            telling people that's who you are.

            If you WANT to choose a persona right away (whether your only one or
            just one to go with your primary name), and want a fully-developed
            persona where everything "makes sense" together, here's my
            recommendation:

            Step 1: Think about what's really important to you as a SCAdian.
            Fencing? Big, poofy dresses with pearls sewn on their bodices? Doing
            Opus Anglicanum? Learning more about Spain? Not having to be
            Christian? Using your own hand-made stoneware at feast? The idea is
            to identify those elements that you really want to make a big part of
            your S.C.A. experience, and pick a persona into which those elements
            fit logically. Often, when you read that list, where/when you should
            "be from" becomes VERY obvious. And even if it isn't, you should be
            able to use it to start narrowing down your options.

            Step 2: Visit the Medieval Names Archive
            <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Read the articles on choosing a
            medieval name. Then visit the guides to names for the culture(s)
            you're considering. Or, if you haven't narrowed it down that far yet,
            pick a few that seem likely (countries you've always wanted to visit,
            cultures whose music or art you admire, etc.) and read up on those.
            You may find the names from certain cultures grate on your ear, while
            others seem to resonate. Remember you're choosing a name to use every
            day, not just to put on scrolls. You want to like the sound of it, and
            be willing to answer to it. (What's the point of picking out an
            authentic moniker if you're going to end up telling everybody to call
            you "Candy" because it just doesn't sound like YOU?)

            Step 3: Visit the costume and clothing section of the Atlantian A&S
            Links site
            <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
            action=displaycat&catid=10>, and look at the recommended resources for
            the cultures and periods you're most strongly considering. If there's
            not much there (or if there is, but you want more), go to the Web
            Gallery of Art <http://www.wga.hu/index.html>, the Artchive
            <http://artchive.com/ftp_site.htm>, or the Wikimedia Commons list of
            illuminated manuscripts
            <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:
            Illuminated_manuscripts_by_century> and look at period images. (This
            will be more effective for later periods.) Some of the clothing may
            make you giggle, or wrinkle your nose in distaste. You may think, "No
            WAY I'd go out in public in THAT!", or, "Ooh! I want one!", or, "Now
            THAT looks comfortable!" when you see what's characteristic. Or you
            might realize that you don't have and don't plan to develop the skills
            necessary to make it, and must consider whether you could afford to buy
            everything you'll need. Remember you're choosing clothes to WEAR,
            maybe for a week or more at a time (if you go to the big wars). You
            want to like the look of them, and feel good putting them on.

            Step 4: Consider all of the things you learned about yourself in steps
            1 through 3. Is there a single place/time that stands out, now, as
            being "just right" for you? If not, investigate the front runners--the
            politics of the time, the other cultures with which they had regular
            contact, the technologies they used. Remember, the S.C.A. is all about
            learning. If you pick a persona from a place and time you find
            interesting, you'll enjoy fleshing it out more, and will ultimately
            learn more in the process.

            If you do all of that and still don't know what your persona should be,
            you're not ready to pick one. Chill out, enjoy getting your feet wet,
            and wait for inspiration. There's no rush.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>

          • Clare
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
              Coblaith, that was a great post. I know it was directed at Ontario
              Newbie, but I got a lot out of it.

              I'm going to be at Denvention this August. Surely there will be some
              SCA people there to talk to, if I don't get in touch with a local
              group before then.

              I'm kind of leaning toward Welsh/Irish fighter/archer, but there's
              plenty of time to decide. I still want to wear my Italian Renn gown,
              though. I put enough work into it, after all.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach