Ontario newbie

  • tudorpot@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi, I'm in Earldormere,
      Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about names/
      persona. I scanned the files, but didn't find any info.

      thanks,

      Freda
    • Kyla
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        Hello Freda,

        Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the newcomer's list.

        I don't know which files you scanned, but there is plenty of info regarding
        persona creation on the Society web page.
        http://www.sca.org/
        Look in the 'New To The SCA' link.
        The 'Forward Into The Past' link is an article with a brief sketch of some
        things to look for, and some things to avoid.

        If you scroll down in the 'New To The SCA' link, under the heading "Who To
        Be In The SCA", there are links to articles on what an SCA name is, how to
        choose an SCA name, and at least one name database focused on the society's
        main time/region - Medieval/Renaissance Europe and England.

        Although you didn't ask about these things, which I hope means you have
        already found a group near you, there are also links to Society maps, to
        help you figure out where you are in the known world, (based on your zip
        code,) and who your local group is, a glossary of terms used by people in
        the SCA, so you can look up what "known world" means, if you don't already
        know, and explanations of many of the most popular SCA activities.

        I would like to thank you for including your kingdom in your initial email,
        as that can make finding kingdom specific answers much easier for the people
        trying to help you.

        I hope you can find what you are looking for, but if you can't, you should
        contact your local group's chatelaine or seneschal, once you have located
        you local group, and ask them for help.
        You are always welcome to ask more questions here, of course, but your local
        group will have specific information about how things are done where you
        are, while this list is an international one. Finding out how things are
        done in Ansteorra may be interesting to you, but not really to the point for
        you right now.

        Good luck with your search, and let us know how things go.

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands,
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          thanks Tabitaha, that's given me more to check into.

          Freda

          On Jun 4, 2008, at 9:10 AM, Kyla wrote:

          > I don't know which files you scanned, but there is plenty of info
          > regarding

          I scanned the yahoo groups file for this group. thanks, I'll go check.

          > persona creation on the Society web page.
          > http://www.sca.org/
          > Look in the 'New To The SCA' link.
          > The 'Forward Into The Past' link is an article with a brief sketch
          > of some
          > things to look for, and some things to avoid.
          >
          > If you scroll down in the 'New To The SCA' link, under the heading
          > "Who To
          > Be In The SCA", there are links to articles on what an SCA name is,
          > how to
          > choose an SCA name, and at least one name database focused on the
          > society's
          > main time/region - Medieval/Renaissance Europe and England.
          >
          > Although you didn't ask about these things, which I hope means you
          > have
          > already found a group near you, there are also links to Society
          > maps, to
          I found my barony and an event for this coming weekend.

          > and who your local group is, a glossary of terms used by people in
          > the SCA
          must go and read more

          > , so you can look up what "known world" means, if you don't already
          > know, and explanations of many of the most popular SCA activities.

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
            Freda wrote:
            > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about names. . .

            Start with the Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/>.
            Read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers", and then visit
            the naming guides for the culture(s) that interest you. If they have
            articles with names like "X Names 101" or "Intro to X Names", read
            them, too. (Somebody wrote them for a reason.) Then look at the
            articles that list names and look for something you like, keeping the
            guidelines you've learned in mind.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
              Freda wrote:
              > Plan on getting involved and would like to find out about. . .persona.

              Like almost everything else in the SCA, the type and degree of persona
              play you do is a matter of personal choice. Many people never do more
              than choose a personal name (a "first name", in modern American
              parlance) to use at events. A much smaller group do "high
              persona"--meaning they never break character while at an event, but
              speak and behave (as much as they are able) as though they actually are
              the individuals they portray. The majority fall somewhere in between.
              Around here (and things do vary from region to region within the
              Society), almost everybody has selected a culture (I'm Irish Gaelic,
              for example), a general time period (I'm from the late 9th to early
              10th century) and a locale (I'm from Munster). It makes things like
              putting together outfits and a name easier, because it narrows the
              focus.

              A lot of people pick a name they like or identify clothes they want to
              wear, figure out the where/when/who that relates to that, and build
              from there. Others start with a culture they're interested in--maybe
              that indigenous to an area they've visited and loved, or that of their
              ancestors, or that from which a particular craft they do or want to do
              comes. Still others begin with an SCA passion, and put together a
              persona who would've been passionate about the same thing. (Rapier
              duels, for instance, were done only at the very, very end of the SCA
              period, and were of widespread popularity in a limited number of
              settings. Some rapier enthusiasts select their personae from those
              settings at that time, specifically, so that rapier "makes sense" as
              part of their persona play.)

              You can do whatever works for you. There are a few hard, fast rules
              you should remember:

              1) You're not obligated to do any persona play. You can even use your
              mundane name, if you choose to, at events, though it's recommended that
              everybody have an SCA name because it helps distance events from the
              "everyday" for them and everybody else.

              2) You're not obligated to fit all (or any) of your SCA activities
              into your persona. A 10th-century Dane can fight rapier, and an
              Elizabethan gentleman can recite skaldic poetry. Choosing a persona
              should never mean limiting your involvement in any part of the Society.

              3) You're not limited to one persona. Some SCAdians change both
              clothes and name between the archery range and the dance floor, and
              again before they present their Arts & Sciences competition entry.
              People will probably know you by one name more than others, and if
              you're given awards they will bear one name, though, so it's a good
              idea to decide for yourself what your "primary name" will be, and make
              sure people are aware of it.

              4) There's no hurry. Take your time deciding on a name, and make sure
              you like both it and the persona that goes with it, before you start
              telling people that's who you are.

              If you WANT to choose a persona right away (whether your only one or
              just one to go with your primary name), and want a fully-developed
              persona where everything "makes sense" together, here's my
              recommendation:

              Step 1: Think about what's really important to you as a SCAdian.
              Fencing? Big, poofy dresses with pearls sewn on their bodices? Doing
              Opus Anglicanum? Learning more about Spain? Not having to be
              Christian? Using your own hand-made stoneware at feast? The idea is
              to identify those elements that you really want to make a big part of
              your S.C.A. experience, and pick a persona into which those elements
              fit logically. Often, when you read that list, where/when you should
              "be from" becomes VERY obvious. And even if it isn't, you should be
              able to use it to start narrowing down your options.

              Step 2: Visit the Medieval Names Archive
              <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/>. Read the articles on choosing a
              medieval name. Then visit the guides to names for the culture(s)
              you're considering. Or, if you haven't narrowed it down that far yet,
              pick a few that seem likely (countries you've always wanted to visit,
              cultures whose music or art you admire, etc.) and read up on those.
              You may find the names from certain cultures grate on your ear, while
              others seem to resonate. Remember you're choosing a name to use every
              day, not just to put on scrolls. You want to like the sound of it, and
              be willing to answer to it. (What's the point of picking out an
              authentic moniker if you're going to end up telling everybody to call
              you "Candy" because it just doesn't sound like YOU?)

              Step 3: Visit the costume and clothing section of the Atlantian A&S
              Links site
              <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
              action=displaycat&catid=10>, and look at the recommended resources for
              the cultures and periods you're most strongly considering. If there's
              not much there (or if there is, but you want more), go to the Web
              Gallery of Art <http://www.wga.hu/index.html>, the Artchive
              <http://artchive.com/ftp_site.htm>, or the Wikimedia Commons list of
              illuminated manuscripts
              <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:
              Illuminated_manuscripts_by_century> and look at period images. (This
              will be more effective for later periods.) Some of the clothing may
              make you giggle, or wrinkle your nose in distaste. You may think, "No
              WAY I'd go out in public in THAT!", or, "Ooh! I want one!", or, "Now
              THAT looks comfortable!" when you see what's characteristic. Or you
              might realize that you don't have and don't plan to develop the skills
              necessary to make it, and must consider whether you could afford to buy
              everything you'll need. Remember you're choosing clothes to WEAR,
              maybe for a week or more at a time (if you go to the big wars). You
              want to like the look of them, and feel good putting them on.

              Step 4: Consider all of the things you learned about yourself in steps
              1 through 3. Is there a single place/time that stands out, now, as
              being "just right" for you? If not, investigate the front runners--the
              politics of the time, the other cultures with which they had regular
              contact, the technologies they used. Remember, the S.C.A. is all about
              learning. If you pick a persona from a place and time you find
              interesting, you'll enjoy fleshing it out more, and will ultimately
              learn more in the process.

              If you do all of that and still don't know what your persona should be,
              you're not ready to pick one. Chill out, enjoy getting your feet wet,
              and wait for inspiration. There's no rush.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>

            • Clare
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2008
                Coblaith, that was a great post. I know it was directed at Ontario
                Newbie, but I got a lot out of it.

                I'm going to be at Denvention this August. Surely there will be some
                SCA people there to talk to, if I don't get in touch with a local
                group before then.

                I'm kind of leaning toward Welsh/Irish fighter/archer, but there's
                plenty of time to decide. I still want to wear my Italian Renn gown,
                though. I put enough work into it, after all.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach