Re: [SCA Newcomers] Going To Pennsic For The First Time

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
      wendy brown wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > Somewhere on the net floats a list called : Packing for War. It has wonderful suggestions of what to take to any war you go to. It usually has things you would have thought never to take.
      > Great advice.
      > http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html
      >
      > AElfwynn of Lynford
      > Shire of Beau Fort

      My lady, Milica, and I co-authored a very detailed Pennsic guide for newcomers
      as well:

      http://sca.4th.com/articles/pennsic-adventure

      Kind regards,

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
        In a message dated 6/3/2008 1:13:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        skycat@... writes:

        <<However, I would really appreciate any advice that anyone on this list
        might
        care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
        We will only be going for the second week.>>

        Are you intending to live in the RV at Pennsic? If so, have you seen the
        rules regarding this? I've never really known anyone personally who did that,
        but I know there is a specific area in the parking lot where people can live
        in RVs, and that is the only place. There are no hook-ups but there will be
        portajohns and water spigots nearby. I THINK that you are not allowed to put
        up anything like an awning, table, etc outside your RV but I am not sure of
        that. I think that you also need to preregister with "RV camping" or
        something similar as your camp name, so they know how much space to allot.

        As for other things, be prepared to deal with weather ranging from 100
        degrees plus and humid to 40 degrees and raining at night, and desert dry to
        monsoon season, as well as usually at least one really nasty thunderstorm with
        high winds.
        And be prepared for lots of walking. The campground is roughly 3/4 of a
        mile wide by 1.5 miles long, much of it hilly. If you don't walk a lot
        normally, start walking for exercise now.

        Lancaster, PA

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
          Thank you Lady Morgan, and thanks also to everyone who offered advice and
          encouragement.
          I especially appreciated links to articles which were not already up on the
          Pennsic website!

          We are planning to live in the RV; I have asthma, and may require AC.
          We are already registered for RV parking.
          We have looked at the Pennsic website rules for RVs. (I didn't see anything
          about no awnings.)

          I have been walking 5 miles every Tuesday, and I'm doing it in less than an
          hour! (-:

          We are experienced campers, so I'm not too worried about climate issues.

          I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions, like; don't go
          to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't fence with a hangover, or
          something.

          In any case, good suggestions all, and many thanks for them!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands,
          Middle Kingdom

          skycat@... writes:

[...]

        • Grainne ingen Lugdach
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
            --- On Thu, 6/12/08, Kyla <skycat@...> wrote:

            > I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions,
            > like; don't go
            > to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't
            > fence with a hangover, or
            > something.

            LOL! Well, I'm guessing that those are both excellent tips. :-)

            I went absolutely googly over the class listings at Pennsic. I even put together this little database of every class that caught my eye and drew up a daily schedule with a grid of all of my options, how the classes overlapped, when they were offered again... I mean, I went NUTS with the pre-planning. (It's what I do with just about every vacation...I'm weird that way. *grin*) I excitedly showed it my Pelican, who just smiled sagely and shook her head. She said "Sweet Grainne, I don't want you to kill yourself while you're on vacation." :-)

            I was advised to limit myself to about two or three classes per day. Even though I kept my database/schedule for reference, that's actually about how many I attended. I missed things that I would have liked to have attended, but the weather dictated some of my choices (too hot, too wet), class size dictated some (by the time I got out of one class, there were already 30 or so people in line for the one I wanted to take next), and my own physical state and/or mood dictated others (I'm tired, I'm hungry, I feel like shopping *grin*). As much as I pre-plan, I'm surprisingly okay with going with the flow once I get where I'm going. You know your own body better than anyone else, so as long as you listen to it, you'll be able to pace yourself. Also, make sure to check the Pennsic U staff tent each day, because they post additions, cancellations and time/place changes.

            Another piece of advice that I received that paid off was to browse the merchants before you buy anything. I kept a little notebook on me, and took notes about where I saw something, what they were charging, etc. While some merchants truly sell unique things that you can't find anywhere else, it's definitely worth your while to do some comparison shopping.

            I found out that I took way too much food with me. I have diabetes and do verrrry little processed sugar, so I took some me-friendly snacks along. I maybe touched about 1/3 of them, which meant that I dragged most of the stuff home with me. :-/ There's a stand that sells Hershey's ice cream--including at least one sugar-free flavor each day, and a stand that sells icy treats--shaved ices, Italian ices, etc--and they also had a sugar-free option some days. Nothing that I had back in camp compared to something COLD on those hot days. :-) Pennsic has more food vendors than I realized--and the Cooper's store sells snacks as well. As long as you have a bit of money on you, you won't have to worry about going hungry.

            Hope that helps a bit more! Have FUN!

            Slan,
            Grainne ingen Lugdach
            Shire of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
              In a message dated 6/12/2008 12:21:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              skycat@... writes:

              <<We are planning to live in the RV; I have asthma, and may require AC.
              We are already registered for RV parking.
              We have looked at the Pennsic website rules for RVs. (I didn't see anything
              about no awnings.)>>

              Glad to hear it. I wasn't sure about the awning thing - I have a tendency,
              as my husband says, to read anything I get my hands on so I have actually
              read the RV stuff even though I never intend to own one. But you know how
              things can get mixed up in your head.

              <<I have been walking 5 miles every Tuesday, and I'm doing it in less than an
              hour! (-:>>

              Excellent prep. Doing hills if available, or just level? There's a lot of
              hill at Pennsic, and RV parking, if I remember correctly, is pretty much
              higher than most everything else.

              <<We are experienced campers, so I'm not too worried about climate issues.>>

              Good there. I think too many people who have never camped think they can do
              a week or more at Pennsic and find themselves in trouble. I always tell
              people, if they haven't camped before, they need to do at least one weekend
              close to home, where they can bug out in the middle of the night if needed,
              before they commit to a week at Pennsic.

              <<I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions, like; don't go
              to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't fence with a hangover, or
              something.>>

              Not overscheduling yourself is a huge one. Leave some time just to sit and
              watch the war go by. The best place for this, in my opinion, is under a tree
              in the marketplace near the barn. There is a hierarchy of shade: plastic
              tarp shade is the least effective. Canvas shade is better, but the absolute
              best is tree shade. If you get too hot/tired, find a cold drink and a tree and
              sit for a while.
              Pay attention to how frequently you need to pee. If you can't remember the
              last time you went, you haven't been drinking enough. You should be going 5
              or 6 times a day. Do not be surprised if a total stranger asks you when the
              last time you went was - they may well be noticing that you look overheated
              and be checking up on you. And if you are out and about and feel lightheaded
              or overheated, find the closest person with shade and ask for a spot to sit
              and a cold drink. 99 times out of a hundred you'll get it, and about half the
              time they will offer you a wet cloth to throw over your head or cold water
              to put your feet in as well.

              There is always a water/gatorade station near chirurgeon's point. It is for
              everyone to use if needed. There is also an awning with mister nozzles and
              a rope to pull to turn them on. There are also some of these on the
              battlefield. Use them if needed. They are there for everybody.

              Is that more what you were looking for ? :-)

              Lancaster, PA

              2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                Tabitha,

                You go where I wish to go and can not this year. Have your "guy" stab
                someone for me and please go the scribal tea for a bit too for me.

                Pennsic is awesome in many if not all senses of the word. The biggest
                piece of advice I have is this.

                Everything in moderation! If you can't find 20 things to do at any
                given minute at Pennsic you're for real dead. Pick out a relatively
                realistic schedule for each day you're there. Make sure you highlight
                a couple (but no more than four) have to do things each day and then
                be willing to let any thing else drop. This means for any 24 hour
                period. Get no less than 6 hours of sleep any given night and try to
                get a 8 hours of sleep more often than not.

                Knowing, what I know of Pennsic I also recommend that you go at YOUR
                pace and not get cajoled into doing things too fast or too quickly
                together. Also understand that communication at Pennsic is always
                relative and so are all plans. Sure, you agreed to meet up with a
                group of people at the food court at 1:30 but they never showed up.
                Don't worry about it. Chances are they ended up helping someone (some
                group) out and were being generally chivalrous. Give people the
                benefit of the doubt, so much happens at Pennsic that is unplanned
                that changes the plans you did make. Its okay. Really.

                And of course keep yourself healthy! Pay attention to what you're
                body is telling you! And, as I always say, EAT when you are not
                hungry, Drink when you are not thirsty! Also, at Pennsic pay close
                attention to what your feet, knees, hips, back and shoulders are
                telling you. Take a break if they start to complain.

                Take care over there Tabitha and if you see a decent feather grab it
                for me. ;-) I'll pen you something for it, maybe with it.

                Here is my link for newcomers in the SCA. Perhaps you will find
                something else useful on it. Anyone else if of course welcome to use it.

                http://ianthegreen01.googlepages.com/newcomeradviceonthesca

                Ian the Green

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                > Greetings All,
                >
                > My guy and I, having acquired an RV that can make the trip from
                Chicagoland,
                > are going to Pennsic this summer.
                > We have never been before.
                > I have been going through the Pennsic FAQ sheet, and making notes about
                > those things which I had not thought of before.
                >
                > However, I would really appreciate any advice that anyone on this
                list might
                > care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
                > We will only be going for the second week.
                >
                > I am so looking forward to meeting some of you in the flesh!
                >
                > Thank you all in advance,
                >
                > Tabitha Pennywarden
                > Ravenslake, Midlands
                > Middle Kingdom

              • Chris Chastain
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                  My best advice for any SCA event especially a war, remember scadians keep
                  scadian time not real world time! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS add an "ish" to any
                  set schedule or time. If there's one thing that is very period is time
                  keeping!

                  Dmitrii

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>