Going To Pennsic For The First Time

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
      Greetings All,

      My guy and I, having acquired an RV that can make the trip from Chicagoland,
      are going to Pennsic this summer.
      We have never been before.
      I have been going through the Pennsic FAQ sheet, and making notes about
      those things which I had not thought of before.

      However, I would really appreciate any advice that anyone on this list might
      care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
      We will only be going for the second week.

      I am so looking forward to meeting some of you in the flesh!

      Thank you all in advance,

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

    • Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- Kyla <skycat@...> wrote:

        > However, I would really appreciate any advice that
        > anyone on this list might
        > care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
        > We will only be going for the second week.

        How wonderful for you!! I went to my first Pennsic
        last summer and LOVED it--even with the heat and the
        Pennsic dirt/mud (depending on whether it had rained
        that day *grin*). The second week is a good time to be
        there. Since it's "War Week," everything is up and
        running--merchants, classes, lots and lots of
        activities.

        Even though I'd done a lot of "research" and asked
        lots of questions, I wasn't truly prepared for just
        how HUGE Pennsic really is. One of the best things
        that I did was take a ride on one of the shuttle
        busses my first day there. I did a full circuit on the
        bus, and was able to see a large portion of the site
        without having to walk it.

        Have a blast!! I plan to go back next year. I just had
        a 2-week vacation to Ireland, so I won't be going this
        year.

        Slan,
        Grainne ingen Lugdach
        Shire of Roxbury Mill
        Atlantia
      • wendy brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Greetings,
          Somewhere on the net floats a list called : Packing for War. It has wonderful suggestions of what to take to any war you go to. It usually has things you would have thought never to take.
          Great advice.
          http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html

          AElfwynn of Lynford
          Shire of Beau Fort

          > However, I would really appreciate any advice that
          > anyone on this list might
          > care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
          > We will only be going for the second week.

          How wonderful for you!! I went to my first Pennsic
          last summer and LOVED it--even with the heat and the
          Pennsic dirt/mud (depending on whether it had rained
          that day *grin*). The second week is a good time to be
          there. Since it's "War Week," everything is up and
          running--merchants, classes, lots and lots of
          activities.

          Even though I'd done a lot of "research" and asked
          lots of questions, I wasn't truly prepared for just
          how HUGE Pennsic really is. One of the best things
          that I did was take a ride on one of the shuttle
          busses my first day there. I did a full circuit on the
          bus, and was able to see a large portion of the site
          without having to walk it.

          Have a blast!! I plan to go back next year. I just had
          a 2-week vacation to Ireland, so I won't be going this
          year.

          Slan,
          Grainne ingen Lugdach
          Shire of Roxbury Mill
          Atlantia

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            wendy brown wrote:
            > Greetings,
            > Somewhere on the net floats a list called : Packing for War. It has wonderful suggestions of what to take to any war you go to. It usually has things you would have thought never to take.
            > Great advice.
            > http://www.dragonbear.com/pennlink.html
            >
            > AElfwynn of Lynford
            > Shire of Beau Fort

            My lady, Milica, and I co-authored a very detailed Pennsic guide for newcomers
            as well:

            http://sca.4th.com/articles/pennsic-adventure

            Kind regards,

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2008
              In a message dated 6/3/2008 1:13:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              skycat@... writes:

              <<However, I would really appreciate any advice that anyone on this list
              might
              care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
              We will only be going for the second week.>>

              Are you intending to live in the RV at Pennsic? If so, have you seen the
              rules regarding this? I've never really known anyone personally who did that,
              but I know there is a specific area in the parking lot where people can live
              in RVs, and that is the only place. There are no hook-ups but there will be
              portajohns and water spigots nearby. I THINK that you are not allowed to put
              up anything like an awning, table, etc outside your RV but I am not sure of
              that. I think that you also need to preregister with "RV camping" or
              something similar as your camp name, so they know how much space to allot.

              As for other things, be prepared to deal with weather ranging from 100
              degrees plus and humid to 40 degrees and raining at night, and desert dry to
              monsoon season, as well as usually at least one really nasty thunderstorm with
              high winds.
              And be prepared for lots of walking. The campground is roughly 3/4 of a
              mile wide by 1.5 miles long, much of it hilly. If you don't walk a lot
              normally, start walking for exercise now.

              Lancaster, PA

              Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                Thank you Lady Morgan, and thanks also to everyone who offered advice and
                encouragement.
                I especially appreciated links to articles which were not already up on the
                Pennsic website!

                We are planning to live in the RV; I have asthma, and may require AC.
                We are already registered for RV parking.
                We have looked at the Pennsic website rules for RVs. (I didn't see anything
                about no awnings.)

                I have been walking 5 miles every Tuesday, and I'm doing it in less than an
                hour! (-:

                We are experienced campers, so I'm not too worried about climate issues.

                I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions, like; don't go
                to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't fence with a hangover, or
                something.

                In any case, good suggestions all, and many thanks for them!

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands,
                Middle Kingdom

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                  --- On Thu, 6/12/08, Kyla <skycat@...> wrote:

                  > I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions,
                  > like; don't go
                  > to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't
                  > fence with a hangover, or
                  > something.

                  LOL! Well, I'm guessing that those are both excellent tips. :-)

                  I went absolutely googly over the class listings at Pennsic. I even put together this little database of every class that caught my eye and drew up a daily schedule with a grid of all of my options, how the classes overlapped, when they were offered again... I mean, I went NUTS with the pre-planning. (It's what I do with just about every vacation...I'm weird that way. *grin*) I excitedly showed it my Pelican, who just smiled sagely and shook her head. She said "Sweet Grainne, I don't want you to kill yourself while you're on vacation." :-)

                  I was advised to limit myself to about two or three classes per day. Even though I kept my database/schedule for reference, that's actually about how many I attended. I missed things that I would have liked to have attended, but the weather dictated some of my choices (too hot, too wet), class size dictated some (by the time I got out of one class, there were already 30 or so people in line for the one I wanted to take next), and my own physical state and/or mood dictated others (I'm tired, I'm hungry, I feel like shopping *grin*). As much as I pre-plan, I'm surprisingly okay with going with the flow once I get where I'm going. You know your own body better than anyone else, so as long as you listen to it, you'll be able to pace yourself. Also, make sure to check the Pennsic U staff tent each day, because they post additions, cancellations and time/place changes.

                  Another piece of advice that I received that paid off was to browse the merchants before you buy anything. I kept a little notebook on me, and took notes about where I saw something, what they were charging, etc. While some merchants truly sell unique things that you can't find anywhere else, it's definitely worth your while to do some comparison shopping.

                  I found out that I took way too much food with me. I have diabetes and do verrrry little processed sugar, so I took some me-friendly snacks along. I maybe touched about 1/3 of them, which meant that I dragged most of the stuff home with me. :-/ There's a stand that sells Hershey's ice cream--including at least one sugar-free flavor each day, and a stand that sells icy treats--shaved ices, Italian ices, etc--and they also had a sugar-free option some days. Nothing that I had back in camp compared to something COLD on those hot days. :-) Pennsic has more food vendors than I realized--and the Cooper's store sells snacks as well. As long as you have a bit of money on you, you won't have to worry about going hungry.

                  Hope that helps a bit more! Have FUN!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                    In a message dated 6/12/2008 12:21:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    skycat@... writes:

                    <<We are planning to live in the RV; I have asthma, and may require AC.
                    We are already registered for RV parking.
                    We have looked at the Pennsic website rules for RVs. (I didn't see anything
                    about no awnings.)>>

                    Glad to hear it. I wasn't sure about the awning thing - I have a tendency,
                    as my husband says, to read anything I get my hands on so I have actually
                    read the RV stuff even though I never intend to own one. But you know how
                    things can get mixed up in your head.

                    <<I have been walking 5 miles every Tuesday, and I'm doing it in less than an
                    hour! (-:>>

                    Excellent prep. Doing hills if available, or just level? There's a lot of
                    hill at Pennsic, and RV parking, if I remember correctly, is pretty much
                    higher than most everything else.

                    <<We are experienced campers, so I'm not too worried about climate issues.>>

                    Good there. I think too many people who have never camped think they can do
                    a week or more at Pennsic and find themselves in trouble. I always tell
                    people, if they haven't camped before, they need to do at least one weekend
                    close to home, where they can bug out in the middle of the night if needed,
                    before they commit to a week at Pennsic.

                    <<I was kind of hoping for more Pennsic specific suggestions, like; don't go
                    to more than 5 A&S classes in one day, or don't fence with a hangover, or
                    something.>>

                    Not overscheduling yourself is a huge one. Leave some time just to sit and
                    watch the war go by. The best place for this, in my opinion, is under a tree
                    in the marketplace near the barn. There is a hierarchy of shade: plastic
                    tarp shade is the least effective. Canvas shade is better, but the absolute
                    best is tree shade. If you get too hot/tired, find a cold drink and a tree and
                    sit for a while.
                    Pay attention to how frequently you need to pee. If you can't remember the
                    last time you went, you haven't been drinking enough. You should be going 5
                    or 6 times a day. Do not be surprised if a total stranger asks you when the
                    last time you went was - they may well be noticing that you look overheated
                    and be checking up on you. And if you are out and about and feel lightheaded
                    or overheated, find the closest person with shade and ask for a spot to sit
                    and a cold drink. 99 times out of a hundred you'll get it, and about half the
                    time they will offer you a wet cloth to throw over your head or cold water
                    to put your feet in as well.

                    There is always a water/gatorade station near chirurgeon's point. It is for
                    everyone to use if needed. There is also an awning with mister nozzles and
                    a rope to pull to turn them on. There are also some of these on the
                    battlefield. Use them if needed. They are there for everybody.

                    Is that more what you were looking for ? :-)

                    Lancaster, PA

                    2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

                  • David Roland
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                      Tabitha,

                      You go where I wish to go and can not this year. Have your "guy" stab
                      someone for me and please go the scribal tea for a bit too for me.

                      Pennsic is awesome in many if not all senses of the word. The biggest
                      piece of advice I have is this.

                      Everything in moderation! If you can't find 20 things to do at any
                      given minute at Pennsic you're for real dead. Pick out a relatively
                      realistic schedule for each day you're there. Make sure you highlight
                      a couple (but no more than four) have to do things each day and then
                      be willing to let any thing else drop. This means for any 24 hour
                      period. Get no less than 6 hours of sleep any given night and try to
                      get a 8 hours of sleep more often than not.

                      Knowing, what I know of Pennsic I also recommend that you go at YOUR
                      pace and not get cajoled into doing things too fast or too quickly
                      together. Also understand that communication at Pennsic is always
                      relative and so are all plans. Sure, you agreed to meet up with a
                      group of people at the food court at 1:30 but they never showed up.
                      Don't worry about it. Chances are they ended up helping someone (some
                      group) out and were being generally chivalrous. Give people the
                      benefit of the doubt, so much happens at Pennsic that is unplanned
                      that changes the plans you did make. Its okay. Really.

                      And of course keep yourself healthy! Pay attention to what you're
                      body is telling you! And, as I always say, EAT when you are not
                      hungry, Drink when you are not thirsty! Also, at Pennsic pay close
                      attention to what your feet, knees, hips, back and shoulders are
                      telling you. Take a break if they start to complain.

                      Take care over there Tabitha and if you see a decent feather grab it
                      for me. ;-) I'll pen you something for it, maybe with it.

                      Here is my link for newcomers in the SCA. Perhaps you will find
                      something else useful on it. Anyone else if of course welcome to use it.

                      http://ianthegreen01.googlepages.com/newcomeradviceonthesca

                      Ian the Green

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kyla" <skycat@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings All,
                      >
                      > My guy and I, having acquired an RV that can make the trip from
                      Chicagoland,
                      > are going to Pennsic this summer.
                      > We have never been before.
                      > I have been going through the Pennsic FAQ sheet, and making notes about
                      > those things which I had not thought of before.
                      >
                      > However, I would really appreciate any advice that anyone on this
                      list might
                      > care to give me about how to prepare for this event.
                      > We will only be going for the second week.
                      >
                      > I am so looking forward to meeting some of you in the flesh!
                      >
                      > Thank you all in advance,
                      >
                      > Tabitha Pennywarden
                      > Ravenslake, Midlands
                      > Middle Kingdom

                    • Chris Chastain
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008
                        My best advice for any SCA event especially a war, remember scadians keep
                        scadian time not real world time! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS add an "ish" to any
                        set schedule or time. If there's one thing that is very period is time
                        keeping!

                        Dmitrii

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>