Re: [SCA Newcomers] Old newcomer? New oldtimer?

  • Mariann Eaves
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
      Welcome back Clare! Where are you located now?
      Saranchar
      An oldie and a newbie too

      So when you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it.
      Krishnamurti

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
        Welcome to our little list. Where do you hail from now?

        Ldy Caitrina
        Deputy Hospitaler - Barony of Elfsea
        Kingdom of Ansteorra

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: "Clare" <irishrebl@...>
        Date sent: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:04:41 -0000
        Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Old newcomer? New oldtimer?
        Send reply to: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

        > I guess at this point it's most sensible to call myself a newcomer.
        >
        > I was actually involved in the SCA for about 12 or so years back in
        > the Midrealm (is it still the Midrealm?) when I was much younger.
        > Then I moved cross country. I tried about ten years ago to rejoin
        > where I was at in Colorado, but that entailed walking into a place
        > with about 200 strangers, none of whom seemed inclined to sweep me up
        > and welcome me to their hearthfire (not that they would have allowed
        > fires where this was at).
        >
        > Let me explain. I'm very shy. Walking into a place with 200 strangers
        > took an awful lot of courage on my part. But they for the most part,
        > if they gave me any notice at all, glanced at me with a "who're you?"
        > look and then went about their business. I tried to make friends, but
        > like I said, I'm very shy, not good with large groups, and wasn't too
        > successful at it apparently.
        >
        > Then I was hit by a pickup truck, spent months in the hospital, and
        > my attempts to join the SCA went by the wayside.
        >
        > Third time's the charm, right? In the Midrealm, I was a fighter, one
        > of the first women fighters, actually, though it's doubtful that
        > would be remembered. If age, weight, and gender doesn't disallow it,
        > I'd still be interested. I spent several years practicing martial
        > arts, and I've done archery on and off in the past.
        >
        > I'm also interested in sewing, brewing/winemaking, music (I play
        > bodhran), cooking (I garden), and woodworking. Have no idea what my
        > persona or time period would be. It was Celtic way back then, but I
        > guess I'd start over as a newcomer. I do have an Italian Rennaisance
        > gown that I made, complete with chemise and period corset. Be nice to
        > get some use out of it. :-)

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Clare wrote:
          > Third time's the charm, right? In the Midrealm, I was a fighter, one
          > of the first women fighters, actually, though it's doubtful that
          > would be remembered. If age, weight, and gender doesn't disallow it,
          > I'd still be interested. I spent several years practicing martial
          > arts, and I've done archery on and off in the past.

          If you're physically able to pass the reauthorization test and your
          armour and weapons pass inspection, you can fight again. You may be asked
          to retake a full authorization test rather than just a reauth because of
          the long time since you last fought; there have been rules changes.

          If you find that melee fighting is too much for you, you could also
          consider combining your archery and fighting interest to become a combat
          archer and/or siege engineer. Both of these require full armour but are
          less physically demanding (most of the time) than direct combat.

          Your age and weight constraints are up to you, but gender is absolutely
          not an issue. A few months ago a Midrealm female Knight came just one
          bout short of winning Queen by Right of Arms. That should let you know
          where women stand as fighters in the Midrealm these days. :-)

          > I'm also interested in sewing, brewing/winemaking, music (I play
          > bodhran), cooking (I garden), and woodworking. Have no idea what my
          > persona or time period would be. It was Celtic way back then, but I
          > guess I'd start over as a newcomer. I do have an Italian Rennaisance
          > gown that I made, complete with chemise and period corset. Be nice to
          > get some use out of it. :-)

          Don't feel your Renaissance gown has to match your persona. You can do
          Celtic persona (or whatever) and still wear the Ren gown as (for example)
          court garb. Either explain that your persona is traveling in Italy today
          and you wanted to dress like the locals, or (better yet) don't bother
          explaining at all, because no one else is likely to complain anyway. Most
          people won't know your persona is not Italian, and those who do are likely
          to merely compliment you on the lovely garb and passingly ask if you are
          changing personas. "I simply like wearing Italian Ren occasionally" is a
          perfectly acceptable answer.

          Welcome back! Where in the Midrealm do you live? You can use the listings
          at http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/ to find the group nearest you.

          Kind regards,

          Justin
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hello Clare,

            Welcome back to the SCA, and welcome to the newcomer's list!
            I guess you could be an oldcomer, if you like.

            Much of the region formerly called the Midrealm, is still the Midrealm.
            However, some of the northern area recently (within the time period you were
            not involved,) split off to become the Kingdom of Northshield. You can
            check the Society maps, if you would like more detailed information:
            http://www.sca.org/

            I also suggest checking out the 'new to the SCA' link, for initial help on
            developing a persona.
            It was unclear to me whether you want to change your persona, or not - if
            you don't want to, then don't - just keep your old persona. Nothing says
            you have to make a new one.
            If you do want to, then do - it's fun to explore other places and times.
            I'm currently working on 2 personas; an English Elizabethan, and a Persian,
            in the time of Alexander the Great.

            As far as fighting goes, there is an option that may not have been available
            to you 12 years ago.
            These days, fighting is divided into 'heavy' which is what you are familiar
            with, and 'light', which is rapier fighting.
            Rapier fighting uses a Schlager blade, not a foil or epee; closer to what
            might have been used in period, and cloth armor.
            There are no restrictions based on gender, only on age (youth) and what you
            are capable of.
            Since my husband and I only joined the SCA a few years ago, and we are both
            'older' (I just turned 43,) I am starting with several handicaps, including
            the style of Salvatore Fabris, a period fencing master.

            Where are you currently located?
            I'm sure there is a fighter practice near you, and that would be far fewer
            than 200 people!
            Have you been able to locate the seneschal, or chatelaine of the group
            nearest to you?
            You should contact them, if you are shy, and introduce yourself, so you will
            know at least one person before you walk in.

            If you have any other questions, this list is an excellent place to ask
            them!
            The people on this list, oldtimers, newcomers, oldcomers all are the most
            helpful, welcoming people I have seen in the SCA, which is, in general, a
            welcoming organization.

            Tabith Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
              Tabith shares:
              > If you do want to, then do - it's fun to explore other places and times.
              > I'm currently working on 2 personas; an English Elizabethan, and a Persian,
              > in the time of Alexander the Great.

              Multiple personas? Persian? *perks up*

              Hi, I'm Jibra'il `Attar, and I have a case of multiple persona
              disorder. I blame it on being a book herald and seeing all those cool
              names out there. And from having A&S A.D.D....*nods* [[Ever here of
              that "Oooo shiny!" complex? Yeah...that's me....]]

              I actually have 5 personas...2 that people have seen on a frequent
              basis, with a 3rd that makes an appearance here and there. The other 2
              are rare visions:

              * Jibra'il `Attar: a 16th-century Safavid Persian in the Court of Shah
              Tahmasp. As the byname [`Attar] suggests, he has a strong interest in
              what can only be classified as "all things apothecary".

              * Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi: a mid-15th century Florentine. This
              used to be my primary persona, but he's not "retired to the family
              lands" where his only goal in life is to "just look pretty".

              * Jedediah Glasmon: a 12th-century Londoner. As the byname [Glasmon[
              suggests, he is indeed a glasswright...with a preference for making
              glass beads.

              * Mishka Lamanov: a 14th-century Kievian Rus. He's a textile merchant
              by trade....

              * Decimus Saturius Praeconinus: a 4th-century Roman. As the byname
              [Praeconinus] suggests, he is not only related to a herald, he IS a
              herald.

              Thanks for listening the ramblings, now I shall go back to the salt
              mines of Mundania.
              Until the next time,
              Jibra'il.
            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                Oooh, Clare,
                with all those interests, - you'd be so welcome in Insulæ Draconis, or indeed anywhere else in Drachenwald!
                And from what I have seen of our "welcome persons", they'd make very sure that you would be taken round and inrtoduced the everyone.
                If you emigrated to West Dragonshire, the Lord Raphe,  the Shire Seneschal,  or Mistress Ariel of Lindisfarne, his lady, or I [I just volunteered as Shire Hospitaller - can't think why, must have had a brainstorm or a "senior moment"!] - would make very sure you were taken around and introduced to all the notables present at your first event.
                And Winchester Pilgrimage III and Raglan Ffair IV are the kind of events you'd be able to attend over here in Insulæ Draconis, see the respective webpages -URL's below

                Servus,
                Lord Matthew Baker,
                [three years ago an SCA newbie himself, though not a shy one, having come in from another living-history group]

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Why yes, in fact, you told me about the SCA Persian list, on which I now
                  lurk.
                  No name for the Persian persona, yet, it's the clothes I love.

                  Tabitha Pennywarden
                  Ravenslake, Midlands
                  Middle Kingdom

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Tabitha;
                    > Why yes, in fact, you told me about the SCA Persian list, on which I now
                    > lurk. No name for the Persian persona, yet, it's the clothes I love.

                    Oh good...that list is love, isn't it?

                    *heraldic ears perk up* No name yet?! How may I help rectify that? *grins*

                    And yes...Persian garb is love, too. *swoons as he stares are more
                    Persian miniatures* My Laurel is starting to get scared of me when I
                    mention I've found another miniature I hadn't seen before. He's even
                    more scared when I say I've gotten a new book or found a new
                    reference...*smiles innocently*

                    Jibra'il.
                  • Clare
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                      I haven't actually been back to the Midrealm in almost 20 years.
                      Currently I still live in the Denver metro area, where I attempted
                      some years back to rejoin. I would definitely do better with a
                      smaller group, a much smaller group. :-)

                      I think I'd probably go with a new persona. I've considered early
                      Welsh or Irish, Italian Renn, or possibly a samurai of feudal Japan.
                      (I saw on a show on PBS or Discovery that women could be samurais.)
                      I'm middle-aged, overweight, and asthmatic, but then I've also been
                      practicing martial arts for the last several years, so I haven't been
                      a couch potato.

                      Actually, I don't own a couch, but I haven't been an office chair
                      potato, either.

                      I've done some weapons work in my martial arts classes: sword, bo,
                      nunchaku. But that was kata only, not any actual fighting.