Old newcomer? New oldtimer?

  • Clare
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
      I guess at this point it's most sensible to call myself a newcomer.

      I was actually involved in the SCA for about 12 or so years back in
      the Midrealm (is it still the Midrealm?) when I was much younger.
      Then I moved cross country. I tried about ten years ago to rejoin
      where I was at in Colorado, but that entailed walking into a place
      with about 200 strangers, none of whom seemed inclined to sweep me up
      and welcome me to their hearthfire (not that they would have allowed
      fires where this was at).

      Let me explain. I'm very shy. Walking into a place with 200 strangers
      took an awful lot of courage on my part. But they for the most part,
      if they gave me any notice at all, glanced at me with a "who're you?"
      look and then went about their business. I tried to make friends, but
      like I said, I'm very shy, not good with large groups, and wasn't too
      successful at it apparently.

      Then I was hit by a pickup truck, spent months in the hospital, and
      my attempts to join the SCA went by the wayside.

      Third time's the charm, right? In the Midrealm, I was a fighter, one
      of the first women fighters, actually, though it's doubtful that
      would be remembered. If age, weight, and gender doesn't disallow it,
      I'd still be interested. I spent several years practicing martial
      arts, and I've done archery on and off in the past.

      I'm also interested in sewing, brewing/winemaking, music (I play
      bodhran), cooking (I garden), and woodworking. Have no idea what my
      persona or time period would be. It was Celtic way back then, but I
      guess I'd start over as a newcomer. I do have an Italian Rennaisance
      gown that I made, complete with chemise and period corset. Be nice to
      get some use out of it. :-)
    • Mariann Eaves
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
        Welcome back Clare! Where are you located now?
        Saranchar
        An oldie and a newbie too

        So when you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it.
        Krishnamurti

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
          Welcome to our little list. Where do you hail from now?

          Ldy Caitrina
          Deputy Hospitaler - Barony of Elfsea
          Kingdom of Ansteorra

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          From: "Clare" <irishrebl@...>
          Date sent: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 08:04:41 -0000
          Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Old newcomer? New oldtimer?
          Send reply to: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

          > I guess at this point it's most sensible to call myself a newcomer.
          >
          > I was actually involved in the SCA for about 12 or so years back in
          > the Midrealm (is it still the Midrealm?) when I was much younger.
          > Then I moved cross country. I tried about ten years ago to rejoin
          > where I was at in Colorado, but that entailed walking into a place
          > with about 200 strangers, none of whom seemed inclined to sweep me up
          > and welcome me to their hearthfire (not that they would have allowed
          > fires where this was at).
          >
          > Let me explain. I'm very shy. Walking into a place with 200 strangers
          > took an awful lot of courage on my part. But they for the most part,
          > if they gave me any notice at all, glanced at me with a "who're you?"
          > look and then went about their business. I tried to make friends, but
          > like I said, I'm very shy, not good with large groups, and wasn't too
          > successful at it apparently.
          >
          > Then I was hit by a pickup truck, spent months in the hospital, and
          > my attempts to join the SCA went by the wayside.
          >
          > Third time's the charm, right? In the Midrealm, I was a fighter, one
          > of the first women fighters, actually, though it's doubtful that
          > would be remembered. If age, weight, and gender doesn't disallow it,
          > I'd still be interested. I spent several years practicing martial
          > arts, and I've done archery on and off in the past.
          >
          > I'm also interested in sewing, brewing/winemaking, music (I play
          > bodhran), cooking (I garden), and woodworking. Have no idea what my
          > persona or time period would be. It was Celtic way back then, but I
          > guess I'd start over as a newcomer. I do have an Italian Rennaisance
          > gown that I made, complete with chemise and period corset. Be nice to
          > get some use out of it. :-)

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
            Clare wrote:
            > Third time's the charm, right? In the Midrealm, I was a fighter, one
            > of the first women fighters, actually, though it's doubtful that
            > would be remembered. If age, weight, and gender doesn't disallow it,
            > I'd still be interested. I spent several years practicing martial
            > arts, and I've done archery on and off in the past.

            If you're physically able to pass the reauthorization test and your
            armour and weapons pass inspection, you can fight again. You may be asked
            to retake a full authorization test rather than just a reauth because of
            the long time since you last fought; there have been rules changes.

            If you find that melee fighting is too much for you, you could also
            consider combining your archery and fighting interest to become a combat
            archer and/or siege engineer. Both of these require full armour but are
            less physically demanding (most of the time) than direct combat.

            Your age and weight constraints are up to you, but gender is absolutely
            not an issue. A few months ago a Midrealm female Knight came just one
            bout short of winning Queen by Right of Arms. That should let you know
            where women stand as fighters in the Midrealm these days. :-)

            > I'm also interested in sewing, brewing/winemaking, music (I play
            > bodhran), cooking (I garden), and woodworking. Have no idea what my
            > persona or time period would be. It was Celtic way back then, but I
            > guess I'd start over as a newcomer. I do have an Italian Rennaisance
            > gown that I made, complete with chemise and period corset. Be nice to
            > get some use out of it. :-)

            Don't feel your Renaissance gown has to match your persona. You can do
            Celtic persona (or whatever) and still wear the Ren gown as (for example)
            court garb. Either explain that your persona is traveling in Italy today
            and you wanted to dress like the locals, or (better yet) don't bother
            explaining at all, because no one else is likely to complain anyway. Most
            people won't know your persona is not Italian, and those who do are likely
            to merely compliment you on the lovely garb and passingly ask if you are
            changing personas. "I simply like wearing Italian Ren occasionally" is a
            perfectly acceptable answer.

            Welcome back! Where in the Midrealm do you live? You can use the listings
            at http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/ to find the group nearest you.

            Kind regards,

            Justin
          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hello Clare,

              Welcome back to the SCA, and welcome to the newcomer's list!
              I guess you could be an oldcomer, if you like.

              Much of the region formerly called the Midrealm, is still the Midrealm.
              However, some of the northern area recently (within the time period you were
              not involved,) split off to become the Kingdom of Northshield. You can
              check the Society maps, if you would like more detailed information:
              http://www.sca.org/

              I also suggest checking out the 'new to the SCA' link, for initial help on
              developing a persona.
              It was unclear to me whether you want to change your persona, or not - if
              you don't want to, then don't - just keep your old persona. Nothing says
              you have to make a new one.
              If you do want to, then do - it's fun to explore other places and times.
              I'm currently working on 2 personas; an English Elizabethan, and a Persian,
              in the time of Alexander the Great.

              As far as fighting goes, there is an option that may not have been available
              to you 12 years ago.
              These days, fighting is divided into 'heavy' which is what you are familiar
              with, and 'light', which is rapier fighting.
              Rapier fighting uses a Schlager blade, not a foil or epee; closer to what
              might have been used in period, and cloth armor.
              There are no restrictions based on gender, only on age (youth) and what you
              are capable of.
              Since my husband and I only joined the SCA a few years ago, and we are both
              'older' (I just turned 43,) I am starting with several handicaps, including
              the style of Salvatore Fabris, a period fencing master.

              Where are you currently located?
              I'm sure there is a fighter practice near you, and that would be far fewer
              than 200 people!
              Have you been able to locate the seneschal, or chatelaine of the group
              nearest to you?
              You should contact them, if you are shy, and introduce yourself, so you will
              know at least one person before you walk in.

              If you have any other questions, this list is an excellent place to ask
              them!
              The people on this list, oldtimers, newcomers, oldcomers all are the most
              helpful, welcoming people I have seen in the SCA, which is, in general, a
              welcoming organization.

              Tabith Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                Tabith shares:
                > If you do want to, then do - it's fun to explore other places and times.
                > I'm currently working on 2 personas; an English Elizabethan, and a Persian,
                > in the time of Alexander the Great.

                Multiple personas? Persian? *perks up*

                Hi, I'm Jibra'il `Attar, and I have a case of multiple persona
                disorder. I blame it on being a book herald and seeing all those cool
                names out there. And from having A&S A.D.D....*nods* [[Ever here of
                that "Oooo shiny!" complex? Yeah...that's me....]]

                I actually have 5 personas...2 that people have seen on a frequent
                basis, with a 3rd that makes an appearance here and there. The other 2
                are rare visions:

                * Jibra'il `Attar: a 16th-century Safavid Persian in the Court of Shah
                Tahmasp. As the byname [`Attar] suggests, he has a strong interest in
                what can only be classified as "all things apothecary".

                * Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi: a mid-15th century Florentine. This
                used to be my primary persona, but he's not "retired to the family
                lands" where his only goal in life is to "just look pretty".

                * Jedediah Glasmon: a 12th-century Londoner. As the byname [Glasmon[
                suggests, he is indeed a glasswright...with a preference for making
                glass beads.

                * Mishka Lamanov: a 14th-century Kievian Rus. He's a textile merchant
                by trade....

                * Decimus Saturius Praeconinus: a 4th-century Roman. As the byname
                [Praeconinus] suggests, he is not only related to a herald, he IS a
                herald.

                Thanks for listening the ramblings, now I shall go back to the salt
                mines of Mundania.
                Until the next time,
                Jibra'il.
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Oooh, Clare,
                  with all those interests, - you'd be so welcome in Insulæ Draconis, or indeed anywhere else in Drachenwald!
                  And from what I have seen of our "welcome persons", they'd make very sure that you would be taken round and inrtoduced the everyone.
                  If you emigrated to West Dragonshire, the Lord Raphe,  the Shire Seneschal,  or Mistress Ariel of Lindisfarne, his lady, or I [I just volunteered as Shire Hospitaller - can't think why, must have had a brainstorm or a "senior moment"!] - would make very sure you were taken around and introduced to all the notables present at your first event.
                  And Winchester Pilgrimage III and Raglan Ffair IV are the kind of events you'd be able to attend over here in Insulæ Draconis, see the respective webpages -URL's below

                  Servus,
                  Lord Matthew Baker,
                  [three years ago an SCA newbie himself, though not a shy one, having come in from another living-history group]

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Why yes, in fact, you told me about the SCA Persian list, on which I now
                    lurk.
                    No name for the Persian persona, yet, it's the clothes I love.

                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                    Middle Kingdom

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Tabitha;
                      > Why yes, in fact, you told me about the SCA Persian list, on which I now
                      > lurk. No name for the Persian persona, yet, it's the clothes I love.

                      Oh good...that list is love, isn't it?

                      *heraldic ears perk up* No name yet?! How may I help rectify that? *grins*

                      And yes...Persian garb is love, too. *swoons as he stares are more
                      Persian miniatures* My Laurel is starting to get scared of me when I
                      mention I've found another miniature I hadn't seen before. He's even
                      more scared when I say I've gotten a new book or found a new
                      reference...*smiles innocently*

                      Jibra'il.
                    • Clare
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2008
                        I haven't actually been back to the Midrealm in almost 20 years.
                        Currently I still live in the Denver metro area, where I attempted
                        some years back to rejoin. I would definitely do better with a
                        smaller group, a much smaller group. :-)

                        I think I'd probably go with a new persona. I've considered early
                        Welsh or Irish, Italian Renn, or possibly a samurai of feudal Japan.
                        (I saw on a show on PBS or Discovery that women could be samurais.)
                        I'm middle-aged, overweight, and asthmatic, but then I've also been
                        practicing martial arts for the last several years, so I haven't been
                        a couch potato.

                        Actually, I don't own a couch, but I haven't been an office chair
                        potato, either.

                        I've done some weapons work in my martial arts classes: sword, bo,
                        nunchaku. But that was kata only, not any actual fighting.