Re: [SCA Newcomers] OT -Looking to commission Cotehardie style dresses

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29 4:01 PM
      > This is a post for a friend who is not in SCA. Her sister is getting
      > married in February and would like to commission 3 dresses. She would
      > like a dressed based on cotehardie style but since this is more of a
      > fantasy wedding than medieval that isn't the exact look.

      I know you asked that replies be sent directly to your friend, but
      since this much of this answer applies more broadly--to any search for
      an artisan from whom to commission clothing--I decided to send it to
      the list, anyway.

      is a better place to post details of what you'd like to have made.
      There are artisans there who take commissions regularly and are
      actively seeking new ones. (Many of them also do work for Ren faires,
      which is closer to what you're looking for than S.C.A. garb, and would
      be familiar with the "pretty princess" look and how to achieve it.)

      If there are SCAdians in your friend's area who take commissions,
      you're more likely to find them through the local branch than through
      any international group. If there's a branch mailing list, that's a
      good place to post the request. Many branches have clothiers' guilds,
      and most of them have ministers of Arts & Sciences. Those individuals
      might be able to help put you in touch with someone who does commercial
      sewing, if for some reason you don't want to use the mailing list.

      > They are looking for someone in the DC metro area.

      In that case, the branch is the Barony of Storvik. They use a Yahoo!
      the website has contact info for the MoAS
      <http://storvik.atlantia.sca.org/whoiswho.html#officers> and the
      individual who co-ordinates the garb research and hand sewing meetings
      <http://storvik.atlantia.sca.org/activities.html#garb>.

      On the other hand, since your friend wants modern dresses there's
      really no reason she needs to commission them from someone who
      specializes in historical clothing. The D.C. yellow pages probably
      list any number of custom dressmakers. Any of them should be able to
      make what she wants, given a photo of the dress that inspired her and
      notes on how she wants it modified. Or she could start with a sewing
      pattern; that'll probably save her time and money. Butterick has three
      that might work: B4827 <http://www.butterick.com/item/B4827.htm>,
      B4377 <http://www.butterick.com/item/B4377.htm>, and B3552
      <http://www.butterick.com/item/B3552.htm>. McCall's also has three:
      M4490 <http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4490.htm>, M4491
      <http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4491.htm>, and M4492
      <http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4492.htm>. They wouldn't be a good
      choice for S.C.A. garb, since their cut and construction won't produce
      anything that looks medieval, but they should suit your friend's needs.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>