Re: [SCA Newcomers] some more questions on garb for newbie

    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2008
      In a message dated 5/22/2008 3:39:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      dairyqmamma@... writes:

      <<what about belts that are not grossly inaccurate?>>

      Most any leather belt, preferably a thinner one (1 inch wide or less), with
      a simple tongued buckle will be reasonably accurate. Only knights can wear
      white belts, and some other colors, particularly green, yellow, and red, are
      often used to denote student/teacher relationships of various sorts. Black or
      brown is your best bet.

      <<Shoes?! The period ones I've seen are way out of my budget at this
      point. Any suggestions for starters?>>

      Period shoes are expensive, and there's a fairly substantial learning curve
      to making your own. Flat black Chinese slippers are good for starters, as
      are plain brown or black leather shoes or sneakers. There are some very period
      looking styles out for women right now; check out the different styles at
      _www.medievalshoes.com_ (http://www.medievalshoes.com) and then go to a shoe
      store and you will see some very familiar looking things.

      <<Head coverings -- We are extremely fair skinned -- were there many
      brimmed hats? (I'm assuming yes, esp. for the working class.) what
      would be an acceptable style?)>>

      Style depends on culture and time period, of course, but most people can get
      away with either a plain wide-brimmed straw hat or a floppy felt hat. The
      felt ones seem to suit men better, in my experience.

      Lancaster, PA

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.