holding names (was: names you can't register)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 30 , May 8, 2008
      Ian wrote:
      > You can of course go ahead and register your amory (device or badges)
      > under a "holding name" as well, so you don't HAVE to register a name
      > to register a device.

      Aryanhwy answered:
      > If Laurel creates a holding name, that *is* your registered name,
      > until such time as you choose to change it.

      Someone should probably mention, too, that in some kingdoms your
      official, registered name will go on any awards you receive regardless
      of whether you've ever used it for anything else. (It may even be a
      Society policy that some branches in some kingdoms are just more
      conscientious about following; I'm not sure.) Since it's just a
      place-holder, Laurel doesn't sweat too much about what to use for a
      holding name. You could end up with the S.C.A. equivalent of "Jane
      Doe" on your scroll(s).

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 30 , May 8, 2008
        Ian wrote:
        > Just don't register you name in the first year of your SCA life
        > because "the Society never forgets" and people will continue to call
        > you by that name for a very long time.

        You know, I hear that noised about a lot. But my observation has been
        that (1) most people are willing to make an effort to switch over to a
        new name if they know you want them to and that (2) the better-known
        someone is by Name A, the longer it takes for them to switch to Name B.
        Someone brand-new to the S.C.A. who hasn't even had time to research a
        name yet can probably change her name in about a week. It took our
        Minister of A&S, who'd been using the same name for over 15 years and
        is one of the best-known artisans in our area, about six months to get
        everybody to start calling her by the new one. It took our Hospitaler,
        who'd been around for a couple of years and a very visible part of our
        barony, maybe two. I don't know how long it took the inimitable
        Tangwystyl
        <http://www.heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html>,
        but I've never heard anyone call her anything else, or seen her older
        name anywhere other than in her article on the subject.

        In any event, it's what people CALL you that lingers, not what you
        register. Changing what you've registered always and only takes
        exactly as long as the paperwork does. So even if the "it's so hard to
        change it" argument were valid, it would be an argument against
        choosing a name at all, not registering one. And since it takes just
        as long to get it into everybody's head that the name they've been
        using is your real-life name and now you want them to call you
        something else as it does to get it into their heads that the name
        they've been using was your "'til I decide" name and now you want them
        to call you something else, you don't gain anything by not choosing a
        good medieval name to use. (They're not going to call you "Hey, you!"
        indefinitely.)

        I wrote:
        > There are people who make "don't lock yourself into anything" a mantra
        > for newcomers. Well, let me add another. Don't close any doors in
        > your own face.

        Ian answered:
        > And the whole registering/not registering your name can do both at the
        > same time. If you register you name you close all sorts of doors,
        > which can be a very good thing, or a bad thing, so wait a while, try
        > it on and RESEARCH names for something you might like.

        I don't recommend you register a name you're not sure you want to keep,
        either, but only because it takes about a year for the paperwork to
        process and if you decide you want a different one half way through
        you've wasted everybody's time and effort. Registering a name doesn't
        make anything happen that you can't make un-happen just by releasing
        it. It doesn't lock you into anything.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 30 , May 8, 2008
          This "don't lock yourself in" mentality drives me NUTS! I have been
          researching my name since BEFORE I was in the SCA. I had not done serious
          research then, but asked questions to people who might know, and now have
          dug much deeper. I still need to register my name, but, I have all the
          research done now, and got only a small amount of help with it (I needed the
          Drachenwald herald for a bit!) I actually probably could have used what I
          had but I wanted to see primary documentation...I'm picky sometimes!

          Now, I have been in the SCA for ... 5 months. I think it's time.

          Begging to differ,

          (not telling my name; you can't have it)

        • Kristine Elliott
          Message 4 of 30 , May 8, 2008
            On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            <Coblaith@...> wrote:
            > Ian wrote:
            >> Just don't register you name in the first year of your SCA life
            >> because "the Society never forgets" and people will continue to call
            >> you by that name for a very long time.
            >
            > You know, I hear that noised about a lot. But my observation has been
            > that (1) most people are willing to make an effort to switch over to a
            > new name if they know you want them to and that (2) the better-known
            > someone is by Name A, the longer it takes for them to switch to Name B.

            I've changed my name 2 times (well, actually just a bit more.)
            Roughly, I went from Triste (completely undocumentable) to Cateline to
            Scolastica. The first big change was from something unregisterable to
            something registerable. The second change was from something I knew I
            was mispronouncing and had grown to dislike to something documentable
            to my time and place AND that I had loved when I ran across it 25
            years before. (Then it didn't fit my persona.)

            I find the important thing with a name change is to announce it
            publicly, explain why and ask people to help by using your new name.
            Those that respect your wishes will. Those that refuse to even try –
            are they really worth retaining as friends? That's my attitude. I
            figure that calling someone by the name they want to be called is a
            real basic level of respect that is reasonable to give to any human
            being.

            Scolastica
            --
            http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

            If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
            'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz