A tunic is a tunic?

  • rynka2187
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      Do we have any tunic experts online right now? I'm wondering if I can
      turn my generic medieval garb into a somewhat more accurate Saxon
      impression. My husband and I in recent years have put together a few
      complete outfits for several different periods as we try to find a
      favorite, and as of late my husband's favorite thing to wear is loose
      trousers with his belt on the outside of his shirt.

      So, since we already have some generic medieval garb that's linen and
      well-made (Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing's short and
      medium-length tunics and I have a couple of plain kirtles and one that
      laces up the back), can we use these? I believe these items are mostly
      correct for 12th-13th century, but they are so generic I'm wondering
      if they could look 10th and 11th century as well, with the right
      changes and accessories. His tunics should be worn with chausses to be
      properly 12th-13th (though the best I have been able to do in the last
      two years is get him into very tight pants) and my gowns are usually
      worn as is for this period with a veil.

      But ... if he wore the tunics with loose trousers instead of chausses
      and added the proper Saxon leg wraps, and I added a tunic to be belted
      over my kirtle, would that work? Or is the cut and construction of the
      later tunics and kirtles that much different from the earlier ones?

      Any advice or suggestions are most welcome!
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2008
        On May 1, rynka2187 wrote:
        > I'm wondering if I can turn my generic medieval garb into a somewhat
        > more accurate Saxon impression.

        > 10th and 11th century

        You mentioned from when, but from *where* do you want the clothing in
        question to come? The Saxons lived over a fairly broad region
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxons>. In your period of interest, the
        continental Saxons were in the middle of the Ottonian Renaissance and
        at the heart of what would later be called the Holy Roman Empire.
        England's Saxons had more-or-less completely merged with the Angles.
        I'm not sure how much the continental groups' increased interaction
        with the east affected their clothing or how much clothing in Great
        Britain differed from what was going on in mainland Europe, but
        depending on where you set your outfit, one or the other will probably
        have an impact.

        > . . .we already have . . .Historic Enterprises and Revival Clothing's
        > short and medium-length tunics and I have a couple of plain kirtles
        > and one that laces up the back. . .

        > . . .if he wore the tunics with loose trousers instead of chausses and
        > added the proper Saxon leg wraps, and I added a tunic to be belted
        > over my kirtle, would that work? Or is the cut and construction of the
        > later tunics and kirtles that much different from the earlier ones?

        If the Historic Enterprises tunic to which you refer is one of these
        <http://historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=125&c=153>,
        its cut is partly based on two 11th-century garments, so it should work
        well for that period. If your plain kirtles are from Historic
        Enterprises, too, the same goes for them
        <http://historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=594&c=153>.

        I'd say you could reasonably easily go Anglo-Saxon, at least, with what
        you've got. (I don't know anything about continental Saxon clothing at
        this period.) The Regia Anglorum clothing guide
        <http://www.regia.me.uk/members/basclot.htm> should help you identify
        details you'll want to incorporate. For a strong Anglo-Saxon
        impression, you'll probably want to replace your High Middle Ages veil
        with a headrail. Historic Enterprises sells them in white
        <http://historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=577&c=152>
        and colors
        <http://historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=604&c=152>,
        with bands and pins included. The Regia site shows different ways to
        wear them.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra