Re: [SCA Newcomers] Calling all SCA official and unofficial members!

  • Cailin Mac Kinnach
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
      I'm a card carrying member, and I've been trying to punch through a wall of
      resistance that life has put up for a couple of years now. I think I've
      finally gotten there. I can't say I dedicate my whole life to it, but it
      does get a significant portion of my free time.

      For me, the SCA fills a need for a positive activity in life. I thrive on
      competition, and I find that in the heavy fighting lists. I love the
      concept and idea of Chivalry, and find a great opportunity to learn and live
      those ideals in the setting in which they were first really practiced. It
      also represents an opportunity to accomplish something meaningful.

      On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM, <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 4/30/2008 5:23:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > bandgeek4708@... <bandgeek4708%40yahoo.com> writes:
      >
      > <<I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
      > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
      > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it? >>
      >
      > Well, I have not dedicated "practically my whole life" to it; in fact, the
      >
      > SCA is a relatively minor portion of my life in terms of time spent. Other
      >
      > than some garb sewing, a monthly craft night and a monthly meeting, I go
      > maybe 6 or 7 events a year.
      > On the other hand, I've been playing this game for 18 years. The better
      > question for me is "what is so appealing that I have stayed so long?".
      > There
      > are a couple of answers. The first is that I've been fascinated with the
      > personal lives of people in the Middle Ages for many years, and in the SCA
      > I have
      > a chance to actually use what I learn, and often learn more from using it.
      >
      > The other answer is that the SCA is where I have found my closest friends,
      >
      > especially those who share my interests and understand why I find them
      > fascinating. In the "real" world, my interests are considered odd at best.
      >

      > Brangwayna Morgan
      > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
      > Lancaster, PA
      >
      > **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used
      > car
      > listings at AOL Autos.
      > (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)

    • Pardus
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2008
        1. Excercise that is (to me) more fun than other sports.
        2. Fight training is FREE. As opposed to Karate classes, etc.
        3. Kindred spirits, doing what you love, loving what you do.
        4. Being inspired to be a better person because of the society.
        This, in no particular order.

        - Pardus.

        bandgeek4708 wrote:

        > Hello! I am currently in a college writing class and am doing a
        > research paper on subcultures. I chose to research the SCA because I
        > know how much some members are completely consumed by it. I have
        > friends who are official and unofficial members, but I still don't
        > know that much about it.
        > I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
        > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
        > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it?
        > I am genuinely interested in the answer so please reply! I would love
        > to talk to somebody!

      • edorsey101
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2008
          It's a way to escape the negativity that sometimes the "normal" drone
          of society can offer. You have to be this or that to fit into
          what "normal" people believe to be best. But in the SCA, you can
          escape to a whole new life that you created and be anyone you want to
          be. You can practice new talents that are lost on a modern society,
          whether you are good, great or horrible. People in the SCA accept you
          for who you are outside of it and in. They are just a friendly sort
          of people, kinda like a family who's different from the "norm" but you
          still love 'em anyways.

          It's also a way to relive the good parts of an interesting time period
          without the negatives: plague, sexism, true war, poverty.

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "bandgeek4708" <bandgeek4708@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello! I am currently in a college writing class and am doing a
          > research paper on subcultures. I chose to research the SCA because I
          > know how much some members are completely consumed by it. I have
          > friends who are official and unofficial members, but I still don't
          > know that much about it.
          > I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
          > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
          > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it?
          > I am genuinely interested in the answer so please reply! I would love
          > to talk to somebody!

        • Oakes, George
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2008
            Well put! Truer words could not be written!
            This is perhaps the exact reason I am a member and why I enjoy the sca.

            I have learned leatherworking, chainmail, and have picked back up my favorite sport of archery which I had put down some 20 years ago. I am now learning bow making(bowyer) and arrow making(fletcher). My wife has had fun painting pottery now she is considering illumination.

            Peace all
            Gavin
            Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> , "bandgeek4708" <bandgeek4708@...>