Calling all SCA official and unofficial members!

  • bandgeek4708
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
      Hello! I am currently in a college writing class and am doing a
      research paper on subcultures. I chose to research the SCA because I
      know how much some members are completely consumed by it. I have
      friends who are official and unofficial members, but I still don't
      know that much about it.
      I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
      Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
      will dedicate practically their whole lives to it?
      I am genuinely interested in the answer so please reply! I would love
      to talk to somebody!
    • Dmitrii
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
        I cant speak for everyone but me and my family it gives us a perfect place
        for family time, teach my kids good values such as the 8 knightly virtues, a
        great stress reliever in heavy weapons and combat archery, plus we love
        learning new things and skills. Plus we love the people and they become like
        a large extended family. That's my view in a very short summary.

        Dmitrii

        "Fight with HONOR, Die with HONOR!"

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
          This is off the top of my head. I have been a participant in SCA
          activities for 25 years. Most of those years I have been a
          card-carrying member.

          For me, there are a host of reasons. Of course, an interest in the
          Middle Ages is important. Then, there are the people – of course,
          there are exceptions, but it is probably the presifting that
          participation in the SCA gives – people tend to be very tolerant of
          one another, helpful, well-read, interested in thing besides loud
          music and getting drunk, ready to try new things, and learn new
          things. That tends to mean that they are interesting people to have as
          friends. (Of course, I have friends outside the Society as well.) And
          really, that culture of learning new things and sharing that knowledge
          with others is very inspiring. I like learning new things. And talking
          about very obscure subjects. I can easily find people in the SCA that
          share my interests, particularly since the internet became so big.

          Scolastica

          --
          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

          If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
          'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
            In a message dated 4/30/2008 5:23:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            bandgeek4708@... writes:

            <<I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
            Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
            will dedicate practically their whole lives to it? >>

            Well, I have not dedicated "practically my whole life" to it; in fact, the
            SCA is a relatively minor portion of my life in terms of time spent. Other
            than some garb sewing, a monthly craft night and a monthly meeting, I go to
            maybe 6 or 7 events a year.
            On the other hand, I've been playing this game for 18 years. The better
            question for me is "what is so appealing that I have stayed so long?". There
            are a couple of answers. The first is that I've been fascinated with the
            personal lives of people in the Middle Ages for many years, and in the SCA I have
            a chance to actually use what I learn, and often learn more from using it.
            The other answer is that the SCA is where I have found my closest friends,
            especially those who share my interests and understand why I find them
            fascinating. In the "real" world, my interests are considered odd at best.

            Lancaster, PA

            listings at AOL Autos.

          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
              I'm a card carrying member, and I've been trying to punch through a wall of
              resistance that life has put up for a couple of years now. I think I've
              finally gotten there. I can't say I dedicate my whole life to it, but it
              does get a significant portion of my free time.

              For me, the SCA fills a need for a positive activity in life. I thrive on
              competition, and I find that in the heavy fighting lists. I love the
              concept and idea of Chivalry, and find a great opportunity to learn and live
              those ideals in the setting in which they were first really practiced. It
              also represents an opportunity to accomplish something meaningful.

              On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:56 PM, <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:

              > In a message dated 4/30/2008 5:23:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > bandgeek4708@... <bandgeek4708%40yahoo.com> writes:
              >
              > <<I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
              > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
              > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it? >>
              >
              > Well, I have not dedicated "practically my whole life" to it; in fact, the
              >
              > SCA is a relatively minor portion of my life in terms of time spent. Other
              >
              > than some garb sewing, a monthly craft night and a monthly meeting, I go
              > maybe 6 or 7 events a year.
              > On the other hand, I've been playing this game for 18 years. The better
              > question for me is "what is so appealing that I have stayed so long?".
              > There
              > are a couple of answers. The first is that I've been fascinated with the
              > personal lives of people in the Middle Ages for many years, and in the SCA
              > I have
              > a chance to actually use what I learn, and often learn more from using it.
              >
              > The other answer is that the SCA is where I have found my closest friends,
              >
              > especially those who share my interests and understand why I find them
              > fascinating. In the "real" world, my interests are considered odd at best.
              >

              > Brangwayna Morgan
              > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
              > Lancaster, PA
              >
              > **************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used
              > car
              > listings at AOL Autos.
              > (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)

            • Pardus
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2008
                1. Excercise that is (to me) more fun than other sports.
                2. Fight training is FREE. As opposed to Karate classes, etc.
                3. Kindred spirits, doing what you love, loving what you do.
                4. Being inspired to be a better person because of the society.
                This, in no particular order.

                - Pardus.

                bandgeek4708 wrote:

                > Hello! I am currently in a college writing class and am doing a
                > research paper on subcultures. I chose to research the SCA because I
                > know how much some members are completely consumed by it. I have
                > friends who are official and unofficial members, but I still don't
                > know that much about it.
                > I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
                > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
                > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it?
                > I am genuinely interested in the answer so please reply! I would love
                > to talk to somebody!

              • edorsey101
                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2008
                  It's a way to escape the negativity that sometimes the "normal" drone
                  of society can offer. You have to be this or that to fit into
                  what "normal" people believe to be best. But in the SCA, you can
                  escape to a whole new life that you created and be anyone you want to
                  be. You can practice new talents that are lost on a modern society,
                  whether you are good, great or horrible. People in the SCA accept you
                  for who you are outside of it and in. They are just a friendly sort
                  of people, kinda like a family who's different from the "norm" but you
                  still love 'em anyways.

                  It's also a way to relive the good parts of an interesting time period
                  without the negatives: plague, sexism, true war, poverty.

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "bandgeek4708" <bandgeek4708@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello! I am currently in a college writing class and am doing a
                  > research paper on subcultures. I chose to research the SCA because I
                  > know how much some members are completely consumed by it. I have
                  > friends who are official and unofficial members, but I still don't
                  > know that much about it.
                  > I guess my question for this discussion is this: What is it about the
                  > Society for Creative Anachronism that is so appealing that members
                  > will dedicate practically their whole lives to it?
                  > I am genuinely interested in the answer so please reply! I would love
                  > to talk to somebody!

                • Oakes, George
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2008
                    Well put! Truer words could not be written!
                    This is perhaps the exact reason I am a member and why I enjoy the sca.

                    I have learned leatherworking, chainmail, and have picked back up my favorite sport of archery which I had put down some 20 years ago. I am now learning bow making(bowyer) and arrow making(fletcher). My wife has had fun painting pottery now she is considering illumination.

                    Peace all
                    Gavin
                    Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> , "bandgeek4708" <bandgeek4708@...>