Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb & Persona Question

  • Jibra'il `Attar
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
      Heather:
      > The problem is my bodice, it buttons up the front with nice metal buttons. It looks more
      > American colonial than SCA period.
      > Am I better off going with something from the Golden Key? I dread the idea
      > of having it pointed out several times that it is not period...

      I can think of 2 options right off the top of my head:
      1) Go ahead and wear your bodice as is. Remember, it's the attempt
      that counts...especially as a newcomer.
      2) If you have the time and energy, and don't mind altering your
      bodice, you can replace the buttons with eyelets (grommets) and use
      ribbon as closure. Many sewing and craft stores have grommets that can
      be hammered into place pretty easily.

      Heather:
      > Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I would
      > greatly appreciate it. I am almost certain I would like to go with a late
      > period Venetian Courtesan persona. Another alternative is a Portuguese Jew
      > fleeing to the Ottoman empire at the beginning of the Inquisition.

      Here are a few name resources to get you started along the way:

      Italian:
      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#italy
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml

      Portuguese:
      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#spain
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/iberian.shtml

      Turkish:
      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#islam
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/islamic.shtml

      Jewish:
      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#jewish
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/jewish.shtml

      My suggestion about names is to "test-drive" them before you commit to
      one. Make a list of names you like and run them past your friends to
      see a) if they can pronounce the name, b) if they are able to refer to
      you by that name, and c) if you will respond to the them if they say
      it. Don't be afraid of test driving several names before settling down
      on one either; sometimes you'll find a couple names that work for you.
      In those cases, you can set one aside for an alternate persona to play
      with later. ;)

      Until the next time,
      Ld. Jibra'il `Attar
      Shire of Deodar
      Kingdom of Calontir
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
        Heather wrote:
        > . . .if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I
        > would greatly appreciate it.  I am almost certain I would like to go
        > with a late period Venetian Courtesan persona.. . .

        The Medieval Names Archive guide to Italian names
        <http://s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml> would be a good place to
        start. Look under "Northern Italian Names" for Venice.

        If you're looking for other persona stuff, you might be interested in
        the Renaissance Italy site <http://renaissanceitaly.net/>. The focus
        is on the late-15th and 16th centuries, and the site owner's particular
        area of interest is Venice, so there should be plenty of resources
        there to get you started.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      • Otto von Schwyz
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
          Heather,

          First, welcome to the SCA. Persona and garb is one thing that changes and
          develops over time. Not to worry, my first piece was a highlighter yellow
          T-tunic that I hand stitched and I didn't have a clue as to which end of a
          needle to use. You can imagine what it might have looked like, with jeans
          and tennis shoes. So metal buttons is not bad, it's your first attempt and
          that is all that matters.

          Talk to your Golden Key to see if there is anything that she can do to add
          to your garb or if there is something that you might like better then what
          you have. Most loaner garb is not in the best of shape and you are limited
          to the sizes offered.

          Persona, names; here is a link that might be of some help:
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/iberian.shtml.

          Otto

          "The physicists say that I am a mathematician, and the mathematicians say
          that I am a physicist. I am a completely isolated man and though everybody
          knows me, there are very few people who really know me." ~ Albert Einstein

          3FjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzU1NDg5OTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MjgzBG1zZ0lkAzEyO
          DE0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMDk0NTk3MTk-> Garb & Persona
          Questions

          Posted by: "Angel"
          <mailto:autumnwalk75@...?Subject=%20Re%3AGarb%20%26%20Persona%20Questi
          ons> autumnwalk75@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/autumnwalk75>
          autumnwalk75

          Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:37 am (PDT)

          I have a question on bodices.
          I would like to attend an event this weekend, and I have an outfit that I
          think can pass for garb. I have a chemise and an overdress. The problem is
          my bodice, it buttons up the front with nice metal buttons. It looks more
          American colonial than SCA period.
          Am I better off going with something from the Golden Key? I dread the idea
          of having it pointed out several times that it is not period...
          Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I would
          greatly appreciate it. I am almost certain I would like to go with a late
          period Venetian Courtesan persona. Another alternative is a Portuguese Jew
          fleeing to the Ottoman empire at the beginning of the Inquisition.
          Thank you for any advice,
          Heather
          Barony of Carolingia
          East Kingdom

        • Angel
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
            Thank you Otto, and all others who responded.
            I was able to find a period painting showing a woman with a buttoned bodice!  I will just go with it for now, as you said, it isn't terrible for a first attempt.  At my first Ball, I was able to borrow a beautiful Italian gown, so my standards were set too high, lol.  At least this time I will know the dances.
            I was invited to camp with a house for Pennsic, so I need to really start building a wardrobe!
            One of the links that was send to me had "Clara" as a Portuguese/Jewish name and I think I may try it on for size :)
            Clara?
            Barony of Carolingia
            East Kingdom

            <mailto:autumnwalk75@ yahoo.com?Subject=%20Re% 3AGarb%20% 26%20Persona% 20Questi