Garb & Persona Questions

  • Angel
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
      I have a question on bodices.
      I would like to attend an event this weekend, and I have an outfit that I think can pass for garb.  I have a chemise and an overdress.  The problem is my bodice, it buttons up the front with nice metal buttons.  It looks more American colonial than SCA period.
      Am I better off going with something from the Golden Key?  I dread the idea of having it pointed out several times that it is not period...
      Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I would greatly appreciate it.  I am almost certain I would like to go with a late period Venetian Courtesan persona.  Another alternative is a Portuguese Jew fleeing to the Ottoman empire at the beginning of the Inquisition.
      Thank you for any advice,
      Heather
      Barony of Carolingia
      East Kingdom

    • Jibra'il `Attar
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
        Heather:
        > The problem is my bodice, it buttons up the front with nice metal buttons. It looks more
        > American colonial than SCA period.
        > Am I better off going with something from the Golden Key? I dread the idea
        > of having it pointed out several times that it is not period...

        I can think of 2 options right off the top of my head:
        1) Go ahead and wear your bodice as is. Remember, it's the attempt
        that counts...especially as a newcomer.
        2) If you have the time and energy, and don't mind altering your
        bodice, you can replace the buttons with eyelets (grommets) and use
        ribbon as closure. Many sewing and craft stores have grommets that can
        be hammered into place pretty easily.

        Heather:
        > Also, if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I would
        > greatly appreciate it. I am almost certain I would like to go with a late
        > period Venetian Courtesan persona. Another alternative is a Portuguese Jew
        > fleeing to the Ottoman empire at the beginning of the Inquisition.

        Here are a few name resources to get you started along the way:

        Italian:
        http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#italy
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml

        Portuguese:
        http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#spain
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/iberian.shtml

        Turkish:
        http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#islam
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/islamic.shtml

        Jewish:
        http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#jewish
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/jewish.shtml

        My suggestion about names is to "test-drive" them before you commit to
        one. Make a list of names you like and run them past your friends to
        see a) if they can pronounce the name, b) if they are able to refer to
        you by that name, and c) if you will respond to the them if they say
        it. Don't be afraid of test driving several names before settling down
        on one either; sometimes you'll find a couple names that work for you.
        In those cases, you can set one aside for an alternate persona to play
        with later. ;)

        Until the next time,
        Ld. Jibra'il `Attar
        Shire of Deodar
        Kingdom of Calontir
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2008
          Heather wrote:
          > . . .if anyone is interested in helping me with my name/persona, I
          > would greatly appreciate it.  I am almost certain I would like to go
          > with a late period Venetian Courtesan persona.. . .

          The Medieval Names Archive guide to Italian names
          <http://s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml> would be a good place to
          start. Look under "Northern Italian Names" for Venice.

          If you're looking for other persona stuff, you might be interested in
          the Renaissance Italy site <http://renaissanceitaly.net/>. The focus
          is on the late-15th and 16th centuries, and the site owner's particular
          area of interest is Venice, so there should be plenty of resources
          there to get you started.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        • Otto von Schwyz
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
            Heather,

            First, welcome to the SCA. Persona and garb is one thing that changes and
            develops over time. Not to worry, my first piece was a highlighter yellow
            T-tunic that I hand stitched and I didn't have a clue as to which end of a
            needle to use. You can imagine what it might have looked like, with jeans
            and tennis shoes. So metal buttons is not bad, it's your first attempt and
            that is all that matters.

            Talk to your Golden Key to see if there is anything that she can do to add
            to your garb or if there is something that you might like better then what
            you have. Most loaner garb is not in the best of shape and you are limited
            to the sizes offered.

            Persona, names; here is a link that might be of some help:
            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/iberian.shtml.

            Otto

            "The physicists say that I am a mathematician, and the mathematicians say
            that I am a physicist. I am a completely isolated man and though everybody
            knows me, there are very few people who really know me." ~ Albert Einstein

            3FjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzU1NDg5OTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MjgzBG1zZ0lkAzEyO
            DE0BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMDk0NTk3MTk-> Garb & Persona
            Questions

            Posted by: "Angel"
            <mailto:autumnwalk75@...?Subject=%20Re%3AGarb%20%26%20Persona%20Questi
            ons> autumnwalk75@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/autumnwalk75>
            autumnwalk75

            Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:37 am (PDT)

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
              Thank you Otto, and all others who responded.
              I was able to find a period painting showing a woman with a buttoned bodice!  I will just go with it for now, as you said, it isn't terrible for a first attempt.  At my first Ball, I was able to borrow a beautiful Italian gown, so my standards were set too high, lol.  At least this time I will know the dances.
              I was invited to camp with a house for Pennsic, so I need to really start building a wardrobe!
              One of the links that was send to me had "Clara" as a Portuguese/Jewish name and I think I may try it on for size :)
              Clara?
              Barony of Carolingia
              East Kingdom

              <mailto:autumnwalk75@ yahoo.com?Subject=%20Re% 3AGarb%20% 26%20Persona% 20Questi