Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4 5:25 PM
      I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

    • Briana Delaney
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4 5:40 PM
        Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4 5:41 PM
          In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          briana.delaney@... writes:

          <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

          So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
          variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
          historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
          part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
          I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
          is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
          clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
          Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
          their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Briana Delaney
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4 5:56 PM
            Seriously, what do you think of this:

            http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

            I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
            some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!