Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4 5:01 PM
      In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      briana.delaney@... writes:

      <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

      http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

      I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

      By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
      "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
      than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
      who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
      short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
      is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

      <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
      collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
      with it though...>>

      Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
      significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
      that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
      farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
      as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
      and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
      underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
      regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Briana Delaney
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4 5:25 PM
        I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4 5:40 PM
          Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4 5:41 PM
            In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            briana.delaney@... writes:

            <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

            So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
            variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
            historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
            part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
            I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
            is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
            clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
            Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
            their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4 5:56 PM
              Seriously, what do you think of this:

              http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

              I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
              some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!