! Wow. Have you guys seen these swords?

  • George P. C. M.
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 4, 2008
      http://www.latex-weaponry.com/fd_limited.html

      Safe enough for LARP so should be safe enough for SCA
    • Nicole E. Miller
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 10, 2008
        ---- "George P. C. M." <gcpm@...> wrote:

        =============
        > Therefore all shots we take are assumed to be impacting that armor.
        >The > actual armor people wear varies from fighter to fighter. Like
        >you said, > Plate mail is expensive, so not many wear it. ;)

        I don't understand. My impression is that 100% of sca heavy combat
        fighters wear plate or plastic-plate armor as required by the rules.

        Your impression is inncorrect. Plate, of any material is not required. What is required is some form of protectionfor certain areas. The rest is recommended. You must cover the knees and elbows, head, neck, groin and hands with aprroved materials (metal, plastic or heavy leather...except the head, "Helms shall be constructed from steel which has a thickness of no less than .0625 inch (1/16 inch or 1.6mm), or of equivalent material. Alternative materials, such as stainless steel, brass, bronze, or like materials, are permissible as long as the material is structurally equivalent to 0.0625-inch-thick steel. The mass of the helm is an important part of the protection. As such, no titanium, fiberglass, aluminum, or other ultra-light materials may be used." (From the Society Marshal's Handbook)

        Technically (and I have seen this) as long as you have those rules covered, you could go out on the field wearing nothing else. Stupid, yes, against the rules, no.

        We tend to wear armor that fits our persona's period. I do 13th century Welsh. The only steel I have is helm, and knees. Everything else is leather. No maile and no metal. Under my leather breast plate (which is mostly decorative) I have a light weight lacrosse chest protector. The only "plates" are under my breast plate to protect my ribs on the sides and my kidneys. I pulled them from some old football shoulder pad harnesses.

        Another thing you may have missed. Unlike many of the reinactment groups, every one in the SCA is considered minor nobility/gentry. You have to earn any titles, but nobody comes in as a peseant (unless they choose to). So if you want to wear full (and expensive) plate you are welcome to.

        Also, not every culture wore plate, ever. If your chosen persona would vnever have worn plate or maile, you don't have to (as long as what you do wear meets the minimum safety requirements. And it does not have to be visible, just present.

        I hope this helps you, as well as anyone new to the SCA to understand where we are coming from.

        Lady Sian
        Heavy fighter