Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Cailin Mac Kinnach
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
      I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
      on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

      Ken/Cailin

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
        In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        briana.delaney@... writes:

        <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

        http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

        I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

        By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
        "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
        than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
        who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
        short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
        is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

        <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
        collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
        with it though...>>

        Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
        significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
        that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
        farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
        as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
        and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
        underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
        regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

        Lancaster, PA

      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
          I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

        • Briana Delaney
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
            Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              briana.delaney@... writes:

              <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

              So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
              variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
              historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
              part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
              I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
              is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
              clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
              Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
              their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

              Lancaster, PA

            • Briana Delaney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                Seriously, what do you think of this:

                http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!