Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
      I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
      sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
      for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
      that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
      well... available for purchase... and rent ...

      and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
      so for now, just look at some pictures:

      http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
        I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
        on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

        Ken/Cailin

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
          In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          briana.delaney@... writes:

          <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

          http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

          I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

          By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
          "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
          than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
          who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
          short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
          is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

          <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
          collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
          with it though...>>

          Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
          significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
          that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
          farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
          as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
          and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
          underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
          regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Briana Delaney
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
            I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                briana.delaney@... writes:

                <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                Lancaster, PA

              • Briana Delaney
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Seriously, what do you think of this:

                  http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                  I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                  some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!