Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Cailin Mac Kinnach
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
      Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
      one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
      for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
      really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

      Cailin/Ken

      On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
      wrote:

      > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
      >
      > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
      >
      > I just hop it is authentic enough.
      >
      > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
      > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
      > love
      > with it though...

    • Briana Delaney
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
        I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
        sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
        for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
        that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
        well... available for purchase... and rent ...

        and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
        so for now, just look at some pictures:

        http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

      • Cailin Mac Kinnach
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
          I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
          on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

          Ken/Cailin

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
            In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            briana.delaney@... writes:

            <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

            http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

            I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

            By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
            "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
            than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
            who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
            short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
            is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

            <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
            collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
            with it though...>>

            Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
            significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
            that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
            farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
            as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
            and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
            underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
            regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

            • Briana Delaney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                  In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  briana.delaney@... writes:

                  <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                  So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                  variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                  historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                  part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                  I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                  is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                  clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                  Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                  their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • Briana Delaney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                    Seriously, what do you think of this:

                    http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                    I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                    some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!