Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
      In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

      http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

      I just hop it is authentic enough.

      The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
      collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
      with it though...

    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
        Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
        one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
        for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
        really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

        Cailin/Ken

        On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
        wrote:

        > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
        >
        > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
        >
        > I just hop it is authentic enough.
        >
        > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
        > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
        > love
        > with it though...

      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
          I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
          sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
          for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
          that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
          well... available for purchase... and rent ...

          and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
          so for now, just look at some pictures:

          http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
            I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
            on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

            Ken/Cailin

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              briana.delaney@... writes:

              <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

              http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

              I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

              By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
              "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
              than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
              who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
              short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
              is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

              <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
              collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
              with it though...>>

              Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
              significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
              that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
              farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
              as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
              and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
              underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
              regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

              Lancaster, PA

            • Briana Delaney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

              • Briana Delaney
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                  Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                    In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    briana.delaney@... writes:

                    <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                    So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                    variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                    historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                    part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                    I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                    is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                    clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                    Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                    their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • Briana Delaney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                      Seriously, what do you think of this:

                      http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                      I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                      some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!