Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Bhadra
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
      Ok, that is late period. Let me do a little poking around and see what I can
      find for you.
      Sabina

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
        thanks!

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
          In a message dated 4/3/2008 8:13:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          briana.delaney@... writes:

          <<Does one stay in
          one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?>>

          This is a personal choice. I know a lot of people who go Middle Eastern or
          early greek in hot weather. I prefer to stay with my own period an make
          minimal adaptations as needed.

          <<Which
          fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)>>

          Linen, hands down. Absolutely cooler than cotton or silk, wicks sweat
          better, acts a fantastic air conditioner if wet and a slight breeze kicks up.
          I've also managed to sunburn myself through silk, but never through linen.

          <<Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?>>

          Entirely your choice. A lot of people in the SCA go off the non-authentic
          deep end in hot weather and try to get as close to minimal mundane summer wear
          as they can, it seems. I find I'm actually cooler in garb without the sun
          beating on my exposed skin. I do make a few adaptations. I make both my
          underlayer and outer layer garments of linen, whereas my outer garments in period
          would likely have been either wool or silk. I choose period-appropriate
          headdresses that do not wrap around my neck (no wimples or wrapped headrails,
          just simple veils or turbans) and I make them of white linen. On the absolutely
          hottest, stickiest days, I will dispense with my under layer and just wear
          one layer of linen outer gown (or, alternatively, returning to my camp and
          effectively being in my house, I will take off my outer layer and walk around in
          my chemise and will also take my head covering off).

          Everybody is different in what they can tolerate. My husband can
          comfortably wear a layer of linen and a layer of light wool in 95 degree heat with high
          humidity. I'm usually down to one layer of linen at that point.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Briana Delaney
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
            In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

            http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

            I just hop it is authentic enough.

            The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
            collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
            with it though...

          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
              one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
              for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
              really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

              Cailin/Ken

              On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
              wrote:

              > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
              >
              > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
              >
              > I just hop it is authentic enough.
              >
              > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
              > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
              > love
              > with it though...

            • Briana Delaney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
                sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
                for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
                that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
                well... available for purchase... and rent ...

                and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
                so for now, just look at some pictures:

                http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

              • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                  I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
                  on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

                  Ken/Cailin

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                    In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    briana.delaney@... writes:

                    <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                    http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                    I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

                    By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
                    "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
                    than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
                    who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
                    short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
                    is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

                    <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                    collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                    with it though...>>

                    Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
                    significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
                    that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
                    farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
                    as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
                    and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
                    underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
                    regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • Briana Delaney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                      I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

                    • Briana Delaney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                          In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          briana.delaney@... writes:

                          <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                          So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                          variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                          historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                          part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                          I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                          is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                          clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                          Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                          their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                          Lancaster, PA

                        • Briana Delaney
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                            Seriously, what do you think of this:

                            http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                            I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                            some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!