Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
      REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

    • Bhadra
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
        Ok, that is late period. Let me do a little poking around and see what I can
        find for you.
        Sabina

        REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Bhadra <bhadradharma@...> wrote:

        > How late period? Got any dates?
        >
        > Sabina

      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
          thanks!

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
            In a message dated 4/3/2008 8:13:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            briana.delaney@... writes:

            <<Does one stay in
            one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?>>

            This is a personal choice. I know a lot of people who go Middle Eastern or
            early greek in hot weather. I prefer to stay with my own period an make
            minimal adaptations as needed.

            <<Which
            fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)>>

            Linen, hands down. Absolutely cooler than cotton or silk, wicks sweat
            better, acts a fantastic air conditioner if wet and a slight breeze kicks up.
            I've also managed to sunburn myself through silk, but never through linen.

            <<Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?>>

            Entirely your choice. A lot of people in the SCA go off the non-authentic
            deep end in hot weather and try to get as close to minimal mundane summer wear
            as they can, it seems. I find I'm actually cooler in garb without the sun
            beating on my exposed skin. I do make a few adaptations. I make both my
            underlayer and outer layer garments of linen, whereas my outer garments in period
            would likely have been either wool or silk. I choose period-appropriate
            headdresses that do not wrap around my neck (no wimples or wrapped headrails,
            just simple veils or turbans) and I make them of white linen. On the absolutely
            hottest, stickiest days, I will dispense with my under layer and just wear
            one layer of linen outer gown (or, alternatively, returning to my camp and
            effectively being in my house, I will take off my outer layer and walk around in
            my chemise and will also take my head covering off).

            Everybody is different in what they can tolerate. My husband can
            comfortably wear a layer of linen and a layer of light wool in 95 degree heat with high
            humidity. I'm usually down to one layer of linen at that point.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
              In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

              http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

              I just hop it is authentic enough.

              The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
              collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
              with it though...

            • Cailin Mac Kinnach
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
                one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
                for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
                really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

                Cailin/Ken

                On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
                wrote:

                > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
                >
                > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
                >
                > I just hop it is authentic enough.
                >
                > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
                > love
                > with it though...

              • Briana Delaney
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                  I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
                  sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
                  for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
                  that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
                  well... available for purchase... and rent ...

                  and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
                  so for now, just look at some pictures:

                  http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

                • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                    I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
                    on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

                    Ken/Cailin

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                      In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      briana.delaney@... writes:

                      <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                      http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                      I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

                      By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
                      "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
                      than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
                      who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
                      short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
                      is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

                      <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                      collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                      with it though...>>

                      Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
                      significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
                      that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
                      farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
                      as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
                      and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
                      underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
                      regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Briana Delaney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                        I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

                      • Briana Delaney
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                            In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            briana.delaney@... writes:

                            <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                            So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                            variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                            historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                            part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                            I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                            is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                            clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                            Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                            their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                            Lancaster, PA

                          • Briana Delaney
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                              Seriously, what do you think of this:

                              http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                              I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                              some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!