Re: [SCA Newcomers] Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Sydney Walker Freedman
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
      I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
      unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
      outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
      I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
      absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
      linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
      when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
      add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
      cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
      might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
      garb.

      Pax Christi,
      Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)

      > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
      > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
      > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
      > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
      > in
      > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
      > Which
      > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)
      >
      > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
      >
      > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
      > weather!)
      >
      > Entreating your help,
      > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

      Pax Christi,
      Sydney
    • Briana Delaney
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
        I am a late-period Scandinavian.

        Giertrud

        On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
        > unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
        > outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
        > I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
        > absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
        > linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
        > when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
        > add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
        > cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
        > might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
        > garb.
        >
        > Pax Christi,
        > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)
        >

        > > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
        > > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
        > > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
        > > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
        > > in
        > > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
        > > Which
        > > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want
        > synthetics!)
        > >
        > > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
        > >
        > > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
        > > weather!)
        > >
        > > Entreating your help,
        > > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

        > Pax Christi,
        > Sydney

      • Bhadra
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
          Everything is a matter of choice. Linen is expensive, so is silk, but there
          are places to get bargains. The best thing about linen is that it "wicks"
          moisture away from the body so helps you stay cool. There are cotton/linen
          blends and that would be second best..(Linen is also warm in winter, works
          both ways, as does wool and silk) Silk, being the third choice only because
          it is sooooo expensive.

          No, you don't have to stay in your "primary' period. Experiment, have a
          hoot! If you are new and this is your first garb start simple and especially
          if you aren't an experienced seamstress and don't have one you can
          commission" or barter for garb. We try to be as authentic as possible, but
          adaptations are ok too as long as you aren't too wild with them. You have
          some absolutely genius costumers there in Meridies, get with your
          hospitaller/chatelaine and they will recommend your local garb-a-holic as we
          call ours. He/she can help you and guide and direct you.

          It would be a real good thing for you to shoot Mistress Jennet of Tewkesbury

          a&sminister@...; an email. she is your Kingdom Arts &
          Sciences minister and she will know who can best help you unless you have
          already talked to your local groups A&S minister. Don't be afraid of these
          folks, they are nice (sometimes a little finniky or picky, especially about
          authenticity) but they really do love to help new folks.

          There are a bunch of yahoogroups like the SCA-garb list and the 12th c garb
          list...as well as others for other periods.

          Write me offline and I'll send you links for good places to buy fabric and
          for the list links as well as some period pattern sellers (really good thing
          to invest in, by the way, wish I could have done that, it's my next buy)

          Yes, you do need layers. Every period did layering and it really comes in
          handy when the weather turns cold or you want and need to strip off a layer.

          Since we are here on the newcomer's list and a lot of people are reading
          this who are newcomers I will recommend Fabric-store.com for linen. I just
          ordered a bolt of 20yds of armor weight (also garb weight 3.5oz 100%linen) I
          was very happy with both the price and the delivery as well as the fabric
          which passed a rapier Marshall's punch test. It will wear like iron, soften
          the more you wash it and you can get some great bargains there. Delivery is
          fast too.

          Dharma Trading Company is also good. But sometimes they don't have 100%
          linen. If you can't get the 100% get a linen cotton blend but never EVER
          EVER get a linen poly blend because that WILL be hot! It doesn't breathe as
          well.

          Hope this helps

          Sabina Maria d'Gibelet
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          Barony of Bjornsborg
          fledgling costumer and needleworker
          (see you next year at Gulf Wars)

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
            How late period? Got any dates?

            Sabina

            > I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
            > unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
            > outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
            > I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
            > absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
            > linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
            > when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
            > add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
            > cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
            > might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
            > garb.
            >
            > Pax Christi,
            > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)
            >

            > > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
            > > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
            > > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
            > > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
            > > in
            > > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
            > > Which
            > > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want
            > synthetics!)
            > >
            > > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
            > >
            > > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
            > > weather!)
            > >
            > > Entreating your help,
            > > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

            > Pax Christi,
            > Sydney

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
              REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

            • Bhadra
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                Ok, that is late period. Let me do a little poking around and see what I can
                find for you.
                Sabina

                REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

                On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Bhadra <bhadradharma@...> wrote:

                > How late period? Got any dates?
                >
                > Sabina

              • Briana Delaney
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                  thanks!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                    In a message dated 4/3/2008 8:13:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    briana.delaney@... writes:

                    <<Does one stay in
                    one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?>>

                    This is a personal choice. I know a lot of people who go Middle Eastern or
                    early greek in hot weather. I prefer to stay with my own period an make
                    minimal adaptations as needed.

                    <<Which
                    fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)>>

                    Linen, hands down. Absolutely cooler than cotton or silk, wicks sweat
                    better, acts a fantastic air conditioner if wet and a slight breeze kicks up.
                    I've also managed to sunburn myself through silk, but never through linen.

                    <<Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?>>

                    Entirely your choice. A lot of people in the SCA go off the non-authentic
                    deep end in hot weather and try to get as close to minimal mundane summer wear
                    as they can, it seems. I find I'm actually cooler in garb without the sun
                    beating on my exposed skin. I do make a few adaptations. I make both my
                    underlayer and outer layer garments of linen, whereas my outer garments in period
                    would likely have been either wool or silk. I choose period-appropriate
                    headdresses that do not wrap around my neck (no wimples or wrapped headrails,
                    just simple veils or turbans) and I make them of white linen. On the absolutely
                    hottest, stickiest days, I will dispense with my under layer and just wear
                    one layer of linen outer gown (or, alternatively, returning to my camp and
                    effectively being in my house, I will take off my outer layer and walk around in
                    my chemise and will also take my head covering off).

                    Everybody is different in what they can tolerate. My husband can
                    comfortably wear a layer of linen and a layer of light wool in 95 degree heat with high
                    humidity. I'm usually down to one layer of linen at that point.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • Briana Delaney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                      In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                      http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                      I just hop it is authentic enough.

                      The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                      collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                      with it though...

                    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                        Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
                        one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
                        for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
                        really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

                        Cailin/Ken

                        On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
                        wrote:

                        > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
                        >
                        > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
                        >
                        > I just hop it is authentic enough.
                        >
                        > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                        > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
                        > love
                        > with it though...

                      • Briana Delaney
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                          I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
                          sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
                          for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
                          that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
                          well... available for purchase... and rent ...

                          and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
                          so for now, just look at some pictures:

                          http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

                        • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                            I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
                            on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

                            Ken/Cailin

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                              In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              briana.delaney@... writes:

                              <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                              http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                              I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

                              By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
                              "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
                              than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
                              who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
                              short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
                              is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

                              <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                              collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                              with it though...>>

                              Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
                              significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
                              that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
                              farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
                              as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
                              and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
                              underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
                              regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

                              Lancaster, PA

                            • Briana Delaney
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

                              • Briana Delaney
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                  Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                    In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    briana.delaney@... writes:

                                    <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                                    So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                                    variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                                    historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                                    part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                                    I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                                    is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                                    clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                                    Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                                    their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                                    Lancaster, PA

                                  • Briana Delaney
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                      Seriously, what do you think of this:

                                      http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                                      I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                                      some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!