Silk, linen, cotton? HELP!

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
      Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
      know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
      weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
      answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay in
      one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather? Which
      fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)

      Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?

      (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
      weather!)

      Entreating your help,
      Giertrud Gyldenstierne

    • Sydney Walker Freedman
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
        I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
        unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
        outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
        I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
        absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
        linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
        when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
        add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
        cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
        might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
        garb.

        Pax Christi,
        Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)

        > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
        > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
        > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
        > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
        > in
        > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
        > Which
        > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)
        >
        > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
        >
        > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
        > weather!)
        >
        > Entreating your help,
        > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

        Pax Christi,
        Sydney
      • Briana Delaney
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
          I am a late-period Scandinavian.

          Giertrud

          On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Sydney Walker Freedman <freedmas@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
          > unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
          > outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
          > I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
          > absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
          > linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
          > when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
          > add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
          > cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
          > might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
          > garb.
          >
          > Pax Christi,
          > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)
          >

          > > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
          > > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
          > > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
          > > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
          > > in
          > > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
          > > Which
          > > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want
          > synthetics!)
          > >
          > > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
          > >
          > > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
          > > weather!)
          > >
          > > Entreating your help,
          > > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

          > Pax Christi,
          > Sydney

        • Bhadra
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
            Everything is a matter of choice. Linen is expensive, so is silk, but there
            are places to get bargains. The best thing about linen is that it "wicks"
            moisture away from the body so helps you stay cool. There are cotton/linen
            blends and that would be second best..(Linen is also warm in winter, works
            both ways, as does wool and silk) Silk, being the third choice only because
            it is sooooo expensive.

            No, you don't have to stay in your "primary' period. Experiment, have a
            hoot! If you are new and this is your first garb start simple and especially
            if you aren't an experienced seamstress and don't have one you can
            commission" or barter for garb. We try to be as authentic as possible, but
            adaptations are ok too as long as you aren't too wild with them. You have
            some absolutely genius costumers there in Meridies, get with your
            hospitaller/chatelaine and they will recommend your local garb-a-holic as we
            call ours. He/she can help you and guide and direct you.

            It would be a real good thing for you to shoot Mistress Jennet of Tewkesbury

            a&sminister@...; an email. she is your Kingdom Arts &
            Sciences minister and she will know who can best help you unless you have
            already talked to your local groups A&S minister. Don't be afraid of these
            folks, they are nice (sometimes a little finniky or picky, especially about
            authenticity) but they really do love to help new folks.

            There are a bunch of yahoogroups like the SCA-garb list and the 12th c garb
            list...as well as others for other periods.

            Write me offline and I'll send you links for good places to buy fabric and
            for the list links as well as some period pattern sellers (really good thing
            to invest in, by the way, wish I could have done that, it's my next buy)

            Yes, you do need layers. Every period did layering and it really comes in
            handy when the weather turns cold or you want and need to strip off a layer.

            Since we are here on the newcomer's list and a lot of people are reading
            this who are newcomers I will recommend Fabric-store.com for linen. I just
            ordered a bolt of 20yds of armor weight (also garb weight 3.5oz 100%linen) I
            was very happy with both the price and the delivery as well as the fabric
            which passed a rapier Marshall's punch test. It will wear like iron, soften
            the more you wash it and you can get some great bargains there. Delivery is
            fast too.

            Dharma Trading Company is also good. But sometimes they don't have 100%
            linen. If you can't get the 100% get a linen cotton blend but never EVER
            EVER get a linen poly blend because that WILL be hot! It doesn't breathe as
            well.

            Hope this helps

            Sabina Maria d'Gibelet
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            Barony of Bjornsborg
            fledgling costumer and needleworker
            (see you next year at Gulf Wars)

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
              How late period? Got any dates?

              Sabina

              > I'm originally from Atenveldt, i.e. Scottsdale, AZ, where it gets
              > unbearably hot, (I've moved to cold Northshield :) ), and if you'll be
              > outside and tend to perspire a lot (you wouldn't want to ruin nice silk),
              > I'd say linen is the best choice. I find it cooler than cotton, and it
              > absorbs moisture extremely well. You may be able to even wear silk over a
              > linen underlayer, say, a bliaut over a linen chemise. I stay in period
              > when it's hot, but my persona's clothing works in warm weather. I have to
              > add warm cloaks and mantles for the winter, so I almost adapt for the
              > cold, not the heat. :) From what time period is your persona? People
              > might have ideas on how to deal with weather for your particular type of
              > garb.
              >
              > Pax Christi,
              > Lady Cecilia de Cambrige (who has lurked for awhile)
              >

              > > Those of you who live in or have been to Louisiana when summertime comes
              > > know it can get very warm. I need to make myself some garb for warm
              > > weather. I only have until the end of the month so I need my questions
              > > answered ASAP. I want to weigh in on different positions. Does one stay
              > > in
              > > one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?
              > > Which
              > > fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want
              > synthetics!)
              > >
              > > Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?
              > >
              > > (e.g.-sometimes there are layers; I really don't need layers in our
              > > weather!)
              > >
              > > Entreating your help,
              > > Giertrud Gyldenstierne

              > Pax Christi,
              > Sydney

            • Briana Delaney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

              • Bhadra
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Ok, that is late period. Let me do a little poking around and see what I can
                  find for you.
                  Sabina

                  REformation-era, which for Scandinavia is about 1536.

                  On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Bhadra <bhadradharma@...> wrote:

                  > How late period? Got any dates?
                  >
                  > Sabina

                • Briana Delaney
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                    thanks!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 3, 2008
                      In a message dated 4/3/2008 8:13:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      briana.delaney@... writes:

                      <<Does one stay in
                      one's own period, no matter what, or is it dependent on the weather?>>

                      This is a personal choice. I know a lot of people who go Middle Eastern or
                      early greek in hot weather. I prefer to stay with my own period an make
                      minimal adaptations as needed.

                      <<Which
                      fabric is best: silk, cotton, linen? (obviously wouldn't want synthetics!)>>

                      Linen, hands down. Absolutely cooler than cotton or silk, wicks sweat
                      better, acts a fantastic air conditioner if wet and a slight breeze kicks up.
                      I've also managed to sunburn myself through silk, but never through linen.

                      <<Do I stay as authentic as possible, or make adaptations?>>

                      Entirely your choice. A lot of people in the SCA go off the non-authentic
                      deep end in hot weather and try to get as close to minimal mundane summer wear
                      as they can, it seems. I find I'm actually cooler in garb without the sun
                      beating on my exposed skin. I do make a few adaptations. I make both my
                      underlayer and outer layer garments of linen, whereas my outer garments in period
                      would likely have been either wool or silk. I choose period-appropriate
                      headdresses that do not wrap around my neck (no wimples or wrapped headrails,
                      just simple veils or turbans) and I make them of white linen. On the absolutely
                      hottest, stickiest days, I will dispense with my under layer and just wear
                      one layer of linen outer gown (or, alternatively, returning to my camp and
                      effectively being in my house, I will take off my outer layer and walk around in
                      my chemise and will also take my head covering off).

                      Everybody is different in what they can tolerate. My husband can
                      comfortably wear a layer of linen and a layer of light wool in 95 degree heat with high
                      humidity. I'm usually down to one layer of linen at that point.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Briana Delaney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                        In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                        http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                        I just hop it is authentic enough.

                        The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                        collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                        with it though...

                      • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Can you read the danish? Is that and advertisement for a dress that's made,
                          one that they made, or is there a pattern available? I'd love to make that
                          for my wife... It would suit her well. And she's not involved enough to
                          really care about authenticity. She emboidies the 10 ft. rule.

                          Cailin/Ken

                          On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Briana Delaney <briana.delaney@...>
                          wrote:

                          > In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:
                          >
                          > http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/
                          >
                          > I just hop it is authentic enough.
                          >
                          > The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                          > collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in
                          > love
                          > with it though...

                        • Briana Delaney
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                            I can read the Danish, no problem. Although there are some patterns for
                            sale on the site, I do not think they deliver to the US (which is too bad,
                            for both us and them...patterns for us and business for them!), nor does
                            that actually seem to be one available for sale... They do have them made as
                            well... available for purchase... and rent ...

                            and um ... it would be too much to go over what everything says here...
                            so for now, just look at some pictures:

                            http://www.historicum.eu/group.asp?group=1&sub=1

                          • Cailin Mac Kinnach
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                              I see... so, do you have the sewing zen, and can just make the dress based
                              on what you can see? If so, I'm incredibly jealous.

                              Ken/Cailin

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:09:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                briana.delaney@... writes:

                                <<In truth, I was hoping to make something similar to this:

                                http://www.historicum.dk/historiske_dragter/renaessance/R0313/

                                I just hop it is authentic enough.>>

                                By SCA rules, it is definitely authentic enough, as all SCA rules require is
                                "an attempt at clothing from before 1600". It is certainly that, and better
                                than what some people wear for their entire SCA careers, like one guy I know
                                who wears spandex dance tights with a triangular codpiece attached, very
                                short (like short T-shirt length) polycotton tunics, and sneakers. The question
                                is, is it authentic enough to satisfy you?

                                <<The slogan is "Where history is now" and this is in their renaissance
                                collection, though it is labeled as a children's style. I've fallen in love
                                with it though...>>

                                Admittedly, I have no idea if Scandinavian fashion from the 1500s differs
                                significantly from English. But my thought on comparing to English clothing is
                                that to make it look more accurate, it needs a farthingale or a bigger
                                farthingale (the supportive underskirt that holds the skirt out, often referred to
                                as a "hoop skirt"; Renaissance ones are conical rather than bell-shaped),
                                and the overskirt would need to come much further forward, so that the
                                underskirt would only be seen in small wedge in the front. But these could be
                                regional fashion varieties that I'm not aware of.

                                Lancaster, PA

                              • Briana Delaney
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                  I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.

                                • Briana Delaney
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                    Also, would silk eventually be good for court garb?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                      In a message dated 4/4/2008 8:26:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      briana.delaney@... writes:

                                      <<I have heard that further North was generally a bit more conservative.>>

                                      So have I, but this just strikes me not as an older style, but as a
                                      variation on what I know of about the style of that time, and I don't know if it is a
                                      historically accurate variation or a misunderstanding of the style on the
                                      part of the maker. I looked at a few of their other garments from time periods
                                      I am more familiar with, and the few photos I saw looked pretty good, which
                                      is a point in their favor, but I have also seen folks who sell very accurate
                                      clothing for one period and very inaccurate clothing for another. Revival
                                      Clothing comes to mind; their 14th century stuff is pretty good, I believe, but
                                      their interpretation of women's 12th century clothing is very outdated.

                                      Lancaster, PA

                                    • Briana Delaney
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 4, 2008
                                        Seriously, what do you think of this:

                                        http://www.plumridge.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000C9C-1196356689

                                        I'll be able to afford better stuff sometimes, and getting some linen and
                                        some silk would be a very nice prospect indeed!