RE: [SCA Newcomers] My Rant + My Suggestion: SCA heavy combat lacks any authenticity

  • Chris Chastain
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 30 8:44 PM
      The wrist snap is a skill that has to be developed with the muscles in the
      wrist. Has nothing to do with how big and strong you are unless you spend
      hours a day doing nothing but wrist snaps. (I know knights who do hundreds
      of shots on a pell training up for crown lyst) My sword is 33 inches long,
      just under 3 feet but most of the weight is in my metal basket hilt. Rattan
      alone is light it's all the other stuff you put on it that brings the
      weight. I shave the rattan to get the outer layer of skin off then I wrap it
      in packing tape, (the tape that has the strings inside of it for added
      strength) for about two layers all over the stick, then I put on the
      thrusting tip with its required taping. Then I duct tape the whole thing
      from one end to the other. Once that's done I put red Duct tape over the
      thrusting tip area of the sword so it can be identified and then run red
      electrical tape as the "cutting edge" of the blade. I put my basket hilt on
      using screw down clamps on both ends and electrical tape those. I also use
      tennis racket hand grip tape on the rattan inside the basket so I have a
      better grip with a leather trigger. I also put in a leather lanyard so my
      sword doesn't fly away should I lose it. By the time that's done id
      guesstimate I'm over 5 or 6lbs. I don't have a scale at the moment or I'd be
      more precise. I've been told I go heavy on the tape but I hate shattering a
      sword, it's a pain to switch out in time to continue and usually the fight
      is over before your done.

      Dmitrii

      _____

      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Tuesday 01 April 2008 08:33:08 Eric Dickey wrote:
        > It has been asked that this thread die on this email list and although I am
        > enjoying reading this, I agree it is time to let it go off of this list.
        > Please continue to discuss this here:
        >
        > http://groups.google.com/group/sca-authentic-fighting-discussion-group

        Thank you, Lord Dietrich

        I encourage anyone who wishes to discuss this topic further to move to
        the new list. You are of course welcome to remain on *this* list as well,
        to discuss issues of specific interest to SCA newcomers. It's the topic
        that needs to migrate elsewhere, not the people. :-)

        Kind regards,

        Justin
        List Moderator

        keys fesswise reversed sable.