Re: [SCA Newcomers] My Rant + My Suggestion: SCA heavy combat lacks any authenticity

  • George C. P. M.
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 30, 2008
      If your sca rattan sword is under 3ft long yet weighs as much as a
      3ft long 2x4 piece of lumber(3 pounds) then your weapon is a rarity.
      I'm strong and I can't wrist snap a 3ft section of 2x4 half as fast
      as the guys I see the guys swinging in sca tournaments.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Chastain"
      <ckchastain@...> wrote:

      > My sword is under 3ft and weighs more than three pounds after I've
      added all
      > the tape, thrusting tip and basket hilt! As a matter of fact I
      collect
      > swords and my rattan sword is heavier than a lot of them up until I
      get to a
      > one and a half hand blade. My basket hilt is not considered heavy
      either.
      > I've seen some that the basket alone was over 3lbs. Now there are
      some folks
      > who don't use basket hilts and just use a crossbar which is made of
      various
      > materials and can make the weapon "light". I don't personally agree
      with
      > this even if wearing a full gauntlet, seen too many gauntlets get
      shattered
      > from hard hits. (rivets can only take so much abuse) I personally
      feel the
      > cross guard should be one of the metal variety which can be
      purchased from
      > various vendors and are safer than a foamy cross guard.

      >I have one question
      > for you, have you handled some rattan weapons? From what you've
      said it > sounded like you saw the weapons from video's. Don't under
      >estimate the > rattan, it looks light and can be easily taken as
      >such.

      No, I have not handled an sca rattan sword. After watching the
      filipino stick fighting err, I mean heavy sca combat videos...I'm
      sort of turned off to participating. But, I might consruct "swords"
      as I think they should be and take them to my local sca group's
      practice to test and film.

      >Also there is a> medieval reenactors group in Russia that does
      >exactly what your suggesting,> every battle they send folks to the
      >hospital with broken fingers, arms, legs> and worst of all broken
      >backs.

      Please stop suggesting my weapon idea is somehow more lethal than a
      rattan stick which can easily kill someone in a single full force
      blow. I'm talking about hollow, flexible pvc wrapped in bed sheet.

      >Your also on a
      > track that has been spoken of for years on rattan and has caused
      other
      > groups to fracture off of the SCA into boffer weapons and the like.
      It comes
      > down to preference really. If you haven't had the opportunity to
      try our
      > weapons go down to your friendly neighborhood fighter practice and
      try one.
      > But so you see where im coming from, I agree some swords do appear
      light and
      > some may be light but in general most are over 3 lbs and depending
      on
      > persona's culture and or personal preference usually over 3ft,
      though there
      > are exceptions.

      Strange that the sca doesn't specify minimum weight eh? None of the 1-
      h swords I saw in the one vs one videos were 3 pounds. Impossible.
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Tuesday 01 April 2008 08:33:08 Eric Dickey wrote:
        > It has been asked that this thread die on this email list and although I am
        > enjoying reading this, I agree it is time to let it go off of this list.
        > Please continue to discuss this here:
        >
        > http://groups.google.com/group/sca-authentic-fighting-discussion-group

        Thank you, Lord Dietrich

        I encourage anyone who wishes to discuss this topic further to move to
        the new list. You are of course welcome to remain on *this* list as well,
        to discuss issues of specific interest to SCA newcomers. It's the topic
        that needs to migrate elsewhere, not the people. :-)

        Kind regards,

        Justin
        List Moderator

        keys fesswise reversed sable.