My Rant + My Suggestion: SCA heavy combat lacks any authenticity

  • George C. P. M.
    Message 1 of 46 , Mar 29, 2008
      I'm just putting forth my observations as an outsider.
      I'm not trolling and to prove it I've even come up with a solution to
      what I perceive as a grossly unauthentic aspect of SCA heavy combat.

      Purpose:
      1. Increase authenticity of heavy sword combat
      2. Decrease injury potential of sca weapons
      3. Thereby broaden the appeal to others (I knows lots of people who
      shun the sca solely because of the combat rules)
      4. Thereby increase fun

      Authenticity:
      Simply put,

      Any steel sword light enough or short enough (gladius) to wrist snap
      as quickly as an sca rattan sword isn't going to bypass plate armor
      and certainly isn't going to slash/bludgeon with lethal force.

      Any steel sword that can slash/bludgeon plate armor hard enough to
      cause trauma is going to weigh far too much to wrist snap like an sca
      sword. http://www.oakeshott.org/swdlect04.html

      This is closer to perfect authenticity, but they are holding back a
      LOT and it's obviously WAY too dangerous. However, make note how
      different it looks from sca combat where the people get close and
      start wrist-snapping like crazy, landing 2 blows per second lol.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGv7_6TjuCY

      First, of course, the SCA rules would have to specify a minimum
      weight AND minimum length.
      Since sca swords are used to slash and pierce, I suggest throwing out
      all historical weights for swords designed solely for piercing when
      determining minimum requirements.

      Based on the historical evidence I propose the SCA adopt a nice and
      easy to remember "3 and 3" rule. Where all one handed swords must be
      at least 3 feet long from pommel to point and weigh at least 3
      pounds. A steel sword with these parameters could be used in the
      slashing and piercing manner that sca attempts to emulate.

      Now to the solution.

      How do you make an SCA one hand sword weigh 3 pounds without turning
      social events into bloodbaths?

      Cotton fabric.

      During my youth I played "fake swords and shields." We used the
      wooden handles of toilet plungers and then wrapped a bed sheet around
      them. The weight was perfect, mimicking the pace of true sword
      fighting and the fact that we were kids ages 13y/o (physically weak)
      negated the rigidity of the toilet plunger stick.

      Now, if you take something more flexible, like heavy pvc and wrap a
      cotton sheet around the lethal portion (last 1.5 feet of length) then
      you will have something that is:

      1. Much closer or even perfectly weighted to mimick the movement of
      authentic slashing steel swords
      2. Far less injurious than a rattan stick, but still enough to need
      and enjoy wearing armor.

      I'd be curious to hear what the "leaders" of SCA have to say about
      this idea. I hope this organization isn't plagued by special interest
      lobbyists to keep the rattan wrist-snapping around.
    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Tuesday 01 April 2008 08:33:08 Eric Dickey wrote:
        > It has been asked that this thread die on this email list and although I am
        > enjoying reading this, I agree it is time to let it go off of this list.
        > Please continue to discuss this here:
        >
        > http://groups.google.com/group/sca-authentic-fighting-discussion-group

        Thank you, Lord Dietrich

        I encourage anyone who wishes to discuss this topic further to move to
        the new list. You are of course welcome to remain on *this* list as well,
        to discuss issues of specific interest to SCA newcomers. It's the topic
        that needs to migrate elsewhere, not the people. :-)

        Kind regards,

        Justin
        List Moderator

        keys fesswise reversed sable.