Re: The Don't Speech

  • Otto von Schwyz
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17 4:43 AM
      Easy, grab a herald; sit down and tell them what you want. It doesn't cost
      much to register a name or a device or a badge even. Depending on your
      Kingdom, it will vary just how long it will take for your name to pass
      Laurel. Once it passes, its yours. I had a friend of mine who's name and
      device passed in three months; still the fastest time I have seen anything
      go from a local herald to Laurel. Mine took just over six months.

      Otto

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 18 4:22 PM
        How does one "grab a herald" who will work with them, when there is
        none localy available?

        I have done my research, and documentation for my name is fairly
        simple. What I need help with is the presentation. I used on-line
        resources. My by-name is of the nickname variety so I simply had to
        find the old form of the translation (it was spelled a bit
        differently in old Norse). But....since I didn't use a book I can't
        simply photo copy the page. And the web-page it is on on-line, part
        of a dictionary, I don't know how to print just that one section and
        not the entire 26 page, page. I assume that providing only the web
        link to the page is not sufficient.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Otto von Schwyz"
        <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote:

        > Easy, grab a herald; sit down and tell them what you want. It
        doesn't cost
        > much to register a name or a device or a badge even. Depending on
        your
        > Kingdom, it will vary just how long it will take for your name to
        pass
        > Laurel. Once it passes, its yours. I had a friend of mine who's
        name and
        > device passed in three months; still the fastest time I have seen
        anything
        > go from a local herald to Laurel. Mine took just over six months.
        >

        > Otto

      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 19 7:28 AM
          Quoth "Misi":
          > How does one "grab a herald" who will work with them, when there is
          > none localy available?

          You grab one from the internet! Email me off list, I'll be to help
          you.

          > simply photo copy the page. And the web-page it is on on-line, part
          > of a dictionary, I don't know how to print just that one section and
          > not the entire 26 page, page. I assume that providing only the web
          > link to the page is not sufficient.

          It depends on the webpage. If it is something whose URL begins
          http://www.sca.org/heraldry, then you don't need to provide any print-
          outs: a note on the submissions form giving the author of the page,
          the title of the page, the URL, and a brief summary of what the page
          says about the element in question is sufficient.

          If it's not a sca.org/heraldry webpage, then you're right that you
          only want to include the page with the title/author information, and
          the page with the relevant data. There are two ways you can only
          the relevant information to print. For some browsers, you can figure
          out which page the relevant data is on by using your browser's "print
          preview" function; this will split the webpage into printed pagination,
          and then from the print menu you can say "print pages 1 and 15" or
          something like that. For other browsers (like Firefox), you can high-
          light the relevant text by clicking and dragging with your mouse, and
          then from the print menu print "selection".

          In addition to the printouts, you'll want to include the same information
          on your submissions form as if you weren't including printouts -- title,
          author, summary, etc.

          Hope this helps! If you've got any other questions, you can reach me
          at liana@....

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19 7:30 AM
            Where are you located at? I think a good place to start would be your
            kingdom's website. They often have a herald's sub site, and will have
            contact information for the regional warranted heralds. I'm in a similar
            situation, as I'm 2.5 hours removed from the center of my Barony. Think
            Kevin Costner at the beginning of dances with wolves.

            In any case, one option might be to find the next closest barony and
            communicate with their warranted herald.
            Your next option is to skim upcoming events for heraldic tables. A lot of
            events will have a heraldry table for the express purpose of getting new
            people started down the path towards registering a name. As such, they'll
            typically have lots of books on hand and what not. Again, kingdom and barony
            websites should have information on events.

            Next, what websites did you use? Some are are accepted as SCA sources, and
            you can simply use the url and pertinent section of the page as a reference.

            On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Misi <misi417@...> wrote:

            > How does one "grab a herald" who will work with them, when there is
            > none localy available?
            >
            > I have done my research, and documentation for my name is fairly
            > simple. What I need help with is the presentation. I used on-line
            > resources. My by-name is of the nickname variety so I simply had to
            > find the old form of the translation (it was spelled a bit
            > differently in old Norse). But....since I didn't use a book I can't
            > simply photo copy the page. And the web-page it is on on-line, part
            > of a dictionary, I don't know how to print just that one section and
            > not the entire 26 page, page. I assume that providing only the web
            > link to the page is not sufficient.
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Otto von Schwyz"
            > <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Easy, grab a herald; sit down and tell them what you want. It
            > doesn't cost
            > > much to register a name or a device or a badge even. Depending on
            > your
            > > Kingdom, it will vary just how long it will take for your name to
            > pass
            > > Laurel. Once it passes, its yours. I had a friend of mine who's
            > name and
            > > device passed in three months; still the fastest time I have seen
            > anything
            > > go from a local herald to Laurel. Mine took just over six months.
            > >

            > > Otto

          • Bhadra
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19 9:53 AM
              Btw, Sarah helped me and she is really great to work with!

              Sabina

              <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote:

              > Easy, grab a herald; sit down and tell them what you want. It
              doesn't cost
              > much to register a name or a device or a badge even. Depending on
              your
              > Kingdom, it will vary just how long it will take for your name to
              pass
              > Laurel. Once it passes, its yours. I had a friend of mine who's
              name and
              > device passed in three months; still the fastest time I have seen
              anything
              > go from a local herald to Laurel. Mine took just over six months.
              >

              > Otto

            • Misi
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20 1:20 AM
                "what websites did you use? Some are are accepted as SCA sources, and
                you can simply use the url and pertinent section of the page as a
                reference."

                A Concise Dictionary of Old Icelandic,
                by Geir T. Zoëga
                http://norse.ulver.com/ondict/zoega/index.html

                This was for the by-name. The given name I want is one of those that
                doesn't require documentation. Although I may run into a cultural or
                time period problem in putting it with the by-name I want. In which
                case I may have to adjust the given name.

                I did try going through my local group, with no luck.

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Cailin Mac Kinnach"

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 20 1:25 AM
                  I did e-mail her off group just now. I think/hope I have a fairly
                  simple name to provide documentation for. I was very fortunate to
                  have help from someone who was actualy raised by Norse grandparents,
                  and so is familiar with the language.

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Bhadra" <bhadradharma@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Btw, Sarah helped me and she is really great to work with!
                  >
                  > Sabina

                • Ruth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 20 7:54 AM
                    Also, as far as the printing, usually when you print a webpage, the
                    url is printed at the very top and/or bottom of the page
                    automatically. Most printers have an option to print only pages a-b so
                    if you can figure out which page it should be on, you can choose to
                    print only that page. The option is usually found under the regular
                    print function (verse quick print or something like that), you may
                    have to select 'advanced options' or something like that to find it.