Re: [SCA Newcomers] Canton of the Towers

  • ann baltrush
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      Hi Sharon,

      Sorry I am so late getting back to you, but I wanted to thank you for your help and advise. I have attend a couple of meetings in my area and will go to another one Sunday. Once again thanks. Ann

      Sharon Zakhour <sharon.zakhour@...> wrote:
      I am also a newcomer to the SCA and I started out by going to a few
      meetings. I would highly recommend it. In my Shire (Cloondara) we have
      two meetings per month and they are held in the back room of a pizza
      restaurant. The first is a business meeting which is attended by the
      officers and a few hardcore folk. But I get a lot out of those - you
      bond with people and find out what's really going on and how to get
      involved. Plus, they are just really fun people. :-)

      Our second meeting is an A&S (arts and sciences) meeting which is better
      attended and more social/educational. I would say that this is the way
      to go. After a few meetings you find yourself learning about garb (not
      "costume" but garb and we definitely dress in mundane clothes at our
      meetings) and you start to think about names and devices. And my
      daughter started attending fighter practice pretty much right away which
      is also easier when you know some of the folk first.

      I don't know your Canton in particular, but perhaps the meeting info is
      on their webpage? Also, our shire has a yahoo list that has
      announcements and such. Search to see if your Canton has a yahoo group
      to join. It's a good way to find out about meetings, fighter practice
      (and cancellations), who's going to a camping event and who wants to
      share a ride/campsite and so on.

      Bianca