Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thank you so much

  • Bhadra
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
      that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

      Sabina

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
      • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

          - Pardus.

          -------------- Original message from "Heidi Martinez" <heidi.ma2@...>: --------------

          Just had to FYI,

          Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
          called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

          Heidi

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
            Jess wrote:
            > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
            > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

            It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
            of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
            <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
            Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
            information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
            questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
            are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
            answers quickest if you mention it.)

            > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
            > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
            > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

            Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

            What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
            kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
            equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
            on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
            Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
            may take part.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Janet
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
              Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
              It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

              ~Isabel
              North Oaken
              Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

              > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
              > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

              It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
              of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
              <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
              Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
              information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
              questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
              are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
              answers quickest if you mention it.)

              > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
              > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
              > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

              Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

              What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
              kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
              equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
              on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
              Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
              may take part.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                activities.
                [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                historical interests.

                2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                in a period setting.

                3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                comment. Go have fun. :-)

                As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                warriors."

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Dianne
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                  advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                  from there.

                  I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                  Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                  Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                  My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                  Laurensa