Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thank you so much

  • Heidi Martinez
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Just had to FYI,

      Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
      called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

      Heidi

    • Bulgarelli Maria
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        LOL did you know that there are other places with the
        name Hell?

        There's a Hell in Grand Cayman. I sent myself a
        postcard from there when I was on a cruise.

        It's said that Hell, Grand Cayman was named that by
        the man who discovered it because it's all black coral
        and it "must be what Hell looks like."

        Interesting huh?

        Maria

      • Bhadra
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Oh gee, they have a great group (I've heard tell) in Ann Arbor.

          Yes indeedy, we do have women fighters (some who partake in equestrian
          activities)
          As a matter of fact we spent some delightful time with a wonderful young
          lady rapier fighter,
          who is an equestrian..ess?..is that right?

          Your welcome.
          Enjoy

          Sabina

          Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
          advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
          from there.

          I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
          Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

          I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
          were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
          would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
          it only for the men?

          Thanks again
          Jess

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bhadra
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
            that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

            Sabina

            --- Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

            > Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also
            > have a place to
            > send mail post marked Hell, MI
            >
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown
            > <cas46per@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings Jess,
            > > This is off topic but are you really in a town
            > named hell? We went
            > to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is
            > a very small
            > piece of land there and the town is called hell and
            > it even has a
            > post office where you can send mail to your family
            > from hell, Grand
            > Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that
            > was black as
            > charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was
            > sharp and pointed
            > looking.
            > >
            > > Have fun in the SCA
            > > AElfwynn
            > > Shire of Beau Fort
            > > Kingdom of Meridies

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Briana Delaney
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
            • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

                - Pardus.

              • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Jess wrote:
                  > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                  > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                  It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                  of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                  <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
                  Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                  information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                  questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                  are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                  answers quickest if you mention it.)

                  > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                  > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                  > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                  Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                  What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                  kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                  equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
                  on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                  Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                  may take part.

                  Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                • Janet
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
                    It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

                    ~Isabel
                    North Oaken
                    Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

                    > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                    > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                    It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                    of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                    <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
                    Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                    information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                    questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                    are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                    answers quickest if you mention it.)

                    > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                    > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                    > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                    Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                    What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                    kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                    equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
                    on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                    Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                    may take part.

                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                      On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                      > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                      > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                      > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                      [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                      Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                      Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                      equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                      If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                      get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                      activities.
                      [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                      > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                      Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                      is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                      cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                      to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                      tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                      it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                      With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                      alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                      1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                      nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                      historical interests.

                      2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                      in a period setting.

                      3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                      whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                      "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                      Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                      from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                      comment. Go have fun. :-)

                      As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                      warriors."

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • Dianne
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                        advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                        from there.

                        I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                        Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                        Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                        My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                        Laurensa