Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thank you so much

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Greetings Jess,
      This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed looking.

      Have fun in the SCA
      AElfwynn
      Shire of Beau Fort
      Kingdom of Meridies

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also have a place to
        send mail post marked Hell, MI

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Jess,
        > This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went
        to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small
        piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a
        post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand
        Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as
        charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed
        looking.

        > Have fun in the SCA
        > AElfwynn
        > Shire of Beau Fort
        > Kingdom of Meridies

      • Heidi Martinez
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Just had to FYI,

          Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
          called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

          Heidi

        • Bulgarelli Maria
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            LOL did you know that there are other places with the
            name Hell?

            There's a Hell in Grand Cayman. I sent myself a
            postcard from there when I was on a cruise.

            It's said that Hell, Grand Cayman was named that by
            the man who discovered it because it's all black coral
            and it "must be what Hell looks like."

            Interesting huh?

            Maria

          • Bhadra
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Oh gee, they have a great group (I've heard tell) in Ann Arbor.

              Yes indeedy, we do have women fighters (some who partake in equestrian
              activities)
              As a matter of fact we spent some delightful time with a wonderful young
              lady rapier fighter,
              who is an equestrian..ess?..is that right?

              Your welcome.
              Enjoy

              Sabina

              Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
              advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
              from there.

              I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
              Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

              I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
              were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
              would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
              it only for the men?

              Thanks again
              Jess

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bhadra
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
                that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

                Sabina

                --- Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

                > Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also
                > have a place to
                > send mail post marked Hell, MI
                >
                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown
                > <cas46per@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Greetings Jess,
                > > This is off topic but are you really in a town
                > named hell? We went
                > to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is
                > a very small
                > piece of land there and the town is called hell and
                > it even has a
                > post office where you can send mail to your family
                > from hell, Grand
                > Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that
                > was black as
                > charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was
                > sharp and pointed
                > looking.
                > >
                > > Have fun in the SCA
                > > AElfwynn
                > > Shire of Beau Fort
                > > Kingdom of Meridies

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Briana Delaney
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
                • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                    You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

                    - Pardus.

                  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                      Jess wrote:
                      > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                      > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                      It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                      of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                      <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
                      Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                      information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                      questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                      are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                      answers quickest if you mention it.)

                      > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                      > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                      > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                      Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                      What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                      kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                      equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
                      on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                      Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                      may take part.

                      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                      Kingdom of Ansteorra
                      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                    • Janet
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
                        It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

                        ~Isabel
                        North Oaken
                        Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

                        > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                        > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                        It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                        of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                        <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
                        Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                        information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                        questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                        are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                        answers quickest if you mention it.)

                        > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                        > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                        > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                        Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                        What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                        kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                        equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
                        on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                        Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                        may take part.

                        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                          On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                          > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                          > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                          > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                          [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                          Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                          Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                          equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                          If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                          get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                          activities.
                          [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                          > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                          Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                          is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                          cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                          to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                          tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                          it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                          With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                          alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                          1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                          nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                          historical interests.

                          2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                          in a period setting.

                          3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                          whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                          "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                          Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                          from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                          comment. Go have fun. :-)

                          As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                          warriors."

                          keys fesswise reversed sable.

                        • Dianne
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                            Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                            advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                            from there.

                            I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                            Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                            Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                            My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                            Laurensa