Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thank you so much

  • Heidi Martinez
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Jess,

      I live in Ann Arbor and am in the Barony of Cynnabar.
      Let me know if you ever get out this way, I would be happy to take you to
      something here.

      Heidi

      You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@...

      On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

      > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
      > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
      > from there.
      >
      > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
      > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
      >
      > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
      > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
      > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
      > it only for the men?
      >
      > Thanks again
      > Jess

    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Greetings Jess,
        This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed looking.

        Have fun in the SCA
        AElfwynn
        Shire of Beau Fort
        Kingdom of Meridies

        You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@gmail. com

        On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@hotmail. com> wrote:

        > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
        > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
        > from there.
        >
        > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
        > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
        >
        > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
        > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
        > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
        > it only for the men?
        >
        > Thanks again
        > Jess

      • Jess
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also have a place to
          send mail post marked Hell, MI

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

          > Greetings Jess,
          > This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went
          to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small
          piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a
          post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand
          Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as
          charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed
          looking.

          > Have fun in the SCA
          > AElfwynn
          > Shire of Beau Fort
          > Kingdom of Meridies

        • Heidi Martinez
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            Just had to FYI,

            Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
            called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

            Heidi

          • Bulgarelli Maria
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              LOL did you know that there are other places with the
              name Hell?

              There's a Hell in Grand Cayman. I sent myself a
              postcard from there when I was on a cruise.

              It's said that Hell, Grand Cayman was named that by
              the man who discovered it because it's all black coral
              and it "must be what Hell looks like."

              Interesting huh?

              Maria

            • Bhadra
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                Oh gee, they have a great group (I've heard tell) in Ann Arbor.

                Yes indeedy, we do have women fighters (some who partake in equestrian
                activities)
                As a matter of fact we spent some delightful time with a wonderful young
                lady rapier fighter,
                who is an equestrian..ess?..is that right?

                Your welcome.
                Enjoy

                Sabina

                Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                from there.

                I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
                were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
                would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
                it only for the men?

                Thanks again
                Jess

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bhadra
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
                  that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

                  Sabina

                  --- Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

                  > Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also
                  > have a place to
                  > send mail post marked Hell, MI
                  >
                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown
                  > <cas46per@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings Jess,
                  > > This is off topic but are you really in a town
                  > named hell? We went
                  > to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is
                  > a very small
                  > piece of land there and the town is called hell and
                  > it even has a
                  > post office where you can send mail to your family
                  > from hell, Grand
                  > Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that
                  > was black as
                  > charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was
                  > sharp and pointed
                  > looking.
                  > >
                  > > Have fun in the SCA
                  > > AElfwynn
                  > > Shire of Beau Fort
                  > > Kingdom of Meridies

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Briana Delaney
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
                  • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                      You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

                      - Pardus.

                    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Jess wrote:
                        > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                        > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                        It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                        of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                        <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
                        Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                        information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                        questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                        are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                        answers quickest if you mention it.)

                        > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                        > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                        > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                        Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                        What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                        kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                        equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
                        on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                        Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                        may take part.

                        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                      • Janet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
                          It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

                          ~Isabel
                          North Oaken
                          Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

                          > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                          > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                          It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                          of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                          <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
                          Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                          information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                          questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                          are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                          answers quickest if you mention it.)

                          > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                          > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                          > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                          Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                          What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                          kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                          equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
                          on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                          Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                          may take part.

                          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                            On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                            > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                            > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                            > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                            [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                            Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                            Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                            equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                            If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                            get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                            activities.
                            [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                            > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                            Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                            is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                            cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                            to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                            tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                            it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                            With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                            alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                            1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                            nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                            historical interests.

                            2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                            in a period setting.

                            3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                            whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                            "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                            Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                            from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                            comment. Go have fun. :-)

                            As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                            warriors."

                            keys fesswise reversed sable.

                          • Dianne
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                              Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                              advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                              from there.

                              I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                              Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                              Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                              My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                              Laurensa