RE: [SCA Newcomers] Thank you so much

  • Chris Chastain
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Jess,

      I'll answer that question for ya, we don't allow men or women on to the
      field only fighters! There are no non-coed activities in the SCA, you want
      to do it go for it!

      Yours in Humble Service,

      Dmitrii Ivanov

      "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
      Napoleon Bonaparte

      Death smile's at everyone, man can only smile back!

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Jess,

        I live in Ann Arbor and am in the Barony of Cynnabar.
        Let me know if you ever get out this way, I would be happy to take you to
        something here.

        Heidi

        You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@...

        On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

        > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
        > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
        > from there.
        >
        > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
        > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
        >
        > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
        > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
        > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
        > it only for the men?
        >
        > Thanks again
        > Jess

      • wendy brown
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Greetings Jess,
          This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed looking.

          Have fun in the SCA
          AElfwynn
          Shire of Beau Fort
          Kingdom of Meridies

          You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@gmail. com

          On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@hotmail. com> wrote:

          > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
          > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
          > from there.
          >
          > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
          > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
          >
          > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
          > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
          > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
          > it only for the men?
          >
          > Thanks again
          > Jess

        • Jess
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also have a place to
            send mail post marked Hell, MI

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

            > Greetings Jess,
            > This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went
            to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small
            piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a
            post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand
            Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as
            charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed
            looking.

            > Have fun in the SCA
            > AElfwynn
            > Shire of Beau Fort
            > Kingdom of Meridies

          • Heidi Martinez
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Just had to FYI,

              Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
              called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

              Heidi

            • Bulgarelli Maria
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                LOL did you know that there are other places with the
                name Hell?

                There's a Hell in Grand Cayman. I sent myself a
                postcard from there when I was on a cruise.

                It's said that Hell, Grand Cayman was named that by
                the man who discovered it because it's all black coral
                and it "must be what Hell looks like."

                Interesting huh?

                Maria

              • Bhadra
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Oh gee, they have a great group (I've heard tell) in Ann Arbor.

                  Yes indeedy, we do have women fighters (some who partake in equestrian
                  activities)
                  As a matter of fact we spent some delightful time with a wonderful young
                  lady rapier fighter,
                  who is an equestrian..ess?..is that right?

                  Your welcome.
                  Enjoy

                  Sabina

                  Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                  advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                  from there.

                  I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                  Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                  I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
                  were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
                  would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
                  it only for the men?

                  Thanks again
                  Jess

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bhadra
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
                    that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

                    Sabina

                    --- Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

                    > Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also
                    > have a place to
                    > send mail post marked Hell, MI
                    >
                    > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown
                    > <cas46per@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Greetings Jess,
                    > > This is off topic but are you really in a town
                    > named hell? We went
                    > to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is
                    > a very small
                    > piece of land there and the town is called hell and
                    > it even has a
                    > post office where you can send mail to your family
                    > from hell, Grand
                    > Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that
                    > was black as
                    > charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was
                    > sharp and pointed
                    > looking.
                    > >
                    > > Have fun in the SCA
                    > > AElfwynn
                    > > Shire of Beau Fort
                    > > Kingdom of Meridies

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Briana Delaney
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
                    • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                        You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

                        - Pardus.

                      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Jess wrote:
                          > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                          > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                          It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                          of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                          <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
                          Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                          information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                          questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                          are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                          answers quickest if you mention it.)

                          > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                          > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                          > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                          Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                          What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                          kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                          equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
                          on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                          Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                          may take part.

                          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                        • Janet
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
                            It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

                            ~Isabel
                            North Oaken
                            Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

                            > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                            > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                            It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                            of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                            <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
                            Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                            information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                            questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                            are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                            answers quickest if you mention it.)

                            > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                            > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                            > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                            Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                            What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                            kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                            equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
                            on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                            Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                            may take part.

                            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                              On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                              > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                              > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                              > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                              [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                              Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                              Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                              equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                              If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                              get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                              activities.
                              [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                              > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                              Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                              is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                              cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                              to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                              tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                              it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                              With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                              alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                              1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                              nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                              historical interests.

                              2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                              in a period setting.

                              3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                              whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                              "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                              Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                              from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                              comment. Go have fun. :-)

                              As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                              warriors."

                              keys fesswise reversed sable.

                            • Dianne
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                                Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                                advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                                from there.

                                I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                                Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                                Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                                My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                                Laurensa