Thank you so much

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
      advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
      from there.

      I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
      Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

      I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
      were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
      would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
      it only for the men?

      Thanks again
      Jess
    • Chris Chastain
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Jess,

        I'll answer that question for ya, we don't allow men or women on to the
        field only fighters! There are no non-coed activities in the SCA, you want
        to do it go for it!

        Yours in Humble Service,

        Dmitrii Ivanov

        "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
        Napoleon Bonaparte

        Death smile's at everyone, man can only smile back!

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Jess,

          I live in Ann Arbor and am in the Barony of Cynnabar.
          Let me know if you ever get out this way, I would be happy to take you to
          something here.

          Heidi

          You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@...

          On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

          > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
          > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
          > from there.
          >
          > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
          > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
          >
          > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
          > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
          > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
          > it only for the men?
          >
          > Thanks again
          > Jess

        • wendy brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            Greetings Jess,
            This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed looking.

            Have fun in the SCA
            AElfwynn
            Shire of Beau Fort
            Kingdom of Meridies

            You can e mail me when you will be around: heidi.ma2@gmail. com

            On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Jess <j_bear81@hotmail. com> wrote:

            > Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
            > advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
            > from there.
            >
            > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
            > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.
            >
            > I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
            > were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
            > would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
            > it only for the men?
            >
            > Thanks again
            > Jess

          • Jess
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also have a place to
              send mail post marked Hell, MI

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown <cas46per@...> wrote:

              > Greetings Jess,
              > This is off topic but are you really in a town named hell? We went
              to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is a very small
              piece of land there and the town is called hell and it even has a
              post office where you can send mail to your family from hell, Grand
              Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that was black as
              charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was sharp and pointed
              looking.

              > Have fun in the SCA
              > AElfwynn
              > Shire of Beau Fort
              > Kingdom of Meridies

            • Heidi Martinez
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                Just had to FYI,

                Yes, the children here in Ann Arbor when they realize that there is a town
                called that so close they all giggle when they talk about it.

                Heidi

              • Bulgarelli Maria
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                  LOL did you know that there are other places with the
                  name Hell?

                  There's a Hell in Grand Cayman. I sent myself a
                  postcard from there when I was on a cruise.

                  It's said that Hell, Grand Cayman was named that by
                  the man who discovered it because it's all black coral
                  and it "must be what Hell looks like."

                  Interesting huh?

                  Maria

                • Bhadra
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Oh gee, they have a great group (I've heard tell) in Ann Arbor.

                    Yes indeedy, we do have women fighters (some who partake in equestrian
                    activities)
                    As a matter of fact we spent some delightful time with a wonderful young
                    lady rapier fighter,
                    who is an equestrian..ess?..is that right?

                    Your welcome.
                    Enjoy

                    Sabina

                    Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                    advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                    from there.

                    I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                    Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                    I have another question. In the info I was reading I saw that there
                    were equestrian activities. I have been riding for about 19 years and
                    would love incorporate the two. Can women partake in them as well or is
                    it only for the men?

                    Thanks again
                    Jess

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bhadra
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Hey Maria...waving at you from over here!!! I didn't know there were places
                      that were actually called Hell. YIKES!!

                      Sabina

                      --- Jess <j_bear81@...> wrote:

                      > Yep I have lived in Hell (lol) for 15 years. We also
                      > have a place to
                      > send mail post marked Hell, MI
                      >
                      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wendy brown
                      > <cas46per@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Greetings Jess,
                      > > This is off topic but are you really in a town
                      > named hell? We went
                      > to Grand Cayman Island a few years ago and there is
                      > a very small
                      > piece of land there and the town is called hell and
                      > it even has a
                      > post office where you can send mail to your family
                      > from hell, Grand
                      > Cayman Island. It had a piece of land out back that
                      > was black as
                      > charcoal and stuck up out of the ground and was
                      > sharp and pointed
                      > looking.
                      > >
                      > > Have fun in the SCA
                      > > AElfwynn
                      > > Shire of Beau Fort
                      > > Kingdom of Meridies

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Briana Delaney
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Both exist, as well as Hell, Norway!
                      • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                          You know, this totally takes a notch out of the AC/DC song.

                          - Pardus.

                        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Jess wrote:
                            > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                            > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                            It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                            of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                            <http://www.dragonscaleconsort.com/cartography/Pentamere_pages/
                            Northwoods.htm>. (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                            information--or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                            questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                            are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                            answers quickest if you mention it.)

                            > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                            > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                            > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                            Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                            What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                            kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                            equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm.org/equestrian/>. Click
                            on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                            Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                            may take part.

                            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                          • Janet
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                              Here is the event calendar for the middle kingdom: http://www.midrealm.org/calendar/
                              It gets constantly updated so it's a good reference for events coming up. If you are interested in equestrian, they usually have it at Baron Wars in Toledo in May (event site: http://www.marcheofthemarshes.org/BWmain.htm ). It's a very fun camping event that seems to kick off the camping season here in the Midrealm. It looks like they are just starting to get the event website together, so I'm sure it will have more info in the next month or two.

                              ~Isabel
                              North Oaken
                              Midrealm (that's another way to say Middle Kingdom)

                              > I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                              > Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.

                              It looks like that would put you in the Middle Kingdom, in the Barony
                              of Northwoods in the region of Pentamere
                              <http://www.dragonsc aleconsort. com/cartography/ Pentamere_ pages/
                              Northwoods.htm> . (It would, by the way, be good to include that
                              information- -or at least the name of your kingdom--with any future
                              questions you send to the list. The answers will depend on where you
                              are more often than you might think, so you'll get the most relevant
                              answers quickest if you mention it.)

                              > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                              > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                              > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                              Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                              What's involved in participating in any martial activity varies from
                              kingdom to kingdom. You can find information on your kingdom's
                              equestrian community at <http://www.midrealm .org/equestrian/>. Click
                              on "Resources" and look at the Society Equestrian Handbook and the
                              Midrealm Equestrian Marshal's Handbook for the rules under which you
                              may take part.

                              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                              Kingdom of Ansteorra
                              <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                                On Thursday 06 March 2008 03:39:55 Coblaith Mhuimhneach wrote:
                                > > . . .I saw that there were equestrian activities. I have been riding
                                > > for about 19 years and would love incorporate the two. Can women
                                > > partake in them as well or is it only for the men?

                                [SHAMELESS_PLUG]
                                Our local Barony, the Barony of Brendoken, is hosting an event called
                                Brendokenfest on April 12 here in northeastern Ohio. We are not only "having"
                                equestrian activities, but *featuring* them as a major part of the event.
                                If you're interested, contact me off-list (justin at 4th dot com) and I'll
                                get you in touch with our Autocrat and the person coordinating our equestrian
                                activities.
                                [/SHAMELESS_PLUG]

                                > Nothing in the S.C.A. is only for men.

                                Absolutely true! Nor only for women. One of the best embroiderers in our locale
                                is a man who also loves to put on armour and fight. I myself very much enjoy
                                cooking (though not in the SCA. I'm not foolish....errr, dedicated....enough
                                to make dinner for 120 people!) and am enjoying learning to sew garb. I even
                                tried blackwork embroidery once and liked it, and would probably do more of
                                it except that I don't have time for Yet Another Hobby. ;-)

                                With most things that cross "traditional" gender roles in the SCA, you have three
                                alternatives, all equally acceptable to those around you:

                                1. Create a persona or secondary persona of the other gender. This implies
                                nothing about your real-world sexual identity or orientation, only your
                                historical interests.

                                2. Create a back-story that would allow your persona to cross gender boundaries
                                in a period setting.

                                3. Do what you want to do, as the gender you want to be, and make no apologies
                                whatsoever. These are the *Current* Middle Ages, and we re-create history
                                "as it should have been" while studying it "as it actually was".

                                Option 3 is by far the simplest, and you are extremely unlikely to get grief
                                from anyone around you. Not only no grief, but probably not even the smallest
                                comment. Go have fun. :-)

                                As someone else said, on the fighting field "there are no men or women, only
                                warriors."

                                keys fesswise reversed sable.

                              • Dianne
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                                  Thank you all so much for the advice and votes of confidence. The
                                  advice you gave is great. I will be contacting the Hospitaler and go
                                  from there.

                                  I live in Hell Michigan. For all those who are not familiar with
                                  Michigan it is about 30 min north west of Ann Arbor.>>

                                  Welcome, Jess, from a South Lyon expatriate!

                                  My DH was tickled to death with his June 6, 2006 shirt from Hell.

                                  Laurensa