Re: [SCA Newcomers] advice

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
      On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:59:41 Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
      > I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
      > the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
      > local group is well founded.

      P.S. -- I noted that Jessa remarked on her shyness. I'll mention in passing
      that my lady and I had the honor of being among the founding members of our
      local shire, the Marche of Alderford. At the time the shire was founded,
      we were *all* new to the SCA.

      At the first organizing meeting, a young lady who sat quietly and shyly at
      the back of the room heard someone say that we would need a Chatelaine to
      welcome newcomers to our group. M'Lady Meredydd stepped up to the challenge,
      and became the finest Chatelaine a group could ever hope for! Because she
      herself was shy around new acquaintances, she was able to relate to the
      feelings of others, and she did a fantastic job in the office.

      Again, welcome to the SCA! You will fit in just fine here.

      Warm regards,

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
        In a message dated 3/4/2008 9:30:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        j_bear81@... writes:

        <<I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
        However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
        meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
        meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
        as well.>>

        A lot of us were pretty shy when we started in the SCA. For some reason, it
        tends to draw shy people :-) So we're used to it, and lot of us have been
        there, myself included. In fact, the SCA is one of the reasons why I am not
        nearly as shy as I used to be. It tends to be a pretty supportive
        environment (not always, there are always people who want to put someone down to make
        themselves feel bigger, but as a whole the SCA is better than general society
        by a long shot). Generally, if you are willing to try something, there will
        be someone to back you up and tell you that you CAN do this.
        Put it this way. When I got out of high school, I had a shell so thick that
        almost nothing could break through it. I very deliberately had developed a
        policy of never reacting to anything because then nobody could use my
        reactions against me. The first step in breaking through it was actually a
        role-playing club I got into in college. At the first meeting I went to, during a
        break in the meeting one of the guys came over and without a word, picked up me
        and the chair I was sitting on and swung me in circles all around the room.
        I yelled at him to put me down, which he did, and then I asked him why he
        had done it. His answer was "I had to get you to react to SOMETHING!" That
        group spent months - years, really - getting me out of that shell. (And yes,
        I'm still in touch with some of them after more than 20 years.) A few years
        after I started hanging out with them, I met the SCA. I was still pretty shy
        and not very self-confident, so much so that my first boss had commented on
        the fact that I needed to improve my self-confidence if I was going to do well
        in my career (I'm a physical therapist). The SCA gave me a place where I
        could experiment with taking on authority - running events, being an officer,
        etc, that was a bigger circle than the role-playing club, but not as big as
        the real world. Now, I can teach classes, speak in public at work, and so
        forth without freezing up. I even sing solo at SCA events, (and only at SCA
        events) because I know that I will have a courteous audience, and that if anyone
        feels the need to comment, they will mostly likely give me a gentle
        suggestion instead of telling me I stink. I know this because I have seen some really
        bad performers get up and perform at SCA events, and be received politely.

        My advice is to take it slowly. Don't try to push yourself to something too
        far outside your comfort level too quickly. If somebody tells you that you
        HAVE to go to the great party and perform, it's OK to tell them that you
        aren't into that, or that you'd like to go to just watch. It will be respected
        in most cases. But definitely try to stretch your wings a little.

        Lancaster, PA

      • PATRICIA BENTLEY
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
          Jess

          Dont be nervous as most in all groups will make you feel welcome the moment you walk in if it is easier for you meet people with a friend in tow then pick up on the newbie board and become friends with others first make your first event something simple. A class or fighting group were it is small and not as busy, YOu can also meet up wiht the chaitlaine of your group first and ask to meet her/ him then you can arrange a meeting at the event or before so you are not going in completely blind. Remember you are going to have fun and learn new things and everyone is new at something once or twice in there life. Be yourself and enjoy before you know you will be making more friends then you can name

          gisele

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: j_bear81@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 02:06:58 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] advice

          Hi,I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating. However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt as well.Jess

        • Let's just leave it as "Sean"
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
            My deepest apologies for addressing you as M'lord. I saw Jess and
            thought Jesse (as in James). I truly feel the dullard for assuming,
            we all know what happens when you assume.
            Once again my deepest and most sincere apologies.
            Pax, Sean the Poor