Re: [SCA Newcomers] advice

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
      On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:46:45 Oakes, George wrote:
      > Also remember we were all new at one point in time. So this is nothing
      > new, find out who your Hospitaler (person who welcomes and helps
      > newbies, some kingdoms have another name for this person too) is and
      > start talking with them.

      Good morning Jess, and welcome!

      I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
      the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
      local group is well founded.

      Welcome to the SCA!

      keys fesswise reversed sable.

    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
        On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:59:41 Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
        > I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
        > the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
        > local group is well founded.

        P.S. -- I noted that Jessa remarked on her shyness. I'll mention in passing
        that my lady and I had the honor of being among the founding members of our
        local shire, the Marche of Alderford. At the time the shire was founded,
        we were *all* new to the SCA.

        At the first organizing meeting, a young lady who sat quietly and shyly at
        the back of the room heard someone say that we would need a Chatelaine to
        welcome newcomers to our group. M'Lady Meredydd stepped up to the challenge,
        and became the finest Chatelaine a group could ever hope for! Because she
        herself was shy around new acquaintances, she was able to relate to the
        feelings of others, and she did a fantastic job in the office.

        Again, welcome to the SCA! You will fit in just fine here.

        Warm regards,

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
          In a message dated 3/4/2008 9:30:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          j_bear81@... writes:

          <<I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
          However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
          meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
          meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
          as well.>>

          A lot of us were pretty shy when we started in the SCA. For some reason, it
          tends to draw shy people :-) So we're used to it, and lot of us have been
          there, myself included. In fact, the SCA is one of the reasons why I am not
          nearly as shy as I used to be. It tends to be a pretty supportive
          environment (not always, there are always people who want to put someone down to make
          themselves feel bigger, but as a whole the SCA is better than general society
          by a long shot). Generally, if you are willing to try something, there will
          be someone to back you up and tell you that you CAN do this.
          Put it this way. When I got out of high school, I had a shell so thick that
          almost nothing could break through it. I very deliberately had developed a
          policy of never reacting to anything because then nobody could use my
          reactions against me. The first step in breaking through it was actually a
          role-playing club I got into in college. At the first meeting I went to, during a
          break in the meeting one of the guys came over and without a word, picked up me
          and the chair I was sitting on and swung me in circles all around the room.
          I yelled at him to put me down, which he did, and then I asked him why he
          had done it. His answer was "I had to get you to react to SOMETHING!" That
          group spent months - years, really - getting me out of that shell. (And yes,
          I'm still in touch with some of them after more than 20 years.) A few years
          after I started hanging out with them, I met the SCA. I was still pretty shy
          and not very self-confident, so much so that my first boss had commented on
          the fact that I needed to improve my self-confidence if I was going to do well
          in my career (I'm a physical therapist). The SCA gave me a place where I
          could experiment with taking on authority - running events, being an officer,
          etc, that was a bigger circle than the role-playing club, but not as big as
          the real world. Now, I can teach classes, speak in public at work, and so
          forth without freezing up. I even sing solo at SCA events, (and only at SCA
          events) because I know that I will have a courteous audience, and that if anyone
          feels the need to comment, they will mostly likely give me a gentle
          suggestion instead of telling me I stink. I know this because I have seen some really
          bad performers get up and perform at SCA events, and be received politely.

          My advice is to take it slowly. Don't try to push yourself to something too
          far outside your comfort level too quickly. If somebody tells you that you
          HAVE to go to the great party and perform, it's OK to tell them that you
          aren't into that, or that you'd like to go to just watch. It will be respected
          in most cases. But definitely try to stretch your wings a little.

          Lancaster, PA

        • PATRICIA BENTLEY
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
            Jess

            Dont be nervous as most in all groups will make you feel welcome the moment you walk in if it is easier for you meet people with a friend in tow then pick up on the newbie board and become friends with others first make your first event something simple. A class or fighting group were it is small and not as busy, YOu can also meet up wiht the chaitlaine of your group first and ask to meet her/ him then you can arrange a meeting at the event or before so you are not going in completely blind. Remember you are going to have fun and learn new things and everyone is new at something once or twice in there life. Be yourself and enjoy before you know you will be making more friends then you can name

            gisele

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: j_bear81@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 02:06:58 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] advice

            Hi,I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating. However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt as well.Jess

          • Let's just leave it as "Sean"
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
              My deepest apologies for addressing you as M'lord. I saw Jess and
              thought Jesse (as in James). I truly feel the dullard for assuming,
              we all know what happens when you assume.
              Once again my deepest and most sincere apologies.
              Pax, Sean the Poor