RE: [SCA Newcomers] advice

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
      Jess,

      Can you tell us where you are so perhaps one of us who may be from your
      area/kingdom can talk to you directly.

      Also remember we were all new at one point in time. So this is nothing
      new, find out who your Hospitaler (person who welcomes and helps
      newbies, some kingdoms have another name for this person too) is and
      start talking with them.

      find out if you are in a barony or shire? and what kingdom you are in.
      if they have business meetings, I suggest going to one, sticking your
      face in there, and saying, "Hi everyone Im new!" trust me the folks
      there will inundate you with loads of info :)

      DO not worry about a persona, or name yet. instead figure out what you
      like to do. Attend fighter practice, or archery practice, or attend some
      Arts & Sci functions (SCA crafts, this is where they learn and teach all
      the stuff from sewing, to caligraphy, to leatherworking and much much
      more) I myself am interested in brewing and leatherworking, I am also
      into Archery, so my first task in the SCA was to become an authorized
      Archery Ranger (a person who runs and manages the archery field) which I
      have done successfully. Now I am looking forward to meeting with a
      Laurel in brewing and Vinting and hopefully become an apprentice, or
      aprrentice in leatherworking.

      Welcome and we hope you find yourself a new home in the SCA

      Yours in Service
      Ranger Gavin Kinkade (George Oakes)
      Barony of Marcaster, Kingdom of Trimaris (St. Petersburg, FL)

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
        On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:46:45 Oakes, George wrote:
        > Also remember we were all new at one point in time. So this is nothing
        > new, find out who your Hospitaler (person who welcomes and helps
        > newbies, some kingdoms have another name for this person too) is and
        > start talking with them.

        Good morning Jess, and welcome!

        I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
        the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
        local group is well founded.

        Welcome to the SCA!

        keys fesswise reversed sable.

      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
          On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:59:41 Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
          > I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
          > the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
          > local group is well founded.

          P.S. -- I noted that Jessa remarked on her shyness. I'll mention in passing
          that my lady and I had the honor of being among the founding members of our
          local shire, the Marche of Alderford. At the time the shire was founded,
          we were *all* new to the SCA.

          At the first organizing meeting, a young lady who sat quietly and shyly at
          the back of the room heard someone say that we would need a Chatelaine to
          welcome newcomers to our group. M'Lady Meredydd stepped up to the challenge,
          and became the finest Chatelaine a group could ever hope for! Because she
          herself was shy around new acquaintances, she was able to relate to the
          feelings of others, and she did a fantastic job in the office.

          Again, welcome to the SCA! You will fit in just fine here.

          Warm regards,

          keys fesswise reversed sable.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
            In a message dated 3/4/2008 9:30:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            j_bear81@... writes:

            <<I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
            However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
            meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
            meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
            as well.>>

            A lot of us were pretty shy when we started in the SCA. For some reason, it
            tends to draw shy people :-) So we're used to it, and lot of us have been
            there, myself included. In fact, the SCA is one of the reasons why I am not
            nearly as shy as I used to be. It tends to be a pretty supportive
            environment (not always, there are always people who want to put someone down to make
            themselves feel bigger, but as a whole the SCA is better than general society
            by a long shot). Generally, if you are willing to try something, there will
            be someone to back you up and tell you that you CAN do this.
            Put it this way. When I got out of high school, I had a shell so thick that
            almost nothing could break through it. I very deliberately had developed a
            policy of never reacting to anything because then nobody could use my
            reactions against me. The first step in breaking through it was actually a
            role-playing club I got into in college. At the first meeting I went to, during a
            break in the meeting one of the guys came over and without a word, picked up me
            and the chair I was sitting on and swung me in circles all around the room.
            I yelled at him to put me down, which he did, and then I asked him why he
            had done it. His answer was "I had to get you to react to SOMETHING!" That
            group spent months - years, really - getting me out of that shell. (And yes,
            I'm still in touch with some of them after more than 20 years.) A few years
            after I started hanging out with them, I met the SCA. I was still pretty shy
            and not very self-confident, so much so that my first boss had commented on
            the fact that I needed to improve my self-confidence if I was going to do well
            in my career (I'm a physical therapist). The SCA gave me a place where I
            could experiment with taking on authority - running events, being an officer,
            etc, that was a bigger circle than the role-playing club, but not as big as
            the real world. Now, I can teach classes, speak in public at work, and so
            forth without freezing up. I even sing solo at SCA events, (and only at SCA
            events) because I know that I will have a courteous audience, and that if anyone
            feels the need to comment, they will mostly likely give me a gentle
            suggestion instead of telling me I stink. I know this because I have seen some really
            bad performers get up and perform at SCA events, and be received politely.

            My advice is to take it slowly. Don't try to push yourself to something too
            far outside your comfort level too quickly. If somebody tells you that you
            HAVE to go to the great party and perform, it's OK to tell them that you
            aren't into that, or that you'd like to go to just watch. It will be respected
            in most cases. But definitely try to stretch your wings a little.

            Lancaster, PA

          • PATRICIA BENTLEY
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
              Jess

              Dont be nervous as most in all groups will make you feel welcome the moment you walk in if it is easier for you meet people with a friend in tow then pick up on the newbie board and become friends with others first make your first event something simple. A class or fighting group were it is small and not as busy, YOu can also meet up wiht the chaitlaine of your group first and ask to meet her/ him then you can arrange a meeting at the event or before so you are not going in completely blind. Remember you are going to have fun and learn new things and everyone is new at something once or twice in there life. Be yourself and enjoy before you know you will be making more friends then you can name

              gisele

              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: j_bear81@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 02:06:58 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] advice

              Hi,I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating. However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt as well.Jess

            • Let's just leave it as "Sean"
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                My deepest apologies for addressing you as M'lord. I saw Jess and
                thought Jesse (as in James). I truly feel the dullard for assuming,
                we all know what happens when you assume.
                Once again my deepest and most sincere apologies.
                Pax, Sean the Poor