Re: [SCA Newcomers] advice

  • Briana Delaney
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
      Hey I joined in January and attend the weekly meetings but actually have
      made it to one event prior to GW!

    • Shadocat@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
        Hi, Jess.
        My first suggestion is to try and make contact with at least one person by email, perhaps, before the meeting. Ask questions, and try to make a friend. (Perhaps from an interest group that appeals to you? sewing, craft, etc.) This way, perhaps, that person might take you in wing, introduce you to the others, and make it clear that you are new.

        Either way, it seems that new folks are always welcome. It's just hard to tell a brand new person from a transfer from another area, etc. . . At least I've been mistaken as a transfer a couple of times.

        A great way to make friends, is to get into their mailing list, and look for opportunities to help out with 'anything'.

        Oh, and you know, the one question I wondered about myself on that first night,
        No one wears garb at the business meetings!

        - Pardus.
        -------------- Original message from "Jess" <j_bear81@...>: --------------

        Hi,

        I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
        However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
        meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
        meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
        as well.

        Jess

      • Sean Healy
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2008
          Greetings m'lord, I'm new to the SCA also I'm just coming up on one year. The first event I went to an event while I was checking in with the troll, I had someone I work with come up behind me and tap me on the shoulder. The thing is I never knew before that that she was in the SCA. She helped me out quite a bet and introduced me around. The point is you really don't know who you may run into at an event or meeting.
          This Group has been a great help to me also. I have, after asking questions on this group, been lead to the hiurgeonate (the first aid squard of the SCA). There are tons of really friendly people involved in the SCA that when told that you are "new" will be only to willing to help you out.
          Pax
          Your servant, Sean the Poor

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
            Jess wrote:
            > . . .I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
            > meeting not knowing any one.

            If your local branch has an e-mail list, consider joining it. You can
            lurk and observe for a while if you prefer, or introduce yourself
            through a simple e-mail. (In the latter case, include a little info on
            what you think you might like to do in the S.C.A. That'll give others
            in the area who share your interests the chance to "talk" to you about
            what's going on.) Knowing a few folks "virtually" should make going to
            a meeting more comfortable; it'll be more a matter of seeking out your
            new friends than joining a group of strangers.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Oakes, George
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
              Jess,

              Can you tell us where you are so perhaps one of us who may be from your
              area/kingdom can talk to you directly.

              Also remember we were all new at one point in time. So this is nothing
              new, find out who your Hospitaler (person who welcomes and helps
              newbies, some kingdoms have another name for this person too) is and
              start talking with them.

              find out if you are in a barony or shire? and what kingdom you are in.
              if they have business meetings, I suggest going to one, sticking your
              face in there, and saying, "Hi everyone Im new!" trust me the folks
              there will inundate you with loads of info :)

              DO not worry about a persona, or name yet. instead figure out what you
              like to do. Attend fighter practice, or archery practice, or attend some
              Arts & Sci functions (SCA crafts, this is where they learn and teach all
              the stuff from sewing, to caligraphy, to leatherworking and much much
              more) I myself am interested in brewing and leatherworking, I am also
              into Archery, so my first task in the SCA was to become an authorized
              Archery Ranger (a person who runs and manages the archery field) which I
              have done successfully. Now I am looking forward to meeting with a
              Laurel in brewing and Vinting and hopefully become an apprentice, or
              aprrentice in leatherworking.

              Welcome and we hope you find yourself a new home in the SCA

              Yours in Service
              Ranger Gavin Kinkade (George Oakes)
              Barony of Marcaster, Kingdom of Trimaris (St. Petersburg, FL)

              ________________________________

              I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
              However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
              meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
              meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
              as well.

              Jess

            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:46:45 Oakes, George wrote:
                > Also remember we were all new at one point in time. So this is nothing
                > new, find out who your Hospitaler (person who welcomes and helps
                > newbies, some kingdoms have another name for this person too) is and
                > start talking with them.

                Good morning Jess, and welcome!

                I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
                the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
                local group is well founded.

                Welcome to the SCA!

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                  On Wednesday 05 March 2008 07:59:41 Justinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
                  > I might add to the above that in some kingdoms the newcomer officer is called
                  > the Chatelain(e). In either case, the advice to seek out this person in your
                  > local group is well founded.

                  P.S. -- I noted that Jessa remarked on her shyness. I'll mention in passing
                  that my lady and I had the honor of being among the founding members of our
                  local shire, the Marche of Alderford. At the time the shire was founded,
                  we were *all* new to the SCA.

                  At the first organizing meeting, a young lady who sat quietly and shyly at
                  the back of the room heard someone say that we would need a Chatelaine to
                  welcome newcomers to our group. M'Lady Meredydd stepped up to the challenge,
                  and became the finest Chatelaine a group could ever hope for! Because she
                  herself was shy around new acquaintances, she was able to relate to the
                  feelings of others, and she did a fantastic job in the office.

                  Again, welcome to the SCA! You will fit in just fine here.

                  Warm regards,

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                    In a message dated 3/4/2008 9:30:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    j_bear81@... writes:

                    <<I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating.
                    However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a
                    meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a
                    meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt
                    as well.>>

                    A lot of us were pretty shy when we started in the SCA. For some reason, it
                    tends to draw shy people :-) So we're used to it, and lot of us have been
                    there, myself included. In fact, the SCA is one of the reasons why I am not
                    nearly as shy as I used to be. It tends to be a pretty supportive
                    environment (not always, there are always people who want to put someone down to make
                    themselves feel bigger, but as a whole the SCA is better than general society
                    by a long shot). Generally, if you are willing to try something, there will
                    be someone to back you up and tell you that you CAN do this.
                    Put it this way. When I got out of high school, I had a shell so thick that
                    almost nothing could break through it. I very deliberately had developed a
                    policy of never reacting to anything because then nobody could use my
                    reactions against me. The first step in breaking through it was actually a
                    role-playing club I got into in college. At the first meeting I went to, during a
                    break in the meeting one of the guys came over and without a word, picked up me
                    and the chair I was sitting on and swung me in circles all around the room.
                    I yelled at him to put me down, which he did, and then I asked him why he
                    had done it. His answer was "I had to get you to react to SOMETHING!" That
                    group spent months - years, really - getting me out of that shell. (And yes,
                    I'm still in touch with some of them after more than 20 years.) A few years
                    after I started hanging out with them, I met the SCA. I was still pretty shy
                    and not very self-confident, so much so that my first boss had commented on
                    the fact that I needed to improve my self-confidence if I was going to do well
                    in my career (I'm a physical therapist). The SCA gave me a place where I
                    could experiment with taking on authority - running events, being an officer,
                    etc, that was a bigger circle than the role-playing club, but not as big as
                    the real world. Now, I can teach classes, speak in public at work, and so
                    forth without freezing up. I even sing solo at SCA events, (and only at SCA
                    events) because I know that I will have a courteous audience, and that if anyone
                    feels the need to comment, they will mostly likely give me a gentle
                    suggestion instead of telling me I stink. I know this because I have seen some really
                    bad performers get up and perform at SCA events, and be received politely.

                    My advice is to take it slowly. Don't try to push yourself to something too
                    far outside your comfort level too quickly. If somebody tells you that you
                    HAVE to go to the great party and perform, it's OK to tell them that you
                    aren't into that, or that you'd like to go to just watch. It will be respected
                    in most cases. But definitely try to stretch your wings a little.

                    Lancaster, PA

                  • PATRICIA BENTLEY
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Jess

                      Dont be nervous as most in all groups will make you feel welcome the moment you walk in if it is easier for you meet people with a friend in tow then pick up on the newbie board and become friends with others first make your first event something simple. A class or fighting group were it is small and not as busy, YOu can also meet up wiht the chaitlaine of your group first and ask to meet her/ him then you can arrange a meeting at the event or before so you are not going in completely blind. Remember you are going to have fun and learn new things and everyone is new at something once or twice in there life. Be yourself and enjoy before you know you will be making more friends then you can name

                      gisele

                      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: j_bear81@...: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 02:06:58 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] advice

                      Hi,I just learned about SCA and am very interested in participating. However I am a fairly shy person and am very nervous about going to a meeting not knowing any one. I could use some advice on going to a meeting for the first time. Some words of encouragement would not hurt as well.Jess

                    • Let's just leave it as "Sean"
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 5, 2008
                        My deepest apologies for addressing you as M'lord. I saw Jess and
                        thought Jesse (as in James). I truly feel the dullard for assuming,
                        we all know what happens when you assume.
                        Once again my deepest and most sincere apologies.
                        Pax, Sean the Poor