Re: An Irishman Discovered North America , not a lame viking or crazy Italian.

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "williehowie2002"
      <williehowie2002@...> wrote:

      > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
      > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true.

      It is theorized...
      There is a large gap between truth and theory.
      What was _proven_ was that it was possible.

      It could certainly have been an allegory...
      the Western Isles of Hy Braezil (sp?) were also cited to be the Irish
      Heaven, Sometimes called Undying Lands and the Iland of Women, and a
      trip to and from those "western" lands figure in many Irish legends,
      includign the prechristian legent of the voyage of Bran mac Febal...

      It is certainly true that the Viking reported the existence of
      isolationist Irish Monks in many places they "discovered".
      What is also likely is that the Irish monsastics were following the
      reports of Basque and Bretagne whalers and Codfishers who are
      believed to have frequented the rich fishing grounds of the
      Newfoundland banks areas since prechristian times.

      > In 583 AD, St. Brendan
      > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
      > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
      > called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
      > west coat.

      A "curragh mor" ("Great Currach") to be exact.
      And if you read the "voyage of the Brendan" book by Severin, you will
      know that the construction fo the Curragh Mor was extrapolated to
      make a transoceanic boat. There were no existing plans or models for
      a deep sea sailing curragh.
      What Severin had to work with was coracles and currachs of the west
      coast of Scotland and Ireland, some of them made of tarpaper, not
      hides.

      > St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
      > visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is
      still
      > in publication today.

      ? Where is the original manuscript published today?
      I would like to read it.
      Is it translated? who did the translation?

      > Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
      > years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
      > Brendan Manuscript.

      I believe that this statement is Apocryphal.
      There is no account of this visit I can find anywhere from before the
      20th century.

      > In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
      > across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
      > Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
      > capable of making the trip.

      It was but he and his crew needed a number of modern conveniences to
      manage the trip...

      > That's the story.

      It's a Story for sure.
      Truth?
      I think it is probably true, and further more I believe he landed in
      Long Island Sound, but beliving something is true is not the same as
      that somethign BEING true.
      "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" as the saying goes.

      > May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
      > drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink
      all
      > day, unless you start in the morning.

      My favorite past time!
      Slante'!

      Capt Elias
    • Jeff Suzuki
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
        <williehowie2002@...> wrote:

        > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
        > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
        > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
        > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean.

        Let's not forget Hsi and Ho (2300 BC)...

        Jeffs/Fujimoto